Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the Model Boat Mayhem Forum!  (Read 141295 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: What Mayhem is all about!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 03:15:39 am »

This is not obligatory Harinell, gives the impression that if you don't do a log, then your questions or advice is invalid. Some of us don't need the sycophantic praise others seem to crave.

Circlip, I don't believe that is the impression given at all, it was merely a suggestion; and to say that members who do post build logs are seeking sycophantic praise is, to me at least, rather offensive. Most, if not all, of the build logs on Mayhem are for the benefit of other members. They are there so others may learn from them, or even offer constructive criticism if necessary. I have gained much valuable information from some of the logs, and I feel sure that others have, too.

Peter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 07:27:06 am »

Some of us don't need the sycophantic praise others seem to crave.
Actually, Mayhem started with boat build logs (bblogs!) - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_models/01%20piranha.htm

The way to see the blogs Ian is to view them as paintings or cooking programs.... we share them for them to be enjoyed.

Re: 25 Posts. as Colin says "Model Boat Forum not an Ebay substitute bazaar. Members who have contributed to the Forum can advertise as a concession. Otherwise anyone could just register and use Mayhem as a free sales site. That is why we have the sales rules."
We had too many 'carpet baggers' use Mayhem to their own ends, taking without wishing to contribute to the Forum/community first.... that's what Ebay is for.

Martin

NB.  Topic name changed.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 10:27:52 am »

To be fair to harinhell, his first post clearly implies that he had already made himself aware of the rule/sticky.
In my view, he needed support and encouragement.
The virtue of Mayhem is a non-judgmental or patronising response to new starters from experienced modellers who are willing to 'direct' a newbie in the Mayhem maize. Many newbies initially want a 'quick fix' and increase their participation as they gain a foothold/confidence. On reflection, I chose Mayhem on this basis and consequently avoided others.
The search facility is neither a quick or effective feature for beginner's quick answers. I've been a member for well over a year and I still find it a pain........ and I now know my way around the site.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 10:51:15 am »

Some of us don't need the sycophantic praise others seem to crave.

Lost a bit in translation Peter. Don't understand why you are taking offence? Seen too many sites where the same old same old is "Trolled" over many fori for the item to be lost in a dozen "Oh what a good job Englebert" one liners.

Sorry, if you can feel paranoid, how is Harinell supposed to take
Then start a build log. Show us how you are getting on.
?

That's a statement,
not
a suggestion. Two can play the inference game  :-))

Harinells original post in sales was stopped very early but again, the snowballs are flying thick and fast.

Regards Ian.

You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

harinell

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:11 am »

Good Morning all, I'am sorry to have caused so much controversy, I'am 72 years old started into model boats 12 months ago, buying models that I thought that I liked and then deciding I would like something different, I'am building a Windermere launch at the moment and when I can upload photos I will do so.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 12:05:45 pm »

Hi Harinell

"sorry to have caused so much controversy",  think nothing of it... that's half the reason the site is called Model Boat Mayhem!  %%

The other good this this site is useful for is, a distraction when;

1. The glue is drying.
2. The lake is frozen over.
3. The good lady says, 'stop playing with your boats and do something useful!'
     ( come on-line to Mayhem but have a something important looking in another browser that you can quickly switch too! )
4. You've done something stupid on your latest build and you want to vent your frustration seek advice!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Lord Bungle

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 12:17:20 pm »

3. The good lady says, 'stop playing with your boats and do something useful!'
Mine now says 'you have a shed with a radio in, and heating, now go play with your boat and let me watch x factor, strictly come dancing in peace'  {-)

I find its usefull to sit next to her and test radio and servos when these 'programs' are on, this tip may help others with increasing their boat time  :}

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:46 pm »

For crying out loud DON'T KNOCK THE BUILD BLOGS.

They are a wonderful source of information after all "A picture is worth a thousand words"

I am building a Fairey Swordsman my first true scratch build apart from a couple of Springers. I spend more time looking at the build blog than with knife in hand.

To those members who take the time to write these blogs and take and post pictures I have only one word.

THANKYOU.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

harinell

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 06:35:05 pm »

Sorry, unable to load pictures always too big a file whatever I do, searching for information on how to.
thanking you in anticipation. Tom

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 06:59:29 pm »

Nobody minds people asking basic questions but it helps if newbies have a good look around the site first and use the search facility to try and answer queries. It's possible that their basic questions will be answered that way. There is a huge amount of information on Mayhem, it's there for the taking and it's all free!

Colin
Very well said Colin. Nobody minds helping out the newbie - or the experienced - when a problem is met. We all need a bit of help sometime and nobody objects to giving s hand up when it's deserved but what raises my blood pressure is the type that asks for help without having made an effort to help themselves first. This Forum is a mine of information but too often it ends up reinventing the wheel because somebody is too idle to use the 'Search' box. 
Barry M 

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »

Just pulled back a thread on how to seal and cover a Balsa hull with Dope and Tissue Barry, tried the search facility, useless, had to rely on Fred (my last remaining brain cell) for memory and as someone nearer to all zimmers than many, it's hard at times to try to remember which section or the author. The search facility is not Google and that's not a critiscism. Where it was originally posted and the last section it was posted in are nowhere near each other and I had to cut and paste the EXACT wording to locate the original artical.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 07:35:49 pm »

Yes, the search facility can sometimse seem to be a bit erratic. It's usually best to search from the Forum main page rather than the sub boards and you may have to experiment a bit with your keywords to get the best results.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 09:09:16 pm »

Sorry, unable to load pictures always too big a file whatever I do, searching for information on how to.
thanking you in anticipation. Tom

Tom, have a look here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23.0 Also, see reply number 26 in that topic to read about a free image resizer by VSO. It's excellent, I use it all the time.

I hope this helps,

Peter.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

my version of what mayhem is about........I started model boating about 5 years ago, I knew nothing (and still consider myself a novice) about boats. I had done r/c planes and helis, plastics and trains, so decided boats would be a change. I joined Luton Model Boat Club, and joined this site in Feb 2009. Since then, I have met and made lots of new friends. There is always a wealth of knowledge on here, and most people are more than willing to go that extra mile to help a mere novice, Martin has done a brilliant job on this site and he is one of the nicest person you could meet (apart from his taste in shirts!).  From online to Mayhem weekend through to Warwick and Alley Palley plus all the other shows held up and down the country, you will always find a congregation of Mayhemmers, normally standing around drinking tea and eating cake, taking the micky and dishing out pearls of wisdom and knowledge. There are various posts about fabled twenty pounds notes, favourite cakes, who ate all the pies and other items of novelty interest! a
All  I will say is that this is a great site, and I recommend all members old and new, to make yourself known at the shows, come and meet the other members, and have fun.........To all Mayhemmers, without YOU  there is no site. Have fun and model, life is 6too short not too!

klunk
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010, 10:11:38 pm »

I have been model boating all my life (well not yet anyway) but thanks to mayhem I have gained soooooo many more new friends in the past 5 years, than all the years doing straight running (well we are weird lot anyway, who would befriend us  %)) and all I can say is long may it continue, cos after all what else would we do.
Stand up in class and say "I'm proud to be a Mayhemer"............ok I'm ready to be put back in my padded cell------as long as it has a workbench.

Time to iron out the £20 note for Warwick.............only for show mind you  {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »

Now, now, Phil, did we leave that nice safe cell door open again or did you bribe your way out with your £20 note.
Nah you would never part with THAT!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »

............ Martin has done a brilliant job on this site and he is one of the nicest person you could meet (apart from his taste in shirts!). .............

klunk

I have to admit that I actually like Martin's shirts. They remind me of the ones I used to buy in Singapore in the 60/70s but any attempt to buy them now (let alone wear one) brings threats of divorce. Some people have no taste.  <:(

Barry M

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 09:22:16 am »

Don't forget that you can use Google on this site.

Just enter the right search terms. For example:

"model boat mayhem balsa tissue -fibreglass"

(The minus sign says "don't search for this item"). The above search brings up a wealth of topics - and under the first one, there's a handy link to "More results from modelboatmayhem.co.uk »" which help with focussing your request.

:-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 01:56:21 pm »

Yes the forum Search is not as good as Google (strangely enough!) and I have personal 'challenge matches' with it many
times each week, however the 'Advanced search' can be very useful eg. "Search in topic subjects only"

Re: Photos on the forum, also look at:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23.msg2630#msg2630
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2277.msg108900#msg108900

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »

As a reasonable newbie to using this forum ( Although registered some time ago) It took me quite a while to find my way around it, I'm not good with computer thingies, I have used the  search facility many times, but often been fruitless in my searches - it maybe the way I go about it - don't know.
         The main point I would like to make is many members enjoy giving information and sharing their experiences, especially when responding to newbies like myself, some even check the profile to see what age group they're dealing with - that can help!
          I've virtually learned all I know about modelling via this forum and from many pm's of kind souls, and have gained confidence due to the many comments I've seen posted such as : "ask questions" -- "no such thing as a dumb question" -- "we like questions"  etc. etc. and fortunately no one has ever yet, however politely, politically correctly, or inferred that I should spend hours wading through endless data however well stored, in the hope there may just be an answer to a problem or question I have.
         Yes I can use google, the library etc. ------ but sometimes it's nice to communicate with others also ----- THAT'S what I think forums are about, just my opinion - we're all entitled.

Regards, Tony.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 04:34:18 pm »

Perhaps we should have a sticky showing us how to use the search facility??

Regards  Ian.

Good idea Circlip. Huge kudos to anyone that posts up a definitive guide.  :-)

Update: Using the Mayhem Search function:- http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/seach_forum.htm

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 06:35:58 pm »

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 11:51:55 am »

As The Bishop and others have suggested the Search function can be improved but there are some who ask for help where the nature of the request makes it apparent that they have made absolutely no effort to help themselves either on or off the site. If they can't be bothered why should we?  >:-o

Barry M

Yeh, really friendly and welcoming Barry.
Nice one.

Some of the beginners on here are older than you think and not computer savvy.
I needed a lot of help just signing up to the internet when I started.
No a case of I couldn't be bothered. I didn't even speak the lingo.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
What Mayhem is all about.
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:55 pm »

Couple of weeks back I placed a post in the 'Wanted' section for a scan of a certain magazine and the plan which came with it.

Within 12 hours I'd had two replies, one forum member offering me not a scan but the actual magazine complete with the plan inside, and another forum member offering me a ready built hull/deck, complete with a motor, rudder servo, propellor and shaft, rudder and front dive planes all fitted. (which has just arrived safely and is a superb boat)

I was asked to contribute postage costs for the magazine, which I gladly did. Even though I tried several times offering some form of payment or postal charge reimbursement to the kind gentleman who sent me the ready built boat, he refused. but eventually settled for a "couple of quid in an RNLI box next time I'm passing". Rest assured sir, I shall be contributing somewhat more than a couple of quid in the RNLI box...

I'll mention no names, both members will know who they are...but I would just like to say a huge open forum "Thank You" to both gentlemen for their kindness...for once I am speechless.

Thanks guys...thank you ever so much. And thanks to Martin and Mayhem for allowing all this to all of us for nothing...

Thank you all.

Rich

Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Welcome to the Model Boat Mayhem Forum!
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »

Isn't it nice to have your faith in human nature reassured ever now and then.   :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.