Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Measuring where to drill holes for shafts  (Read 3907 times)

Serr

Measuring where to drill holes for shafts
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:15:51 pm »

As I am new to scratch builds, I am having problems measuring where to drill the holes for the two shafts.
The boat I'm building is a UT720, Pacific buccaneer 1:50. I have the plans, but I am unable to use them to figure it out.

Is there a universal method to this? Thinking its different from boat to boat...

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Measuring where to drill holes for shafts
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:56:57 pm »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dicky (not quite sure it's justified   {:-{  ). Anyway here's what I did on my model:

1. From the plan determine where the drive line is in relation to the aft frames. In my case the drive line intersected frames 3 and 4

2. Mark and drill the frames with a hole the same diameter as the prop tube. This is done before the frames are fixed to the keel.

3. As planking progressed offer up prop tube to hull, aligned by passing through the holes in the pre-drilled frames. I did this before planking was finished to give easier access to inside the hull.

4. Mark point of intersection of tube with planking.

5. Drill hole and expand with file as required, checking progress with prop tube. I also used a spirit level to ensure no that no bend was being introduced into the tube.

The attached pictures should hopefully make the process a bit clearer,

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Serr

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:19:40 am »

Hi.

I should have been a bit more specific I guess. My hull is not made from scratch, I have bought a pre-made fiberglass hull from a store in germany. The rest will be scratch built though ;)
Anyway, I might be able to use the information you have provided here. I can cut out the bulkhead in wood, in the dimentions given in the plans.

That provides a another problem though, I dont have the plans infront of me at the moment, but I am pretty sure I only saw one cutout. Where do I place this bulkhead in the hull?
I had no idea what this represented before you replied, so thank you :)

The plans do not contain any text, so I guess I will have to study them for a while and see what I come up with.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:59:04 pm »

As you have a ready made hull are you sure that the shaft positions are not marked by a dimple or other indicator?

Failing that you should not have to make up bulkheads. A simple jig giving the vertical and horizontal position of the drive line should suffice. Two pieces of wood or plastic appropriately drilled and spaced 3-4 inches apart would do it. You could then use this as described in my earlier post.

Attached sketch should help explain

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Serr

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:02:30 pm »

There were no indicators of any kind, the hull is very basic, and the plans are not the construction plans if I can call them that. The plans only show a 1:1 layout of the ship, a detailed one at that though.
However, I was able to use your method, and it worked perfectly. I have now drilled the holes for the shafts.

I have a question, as this is a bare fiberglass hull, I will have to make a few bulkheads to strengthen the hull right?

Thanks for the help :)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »

I'm no expert on anything, least of all fibreglass hulls however, a few cross braces to keep the correct beam should suffice. I would fit the deck edge supports first though, if it was me. With these and the cross bracing you should have a firm base on which to fit your decks and superstructure. Look forward to some build pictures.  Best of luck

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Serr

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:25 am »

Sounds good, Doug.

There will be plenty pictures as the build progresses :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.