Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian boat on BBC  (Read 2815 times)

andygh

Wasyl

Re: Ancient Egyptian boat on BBC
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:07:47 am »

I saw a glimpse of it then watched your link,.and as i,m a retired wood butcher,watching how they joined those beam planks together by just using biscuit wedges was amazing,and the ay they used those Adze,s was brill,

Wullie

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:56 pm »

WOW  That was an interesting Hour. Thanks for letting us know.

Looks just like my workshop...(old gear   %) )

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

steve pickstock

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:24 pm »

Always amazes me when modern archaeologists are stunned when something that the ancients did works.

If I was an ancient person I would be insulted.

But what make it even worse is when they go somewhere and find that the same idea has kept on going down the centuries - the way the mast was stepped on this boat - or linen thread/beeswax caulking, and they go wow! as if they have made a massive discovery. If it works - leave it.

It was very interesting - though if those guys - the archaeologists - had done their reading they'd have seen that the Greeks used the same morticing on their tri-remes, it was used on the reconstruction a few years back. The programme didn't say whether it was or not, but I think they'd have found it sailed a bit better if she'd been ballasted.

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:56 pm »

If your over 50,then your ancient, %%

Wullie

steve pickstock

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »

"xxxxx"!

In that case I am insulted then.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:17:00 pm »

Thabks for that, a very interesting programme. I've only been to Egypt once to do the Nile tour and Pyramids but I'd love to go again.

Colin

regiment

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:20:48 pm »

when i was in salalah oman  i watched them build the boats  talk about craftsman  just with an axe

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:30:40 pm »

Seems like the programme makers missed a trick. By an extraordinary coincidence I have just been browsing through some old issues of Model Boats looking for something else and chanced upon a plan and article on Queen Hatshepsut's ship by Graham Dixey published in the November 1985 issue!

Colin

kiwi

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:14:03 pm »

Quote "Always amazes me when modern archaeologists are stunned when something that the ancients did works."

Seems archaeologists start with the assumption that the previous civilizations where less than us and our technology. Really ticks me that.
If only we still had ALL the old knowledge, maybe we would be living in a better place. The amount of modern greed and self-centredness seems to grow with the rise in Technology. We have a 2000 year history of conquer and destroy those who are different to us. And that's progress, because we are still doing it, albeit on a smaller scale.
I have been researching the dying art of hand crafted wooden boats from around the world, for some time now, and the skills these people possess is simply incredible.
With some of these boat builders, when employed in building "modern" designed wooden boats, using modern methods and materials, their skills at the least match and often far exceed those of current western builders. All handed down from father to son for centuries. When one looks at the wooden construction, hull shape and rigging of these craft, modern "developments" are laughable. And the materials they have used for centuries are fully recyclable, can't say the same for most modern craft.
Well that's me off the soap-box
Enjoy your New Year, and be healthy and wise
kiwi

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 07:36:01 pm »

when i was in salalah oman  i watched them build the boats  talk about craftsman  just with an axe
  Axe,..what Axe,that was,nt an axe,it was an Adz O0

Wullie

steve pickstock

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 07:56:55 pm »

Seems like the programme makers missed a trick. By an extraordinary coincidence I have just been browsing through some old issues of Model Boats looking for something else and chanced upon a plan and article on Queen Hatshepsut's ship by Graham Dixey published in the November 1985 issue!

Colin

I have just laughed so hard I nearly widdled.

Damien

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 05:16:57 am »

I'm really ticked of that the BBC choose not to let folks outside the UK view that video.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.