Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 minute epoxy  (Read 1659 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
1 minute epoxy
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:38:14 pm »

Just bought a tube of self mix 1 minute epoxy. Used to seal a hull joint line on a revell flower class corvette, this was excellant stuff (expensive at £4 a tube) as it cam down the tube and mixed via the helix within the tube. straight down the joint line inside the hull smoothed over with and old bit of bank card. Glue comes with 2 mixer tubes so you do not have to use it all in one go! |Dries clear and is set in one minute but fully cured in 24 hrs.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

steamboatmodel

Re: 1 minute epoxy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:33:12 pm »

Be careful some of the fast set epoxies are not water resistant. I have had some of the 5 minute epoxies turn to goo after being exposed to water. I now use epoxies that are listed as Marine type and have not had any problems. For the plastic hull you would be better to use a solvent type that melts the joints together.
Regards.
Gerald.

dbninja

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »

Be careful some of the fast set epoxies are not water resistant. I have had some of the 5 minute epoxies turn to goo after being exposed to water. I now use epoxies that are listed as Marine type and have not had any problems. For the plastic hull you would be better to use a solvent type that melts the joints together.
Regards.
Gerald.

what steamboat said!   i have found over many years...    the faster the cure time/the faster the deteriation of epoxy glues!
i really have gone off the stuff, it doesn't age well, its worse when exposed to fuel and fumes,  i now only use it as a last resort!

the original Araldite 24 hour is by far the best epoxy glue imho!

right!   just off to smelt some bones down to glue.....    big project on! :}

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:14:43 am »

I like 3m 4200 polyurethane sealant for below waterline sealing.   :-)) It's a one-part product, comes in a tube, sets fairly quickly and dries with just a bit of flexibility.  So if I install a stern tube in a hull and it's not quite straight, the sealant will allow a bit of re-alignment.  It's not cheap, but it is good stuff.  Oh, yeah.  After you open the tube the stuff will set up and make using the spout near impossible.  Just poke a hole in the tube with an ice pick and squeeze next time you need some.  I have tubes that were opened 6 months ago, and have 15 ice pick holes, and are still producing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.