Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Aurigarius Springer Kit ?!?  (Read 115278 times)

Aurigarius

Aurigarius Springer Kit ?!?
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:17:26 pm »

Hello from sunny Germany *coughing* :)

I was following this thread for a long time. I think this Springer-thingy is a fabulous idea. I love the varieties you guys produce. There is no one like the other.
Sadly the idea has not taken off too much over here so far. So my buddy Torsten and I want to see if we can help to change this.

As we have a nice laser-cutter at hand, we thought we use this to build our first springers.
The idea grew more and more. And the plan was developed further and further, even before the first laser-cut was made.

Now we have version 1.1 and are quite happy with the first cutout. See what you think.  :-)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:04 pm »

Nice job. Do i see a kit emerging here?

John

Aurigarius

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:51 pm »

As the parts fit like LEGO, the build is very straightforward. After only 45 minutes we have this:

Aurigarius

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:31:36 pm »

Nice job. Do i see a kit emerging here?

John

At first we only had planned to make this for ourselves. We only wanted to make the basic hull with deck to try out a lot of different versions because we could not decide which look we liked the most.

If there would be any interest we could think about making a real kit out of this

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »

Wow!  :o

Great job Aurigarius, can we see a completed one yet?

"Hello from sunny Germany " Huh!  <*<

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Aurigarius

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:58:55 pm »

We are building as we speak...err...type...
this is from a couple of minutes ago.
Sorry for the shaky pics...we are so exited... :}

hollowhornbear

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:03:01 pm »

cool

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 10:11:23 pm »

Do you have your ow laser cutter or access someone else's?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bradley

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:14:02 pm »

Reckon this would sell well as a 'flat-pack' kit. :-)) :-))  You already have a 'captive' market among us Mayhemmers. ;) :-)

Derek.

Aurigarius

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »

@ Martin: the laser belongs to a friend. We may use it whenever he doesn't. We can make the parts in Corel Draw and feed the data straight into the laser.

@ Derek: ok, we will check if we can use the laser often enough to think about selling it as a kit. But I am not sure if I would be allowed to talk about selling it here. I am not familiar with the forum-rules at the moment. :embarrassed:

To the admins: Sorry  - if this is going into the wrong direction for you, please be so kind to tell me. I don't want to misuse this great forum. 

craftysod

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:48 pm »

Not just Mayhemmers Derek,
This could be a great kit for beginners,if priced right,this could be a big hit.
Look where lego/Ikea are now
Flat pack springer excellent

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 04:24:54 pm »

Nice Job ! The burning  (get it burning) Question  is How much do i have to pay to get a kit?????
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

des321

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »

This is a great thread. A good effort at a kit also. But hang on a minute. A couple of months ago I downloaded the side profile from this site. Surely that is all anyone needs. I have just finished my build (pictures to follow when the ice has melted) which cost almost nothing. It is made from scrap materials and bits borrowed from boats no longer in service. I only started this hobby one year ago and already have a couple of boats I won't be saiing much anymore.
I'm all for getting more people to build Springers and perhaps have club Water Polo events and the like. I consider the construction in the prototype kit to be way over the top. It can be kept much more simple. No need for all those cross members. For me the appeal of Springers is the variety of above deck constructions. Lets not standardise that.
Hope this doesn't sound too critical. I just wanted to add what I consider valid comment.
Good sailing.

andyn

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:32 pm »

Couldn't agree more.

omra85

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:43 pm »

Ah, but Des - some are just too "busy" to build their own ...  %) :-))
Danny

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 08:26:33 am »

A Springer "kit" works for me!  :-))

Bill Harris

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 09:09:45 am »

This is a great thread. A good effort at a kit also. But hang on a minute. A couple of months ago I downloaded the side profile...
I agree, more or less.  The beauty of the Springer is that the basic hull can be pieced together out of scraps in an afternoon.   But on the other hand, a Springer is all about innovation and I rather like the architecture of the laser-cut parts.

As the phrase goes, whatever floats your boat...   :-)

--Bill

hollowhornbear

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 09:46:04 am »

I agree too, but also think a kit is a good idea as it may encourage some less able to build their own. also nice and quick for a child to build with assistance, Go for it! :-)) :-))

Bradley

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 10:11:07 am »

I fail to see what the argument is about.  You make your own choice to either build from bits and pieces or, if a kit is available, use it. :-))  Why knock one or the other???????? {:-{ :((

Derek.

Aurigarius

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 01:57:37 pm »

Des I am completely with you on nearly all your points. I am in the hobby for many years now (most of the time RC-Car Racing, not boats though) and I don't see many problems finishing a model car, plane or boat. I enjoy building and finding my own solutions. But did you notice how many kits are sold compared to ready to run models? How many people prefer a complete all-in-box to a basic plan?

People may have a lot of reasons not to be able to buy themselves some pieces of wood and glue, some basic tools, print out a plan and so on. May it too little time (that one goes for me as well) or they think they don't have the ability to do it. So to make the start even simpler could bring even more people into the hobby and I think this is a good thing.

Even some people here in the forum, who surely have got the ability to finish a springer without a kit like this, like the idea. That encourages us to go ahead with the kit. Surely this will cost more than buying some pieces of wood in the DIY and when we come out with a price, some guys will disagree with it. But that's the nice thing about the hobby. The ones who like the kit will be very happy with it and the ones who like doing it all by themselves will also be happy with their own work and even may save a few bucks.

We will also be happy if our work is appreciated and we may even get a small payback for what we do (no one will get rich in modelling I am sure ;))

News on the kit: we have version 1.2 now and want to change one or two small things. Because of course it makes a difference making this just for ourselves or making a kit which we can sell.

We will do only the wooden parts. So some additional parts will be needed. So we want to make a list what parts are needed to finish the boat and of course we will make a small pictured manual (which now will be needed in two languages of course).

It's a lot of fun doing all this and it is even more fun to see that you guys like the idea.     

Bill Harris

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 03:20:39 pm »

There are good reasons why someone may not want or be able to build their own boats.  If you live in an apartment and don't have a shop or the tools to cut the wood.  Or you don't have a supply of wood scraps.  Or have never built a boat before.   A Springer is not difficult, but gettting the drivetrain to line up and the hull to be watertight and all the little details takes some experience.  A kit, and especially a laser-cut kit with an accurate fit on all the parts, makes it a lot easier for the new builder and indeed can be a rewarding experience.

Go for it.

--Bill

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 04:37:49 pm »

I like the idea of a kit. I do think however that a couple of options for differing tops might be worth considering, perhaps based on the suggestions on the first few pages of the RCGroups Springer pages.    Do a typical US style but also typical  German(?) or even imaginary European styles out of the basic wheelhouse parts giving options and a little customisation so that no two look identical.  Maybe even an optional just wood for the hull only kit to prompt the imagination as someone suggested.   A simple propshaft/motor lining-up device should be incorporated.  1/16th sheet is only sold in UK model shops in expensive 3ft lengths. The kit should include a piece correct size for the hull bottom so that a new builder isn`t forced to buy a whole model shop piece. I wonder if our French club in/near Paris is reading this?  My personal opinion is that Springer sides, bow and stern pieces should be at least 1/2" thick wood, ply or solid.
..well can you land on this?

des321

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 04:52:37 pm »

Good luck to the kit makers I say. I'm sure there is room for one in the market and anything to get more Springers on the water has to be good. I  guess those who would rather scratch build will continue to do their individual designs and the kit will appeal to others.
I hope that makes everyone happy.

Aurigarius

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 05:18:15 pm »

I do think however that a couple of options for differing tops might be worth considering,
We are considering this a lot  :-)
It may well be that we offer kits with various wheelhouses. We even thought about a special "soccer-version". As this forum clearly shows: Modellers never run out of ideas.

Maybe even an optional just wood for the hull only kit to prompt the imagination as someone suggested.

Yes, this was our first idea. But the wheelhouse we have now would not make the kit much more expensive, so we thought we make one complete with wheelhouse to see how it takes off.

A simple propshaft/motor lining-up device should be incorporated
Already done  O0

The kit should include a piece correct size for the hull bottom so that a new builder isn`t forced to buy a whole model shop piece.
Jepp...done!  O0

My personal opinion is that Springer sides, bow and stern pieces should be at least 1/2" thick wood, ply or solid.
I'm sorry but I have a metric brain. ;) It is made of 4mm plywood all around and it is very solid.

Version 1.2 in the making...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »

Well done :-))  My mistake on sizing 1/2" = 12mm. :embarrassed:   Yes a Soccer version would be an idea, need 12mm for that I think.  Maybe a "flavour of the month" new top every now and then ? 
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 21 queries.