Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What was your first mota?  (Read 12794 times)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: What was your first mota?
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2010, 03:00:23 pm »

Oh I wish I had some of the cars that have mentioned now. We have got rid of fortunes between us. Sad isn't it?
Good old classics that make really good money now.

If we didn't thrash 'em and trash 'em they wouldn't be as expensive now - it's because they didn't last the prices escalate...

I've had discussions with some friends that are avid local classis car club members - extolling the virtues of their old cars, how they're full of character and charm. They WON't drive them any distance though, only display them in the summer when it's dry at local fetes, etc. - WHY? too un-reliable, thirsty, noisy  and uncomfortable compared to their modern counterparts.

I love reminiscing about the 'old' things - but really wouldn't like to own or run one now, modern cars are just so much better.

Wasyl

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2010, 03:21:47 pm »

If we didn't thrash 'em and trash 'em they wouldn't be as expensive now - it's because they didn't last the prices escalate...

I've had discussions with some friends that are avid local classis car club members - extolling the virtues of their old cars, how they're full of character and charm. They WON't drive them any distance though, only display them in the summer when it's dry at local fetes, etc. - WHY? too un-reliable, thirsty, noisy  and uncomfortable compared to their modern counterparts.

I love reminiscing about the 'old' things - but really wouldn't like to own or run one now, modern cars are just so much better.

I totally agree,well almost,...until something goes bang,like an ECU whilst travelling at 130mph on the Autobahn,in Germany,..everything goes,at once,No brakes No power steering No Nothing,Not funny,...whats that Smell...Oh....anyone have tissues <:( {-)

Wullie

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »

Even Royalty had to start somewhere!

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2010, 05:11:07 pm »

Had one of those too. Fully restored it and rode it on the road for six months back in 1987. Swapped it for my current Triumph T100.

Wullie, is the Zundapp still in the Ukraine, when can I go and get it  %%????

Wasyl

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2010, 06:55:48 pm »

Don,t think I have,nt thought about it,..but it was bad enough getting myself out,without having to think about an old German Zundapp,6 hours it took to get through the border with Poland,it would have been double that,had we not given a border guard  100euro,s in order for our car to get to within 50 metres of the gate,at one point we were in a line of traffic 300 metres from the gate,and some people had been waiting 3 days,once through the gate,it took us a further 3hours to cover 200 metres to the Polish side, {:-{

Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »

Hmmm, I've got some Russian contacts and friends out there.... hmmmm.
Damnit Wasyl, you've got my brain pondering the possibilities and I'm trying to do some machining here.
What a find!

swordfish fairey

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »

My first was Mum & Dads old Mk1 1500 Cortina estate. But the first I bought for myself was a brand new, £630.00 on the road Moskvich estate. It was absolutely carp, but a load of fun, I carried a Rolls Royce Merlin aero engine in the back and it hardly deflected the springs..It came with a 23 piece tool kit, that was needed, including a lovely all brass pump that I still have. I gave it to a friend when I joined the RN in 73 and it had almost rotted away by then. But I did have some good times in it, and in the back of it, so it does have a firm place in my heart. ;D ;D..Smudge

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »

Dodge comma wrap round van , and i blew the engine up and had to buy a vauxhall viva for a replacement engine . Absolutly brilliant as it was the one i drove after passing my test , 6 months or so later whilst taking my sister in law to the hospital for the birth of her first , she nearly had it in the back of the van . We were driving up arras hill to Beverly when the side door came open and as it was a rear hinge door it slammed into the side of the van with a bang , the rest of us nearly had kitten's {-)  {-)  {-).
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2010, 10:25:00 pm »

I once saw one of those, TT, that had had  all the front panels of a MkII Granada grafted on. In Silloth of all places. Looked really good.

Speaking of MGCs, Wullie, I had one, believe it or not, a convertible with auto. The factory, apparently, doesn't admit to making any, but it certainly wasn't a lash-up.
I went to the LeMans classic 2 years ago and was speaking to a guy that had an MGB GT automatic, he said it was one of only about 10 made as prototypes for the American market, very thirsty as it never gets out of second when running about town, it only had a 3 speed box.
Alan

garston1

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2010, 10:57:13 pm »

Great, but which one is you?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 1.025 seconds with 22 queries.