Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed Boat Plans  (Read 6245 times)

Koldness

Speed Boat Plans
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:07:52 am »

Anyone know of any plans around for a decent race hull to get started with, in gas? :'(

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Speed Boat Plans
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:30:30 am »

This design (NOT this boat) has raced with some success in the US, how it would fare under the Naviga or OMRA regime I do not know.
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=2392243

If interested PM me your e-mail addy for the files, available as dxf, pdf or broken down into pdf A4 pages.

I have run this boat as a fun boat with an older G23 and with a full mod 260 and there are quite a few out there around the world. Build threads can be found on RCU ;D
It will run about 50/55mph with a good engine but is flighty at these speeds, I have had some pretty spectacular blow offs with the 260 on board. Freeboard is low on the original plans and even on this version where it has been raised.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:43:55 pm »

Hi Koldness,

What type of gas engine are you thinking of. Glow plug (nitro) or spark ignition?

What size of motor, and what size of boat.

If you are interested in serious racing rather than just a fun fast boat, it is all very technical, and I doubt there will be any plans available that would be competitive.
There are some from the USA, but these are really expensive, and I don't know if they would comply with the racing rules in this country.

Regards Bob

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:29:56 pm »

bob can i ask what makes you so sure that boat wouldnt be competetive over here? it runs at 55 mph and im sure its capable of more with a few tweaks here and there to the design and the correct engine!!.looking at some of the boats that run over here i dont see why this boat wouldnt be good enough to compete to be honest.if it competes in the states why not here?.
Hi Koldness,

What type of gas engine are you thinking of. Glow plug (nitro) or spark ignition?

What size of motor, and what size of boat.

If you are interested in serious racing rather than just a fun fast boat, it is all very technical, and I doubt there will be any plans available that would be competitive.
There are some from the USA, but these are really expensive, and I don't know if they would comply with the racing rules in this country.

Regards Bob

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:04:27 pm »

Hi martno1fan,
Koldness first inquiry was for a boat to get started with, so I assumed perhaps wrongly, that there would be a limit to his set up knowledge.
It was more to do with the final set up than the basic boat build.

The under water sections of the factory produced hulls, have lumps and bumps all over them. Very few of which are symmetrical.
From what I have read of the American speed scene, they are more interested in straight line speed than we are. I have though, seen articles where they run boats that we would never put in the water and just show as concourse over here, that they race side by side round a course.

So what do I know.
Bob

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:32:49 pm »

Hi Koldness,

if it is something to play around and get started with it may be easiest to begin with a fibre glass pre made hull that you can put together and use. At least when you then crash it you can easy fix it and get going again. And has the advantage that someone else has done the R&D on it so it should go ina straight line pretty much out of the box. (Says he, only took three weeks to make my Miami know what a straight line was - hey ho).

Just my two pence worth.

Enjoy,

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 07:42:19 pm »

hey bob no worries mate i wasnt having a go at you sorry if i came across like that  ::) your right about the yanks (lol dont they just love been called that hehe) been more intyerested in speed over driveability ive used the rcu site for a while now and they are all speed freaks lol.by the way glen ive not read about many factory built boats running straight either lol they all seem to hooked from what ive read.i agree if its a race boat then buy a quality hull if you cant build one yourself dont buy one of the rtr boats unless its just for a fun boat.if you can afford one try dave marles panther they look awesome with a zen 7 doing near to 70 mph wahooo!!! lol im getting like the yanks now sorry!!

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 08:16:06 pm »

Hi again martno1fan,

No need to apologise, I did not think you were having a go at all. It was a fair question to which I posted an answer.

I started with I Cs in the early sixties, but went on to sailing in the seventies when I started to have problems starting motors, and then fairly fast electric.

When I joined Brid club about six years ago, there was a chap with  an up to date I C racer, and I just could not believe the speed, or the way it turned. I am into retro IC boats now and have a Cachalot, Snapper, Squadge, and a couple of others. They are pathetic compaired to todays boats though. But it's what I like.
I have a box full of I Cs, so just intend to keep building until I run out. Though with e bay, I keep buying new/old ones.   ;D

Bob

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:51:00 pm »

hi bob dont put yourself down for liking your boats its all about fun after all,i hear what your saying about the difference between a boat from the 60s and now my ic boat has a plane engine and ive spent a while on here trying to convince some older guys that todays marine motors are justy so much faster than the plane motors converted to marine use.by the way i know BRID well i spent ll my summers there as a lad and a young man as i lived in Goole east yorkshire till 12 yrs ago.all the guys here sail sailboats as do i but they will get a shock when i turn up with my new project a gas mono from scratch!!.not to mention the trimaran i have planned lol i guess were all addicted  ::)!!.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 02:14:37 am »

Hi again again martno1fan,
Believe it or believe it or not, I'm just home from work. (Note time please).
My buddy and I have just finished work, and I am many pints the worse, as he is of to Las Vegas later today to get married. Yes I work and drink.(there is a GOD)
Believe it or not, I lived in Goole, well just outside Goole in Swinefleet from 1988 until 2001, so we were nearly neighbours!!!!!!!! and I am a founder member of Goole model boat club. I have now given up the will, to try and read any more of your last post, but latter today, I will probably groan when I read this back. Even now I can remember MARTIN  instructing us not to Drink and Type.

Bob

Press spell check and go to bed

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 09:47:42 am »

oops forgot to say im now living in sunny blackpool ,i have to say you type better than i would if id had a few lol.ive never been to the model boat club in goole ill need to pay it a visit.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 02:17:23 pm »

I think the problem is we are talking about different hulls, I would have to agree with BobF that if Koldness was/is looking for an FSR-V type hull then there is no way a wood build can match the hull forms and performance of todays manufactured hulls. If however we are discussing an O type hull then a wood build has a reasonable chance if set up correctly. Naviga O class is now very similar to US style circuit racing (oval course), just run for longer 8-12 minutes as opposed to 6 laps.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 04:00:39 pm »

ian i was asuming he did mean the latter as oposed to fsrv !! what is it about the americans though they really dont like long races do they instead they seem obsessed with boats that do 70 mph or more without worrying about how to get round the next corner lol.they dont seem to get how different the fsrv courses are or how fast those things turn . some of the fsrv races ive seen on video the boats seem unbeleivably quick and turn brilliantly.you know more about them than i do i guess a lot is to do with the submerged prop and rudder under the boat?.it doesnt seem to slow them down any either contrary to what the yanks tell us.id certainly sacrifice a few mph for something that can turn on a dime as the yanks would say.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 02:20:21 am »

If you think about it long and hard you will realise why, and how FSRV Boats are able to turn almost in their own length, it's only physics after all. Just one very graphic example of physics being exciting to view in the flesh.

Like F1 when you are close.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 09:34:04 am »

dont confuse me i flunked physics at school  ::) :-\ ???lol

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:13:34 am »

....... I guess a lot is to do with the submerged prop and rudder under the boat.........
.....very graphic example of physics being exciting to view in the flesh.
......don't confuse me I flunked physics at school.....

You've already got the right answer Martin ;D

Regarding the US desire to go fast, that is everyones obsession I believe, it is then a question of being able to get the boat to handle it around a course (whether oval, M or straightline) in racing conditions. FSRV has greater requirements for good acceleration. RCU where Martin also hangs out has a lot of younger members as well, for them SPEEEEEEED is everything, a lot of unbelievable claims and unrealisable dreams surface......Typical for youth they want it NOW and it musn't cost either money, time or experience  ::)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 10:20:42 am »

Ian i knew id get something right lol!!,as far as fsrv goes the americans just dont seem to get them at all they are all obsessed with surface drives and wont even consider a submerged drive boat has its uses.how fast they turn amazes me to be honest even though i now understand the err physics i think!! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.