Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prinz Eugen  (Read 4848 times)

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
Prinz Eugen
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:50:51 pm »

Hi Guys
Anybody here got a Graupner ARTR Prinz Eugen that they can post a review on i would like to know the ins & out of this kit before buying ,its listed on A M W site for about £650 .What time frame does this kit represent , is there photo etch is the paint scheme right do all 3 motors work is there RX/TX stuff like that.
cheers
gary rowe
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Prinz Eugen
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 01:43:32 pm »

Guys
Come on somebody out there must have a Graupner P/E they can tell me about there are after all nearly a 1000 of us Mayhemers.
gary rowe

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:51:11 am »

Guys
How can i decide if i really want one if nobody is going to post a review, so how about AMW they sell it so why not review it as well please.
cheers
gary rowe

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 03:08:55 pm »

This is a relatively new model, and quite expensive. Maybe not unusual if no one has bought one yet. It may be that AMW don't hold this model in stock, and only order it from Graupner if they receive a confirmed order from a customer, due to the cost of this model.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 04:11:44 pm »

Shop around, they can be had for around £500 if you don't mind buying online.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:40:55 am »

I am wondering about this muself.
I am building a 1/72 scale Prinz Eugen, I will radio control the Heller  1/400 scale one bought as a 3 dimensional plan so this one would fit between the 2.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Pointy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 08:07:26 pm »

I do have one but have refrained from commenting about it as I am unable to post pics of it on the forum.

So if you are interested please wade through the lenghty text below.

Model represents the Prinz in 1942 ARTR, motors installed but no Rc gear/speed controller, batteries etc..
Fibreglass hull, strong plastic superstructure and decks most of which are overlaid with wood simulating teak. Brass railings and stairs.
Packing was poor and it arrived damaged.
Build and paint job is very good.
Main armament is well done but anton and dora turrets sit on to high a Barbette each. Main turrets can not rotate and gun barrels are solid.
Heavy AA (10.5), dimensions look good but they have not been well executed, the barrels are poor, details are lacking and the gun carriage is open at the top rather than an enclosed unit.
Verling and light AA, good but lacking detail.
Torpedo tubes are very well done but lack the open "cockpit" as seen in 1942
Radar Mattresses are poor and inaccurate for 1942 thier brass fittings not well bent or installed (by a single pin) well on the model.
Rigging, present but all over the place (mine was damaged in transit) Put back together the best I could.
2 bow anchors are present with appropriate chains across the forepeak.
the quarterdeck also has a long chain running across it but their is no spare anchor at the stern like the real Prinz 1942. I believe the purpose of the chain is to secure a flap of deck giving which gives access to the tiller arm. 10/10 for model design but its totally inaccurate and frankly annoying.
Funnel well done and painted black inside, it like some of the superstructure has brass handholds.
Model has 4 (!) propeller guards, 2 at the stern, port and starboard over the wing props. Then we have another 2 port and starboard by the bows where the boat booms should be. They are very vulnerable but can be "persuaded" to fit flush with the hull.
Interior of the model is very neat, smooth and clean. Motors look okay, insulated and wired but old somehow.
Superstructure is very good, windows and portholes being punched through the plastics, bridge is very well done.
Spherical range finders okay, but the smaller AA range finders next to the the forward spherical range finders are awful- imagine a cake shape object with handlebars.
Hull portholes are present but merely indentations on the hull.
Catapult is eyecatching but totally wrong. Its the lattice type and would go well with an IJN cruiser. The Hippers had a solid type.
Arado very well done, but only painted in a dark green colour, cockpit is clear plastic.
Model has 3 propellers, think they are brass but poor quality, blade of one was bent in my example.
Ships cranes can rotate and are quite well done but supplied with a silly hook on a very long thread.
Ships boats are well done, even having some wooden decking in some, ships jolly boat left to dangle by thread in the goal post type davit- not secure and looks silly jiggling away with every movement.
Model came with 2 oversized plastic flags attached to forepeak pole and stern staff- these were awful and made the model look "toy like" these were removed. Breakwater and anchor chain capstans very good but other deck features sparse.

All of the above could be put right by someone willing to put a lot of time and effort into it. The model is crying out for more detail- the result would be very impressive. However this is supposed to be an ARTR model and for the £680 (not including RC, speed controller, batteries etc..I paid for it- why the hell should I have to? Besides I still have no idea what paint they used.

Model was brought in November- as was the RC gear and speed controller but no batteries yet- can't be bothered anymore.
The company I brought the model from were sympathetic even supplying some replacement parts for those which had been damaged in the delivery and customer service was very good. Annoyed reading it is cheaper by other means.
I'm "disheartend" to tell the truth and chances of this expensive non working lump seeing the water at all at the moment is pretty darn slim.

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:08:27 am »

Hi Pointy
I am glad that you have posted a review of this model but you don't mention who you got it from , a bit of bad press can do wonders.you also say that they were willing to replace some parts , what scale is it?.
Is it worth it or not !.would you buy another
cheers
gary rowe

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 12:54:14 pm »

Bob,

Chris Davenport. in Southampton, was building a Fleetecale Prince E.  This was some time ago and I don't know if he ever finished it!!!

Ken

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 05:45:19 pm »

Still in his garage

Bob
Officially a GOG.

A Model World

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem does what it says on the tin
    • A Model World
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 11:20:55 am »

OK well to answer your many questions a review of this boat and before that a smit rotterdam will be published in I believe Model Boats, we have and will do again have the eugen in stock It wont be a case of order one and we get one. the reason it is out of stock at the moment is due to shipping problems, they are arriving damaged to us some with a 10 minutes and a bit of glue are put right before we ship on to customers others are too damaged without spares to sort out. We dont want to send out a item that will likely arrive damaged hence the transport method we are having to use. Pointys boat (though I am confident it did not come from us as we have sorted all our customers out) is a prime example. Yes at 600 and odd pounds it is not RTR it is only ARTR but answer this, if any of you are happy to start building these bear in mind the time taken we will happily by them from you at around 5 or 6 hundred pounds. I dont think there will be many offers. The purpose of this boat and some of the other built stuff from Graupner is to answer the calls from people who cannot or haven't the time to build tugs, fishing or prinz eugens for example for those that can build stick to the fleetscale or Aeronaut kits then you can do your own.  I suppose really thats why most of us drive cars bought ready built if we had the time and knowhow we would all by kit cars and assemble them and save a fortune and themn have them exactly as we wanted as well. but we dont we take what is on offer to us.     

On the P Eugen front Graupner are at the moment reviewing packing of this boat and until it is packed better we are loathed to order many. we will as our vehicle can transport several (undamaged) have them on show at the Epic in March but one other point to note 1 guy who bought one of these drove a Citroen C3 please be aware of the length of this, I believe he is now buying a larger car. We may even have the price back down again too but at the moment as the only safe way to ship is via our own truck and or by arrangement in this country to get it to you somehow flat.... we have kept the price to support the cost of the transport. So watch out as we are known for being the cheapest there is a reason we may not be on this, but at least ours will arrive now undamaged and if anyone wants one and they will collect at the shows or by arrangement we will do them a lot cheaper than our quoted price, give us a call.      Graupner may get it packed in such a way as it cannot move maybe by way of screwed through the hull with an insert to seal after unpacked is the thought at the moment If you have a better idea let us know in the meantime our own vehicle will bring several in for us in February        
Daily flogging?of the ships crew will continue until morale improves

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 07:57:35 pm »

Hi Pointy
To answer your question the ensign is flown from the stern gaff.
Scharnhorst should be good to go by the end of March so the channel dash can be anytime after that.
i am glad your PE is coming together and your back in the groove.
cheers
gary rowe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.