Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great lakes "fish tug"  (Read 5821 times)

mark w

Great lakes "fish tug"
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:29:44 pm »

thought you guys might like to see something different; a great lakes "fish tug". They were built mainly between 1900-1950's on small tugboat type hulls that were full enclosed over the years for weather protection. length is between 35'-60', of wood, then later steel construction. fishing is of the "gill netting" type. My model is 1/2"=1' and is 24" long. I purchased the hull from a gentleman in the Wisconsin Scale Model Boat Club; www.wimodelboats.org. I planked over the upper part of the hull to simulate a wooden upper hull. Both roof sections are removable and are covered with sand paper with "CA" seams to simulate tar. Power is a small 6V motor with a 6V,  4 amp gell cell battery. There are some good sites for researching the full size boats, just search "fish tugs". Being from California I had never heard of this type of boat before and thought it would be a one of a kind at the local clubs. I was right, no one had ever seen one before.

Mark

The Antipodean

Re: Great lakes "fish tug"
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:33:22 pm »

Very cool model there, and the weathering looks great.
Never seen the like before but they do make for an interesting sight at the lake I bet.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:00 am »

Nice model of on unusual and seldom modeled vessel. The Canadian design tends to be slightly different from the US design. Here are some shots of two of them.

John

andygh

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:54:45 am »

Weird and wonderful  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:15:53 pm »

If I made that as a 'Springer', no one would believe me!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:13:53 pm »

Martin..........a Springer...yeh, go for it. :-))

Here's a web site with loads of pics of great lakes fishing tugs, both US and Canadian.

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fishtugs/Default.htm

John

Landlocked

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 04:02:33 am »

The "original" Door County WI maritime museum at the tip of peninsula has some excellent displays and discussion of fish tugs. 

Many of them were powered by semi-diesel engines.  They were low compression engines with a large bulb of metal at the top of the cylinder to provide a glow plug like effect, when combined with compression heating, ignited low quality fuel.  Blow torches were used to pre-heat the bulbs when starting up and when recovering from stalls.

They were environmental disasters with gravity fed, single pass lubrication systems that drained to the bilge.

More Coffee

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:18:09 am »

Nice lil' ship...
If you ever decide to do a sound module ..

NH Series Cummins Diesel..or a 3408 Caterpillar

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:25 am »

This type of combustion chamber was also used by Mack Marine engines, although they weren't a one pass lube system, but a conventional oil pan. Here's a shot of one in , what used to be, an oil tanker on the Muskoka Lakes here in Ontario. The vessel has been rebuilt for a passenger cruise vessel on the same lake system . The engine has been rebuilt to go with it. Apparently there are only about four of these in North America, and three are in museums. This one is still earning its keep.

John

tugtrawler

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:10:11 pm »

Really nice looking model  seen many of these boats  where I live over the years sadly one real "old timer" was scrapped will post pictures

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 03:27:37 am »

Thanks for the comments. I've been thinking of building a larger 1/12th scale version (50"), to go with my other 1/12th scale models  :-).

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.