Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spray Can Primer - Painting by Hand?  (Read 3569 times)

Aidi

Spray Can Primer - Painting by Hand?
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:02:56 pm »

Howdie,

Just about to start the prep before applying the first coat of primer to the hull of my boat.   Before i go out and buy a tin of primer, is it at all possible to spray from a can of primer into a pot, and then apply it with a brush?

Problem i have is the only place which i could possibly spray in has very poor ventilation.     

Can it be done?  Should it be done?  or just go buy a tin of primer from the local DIY shop??!!

Thanks in advance
Aidi

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Spray Can Primer - Painting by Hand?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:06:09 pm »

Aidi,

Had you thought about getting a suitable face mask? If you are spraying indoors, one should always be worn anyway.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Aidi

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:26 pm »

I have got a couple of those which i would intend wearing, the real problem is that i live in "communual" accomodation, so its more out of consideration for others which is my main concern.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:26:03 pm »

I've sprayed small amounts into a container for touching up, but not a tin full. It did seem to dry very quickly

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:28 pm »

Ok, thats fair consideration.

I do a lot of my spraying outside, this means I have to wait for calm dry weather to spray, but, while waiting for that I get on with something else - can you do this?

For the spray cans, sit them in hand hot (not boiling) water for a few minutes before spraying, you will get a better finish.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:34:24 pm »

I did some spraying outside the other week, them whipped it back inside before it got damp. I find the wheelie bin a good height to work at.

Aidi

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:34:53 pm »

Ok, thats fair consideration.

I do a lot of my spraying outside, this means I have to wait for calm dry weather to spray, but, while waiting for that I get on with something else - can you do this?

For the spray cans, sit them in hand hot (not boiling) water for a few minutes before spraying, you will get a better finish.

Ian

I can probably find a fair bit else to do in the meantime.   Thanks for the advice on putting the can in hot water, ill bear that in mind.   As for spraying outside, how much of an affect does temprature have?   Does the fact that temps are only around 3c max at the moment matter?  Or does it need to be much warmer?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:47:09 pm »

I have got a couple of those which i would intend wearing, the real problem is that i live in "communual" accomodation, so its more out of consideration for others which is my main concern.

I am not expert on paints, but a couple of thoughts come to mind.

Even if you spray into a can first, smell will still be your biggest issue if you share a place. The solvents are the biggest smell.
You can get small tins of primer (for brushing on) from the hardware store. You may need to check if this is an acrylic or other primer, then find a compatible top coat. The longer drying time will give you more time to work with the paint as well. As the spray can stuff can dry very quickly.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:18 pm »

Spraying anything indoors without the proper extraction equipment is a nightmare & it's impossible to spray successfully outdoors with temperature & humidity as it is at this time of year.

The solvents in aerosol cans are formulated to evaporate so fast it makes the contents unsuitable for use with a brush, the paint will likely start to drag & even harden on the brush as you're actually applying it.

You're far better buying a primer that's designed for brushing - I'm fairly certain Halfords sell such a thing.

As has been said - if you can wait until the weather warms up then warming the can will make it spray better (increases the pressure inside).
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:53:47 am »

Not a good idea to spray outside when the temperature is low. You can end up with the paint crazing later on down the line. As for spraying into a tin and brushing, forget it - the stuff is thinned for spraying and will set up almost immediately it touches the surface, so every brush stroke will drag.
FLJ

hopeitfloats

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:57:18 am »

spray can paint is usually fairly well thinned down to so it would probably be hard to get good coverage.

Aidi

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 10:47:41 pm »

Thanks for all the comments and advice.  I have gone out and bought a tin of primer.   

I am currently having a go on a scrap bit of wood to see how things pan out before putting the brush onto the hull.   Seems to be going well so far, and looks ok.   Only thing in am slightly concerned about is the line of paint where the masking tape seperates the top and bottom half of the hull.    Ill do some reading and searching on here and no doubt will find the answer on how to overcome this.

Rgds
Aidi

Wasyl

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:23:20 am »

Hi Aidi,..from experience when i used to restore old motorcycles,..in order to make ,"for instance"the side panels easier to accept spray paint i used to warm the metal/ or plastic with a hair dryer,prior to applying the paint,you can get brush on acrylic primer,bu eliminating the brush marks might be a pain,Depending on what size of boat your painting,have you thought about a home made spray box,i made one using large cardboard panels and it was 1400mm x 1000mm x 800mm,as for the masking line,i,ve seen some models whereby the guy has used the auto pinstripping,that comes in small rolls  and this can be had in many different colours and widths,

Wullie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.