Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY / Supermarket / self servervice tills ........ GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr  (Read 7676 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: DIY / Supermarket / self servervice tills ........ GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »

This is the way our Waitrose does it, and it works a treat. And no,we are not posh for using Waitrose, it may be a bit more expensive, but it is far and away better quality than than the others..I have gotten to an age where one is  carefull what one puts into one's gob... %)...Smudge
I'm with you Smudge, we also shop at Waitrose and use the self scan system, works great and no queuing at checkouts. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

andygh

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 01:55:07 pm »

First and only time I used one was at Snailsburys. Four-pack of Cobra Zero (guess what the alcohol content is........). Plonked the pack onto the bar-code reader and was told by The All-Knowing Eye "authorisation is required for this item".
I'm 58 years old.
It's alcohol-free beer.
I left it on the checkout.

Just to state the obvious. Alcohol-free beer, what's the point?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 02:01:15 pm »

It tastes a bit better than water and it doesn't get you p..................... Anyway, after six days a week of drinking that stuff it's a pleasure to go out on a Friday afternoon with my old mate Irish Dave and have a few pints of the genuine article c/o Black Sheep Brewery and The Falcon Inn...............which is where I'm headed right NOW!!.

FLJ

andygh

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 02:03:33 pm »

Fair enough, I think it tastes 'orrible though, I'd rather have beer free alcohol  %%

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 03:08:35 pm »

"......probably be one...." Colin?

This type of checkout has just been introduced in our local hypermarket. I was wondering if the "scale" actually weighs each article, I presume the bar code could trigger that element of memory as well. However, knowing just a little about weighing machines (former Inspector of Weights and Measures) and would be surprised and impressed if it could cope with the range of what I bought the other day, 15kg sack of dog food to a packet of sewing needles.

My guess is that it merely detects the number of articles placed in the shopping bag after scanning.

Any insider know?

I quite like the process and have had no problems apart from not being able to find my change in notes. The odd coins were spewed out at chest level but I could not find the notes until the next customer pointed out that they came out a slot at knee level!

I have used them at Tesco and B/Q. Not had any problems now I have work out the system. Dont use these till if you have any age limited purches unless there is an operator around has the machine stop until it is over ridden by an operator.

Roger the scales do work I borough 12 cartons of juice thats 12kg about and some other products . I then scanned 1 product and it did not read the bar code but the machine said there was unexpected item in the bagging area please remove. So I Think the scales are calibrated well and they do work.

John   

Roger in France.

Garabaldy

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 03:09:57 pm »

Everyone here hates them???

I think they are fantastic.  In aberdeen virtually all the big supermarkets have them and it reduces queing time hugely.  There is only one supermarket which is yet to have them installed and that is my local sainsburys.  The ques are huge!  Every day they twist back up into the isles.

I prefer to go to a human operated checkout if i have a big trolley load of shopping though :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »

My brother works in the industry and they have found a fiddle.

There is a particular brand of water that weighs the same as a brand of scotch.
You can scan the water twice, and pass off the scotch at the scale.

And before anybody asks, I am not divulging the names of the two products concerned.
But needless to say, one or other product will change.

All the good stuff has a security tag on it. But you have planted a seed . Do you think people will notice me walking around tesco with a pair of scales.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 03:19:50 pm »

Every day they twist back up into the isles.

Ah yes, the Road to the Isles....

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »

I went down that road but kept stepping in braggarts!
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 04:58:21 pm »

If the store dont have sufficiently manned checkouts, which they dont, you are virtually forced to use the DIY one or be stuck in a big queue behind 5 or 6 customers. The day I was in B&Q a member of staff was actively 'directing' customers to use the DIY checkout.

Perhaps I should have asked him instead of waving his arms about and insisting people come and use the DIY checkout, wouldnt he be better manning a till? Think I know what the answer would have been though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.