Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 4870 times)

DARLEK1

« on: January 15, 2010, 12:28:30 am »

Have any of you guys seen this film yet?

It blew me away, seen it 9 times so far and can't get enough!

Paul...

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:06:27 am »

Yup, saw it over Christmas week. Great movie. I want to see it on IMAX, its supposed to be much better.
Its interesting the parallels between the indigenous peoples on the movie and the handling of North American indigenous peoples with the westward expansion of the States.

John

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:29 pm »

Yes Paul and John you are correct it is a great flick, and very well done............ :-)) :-))

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Wasyl

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 01:55:15 pm »

I,m going to see it on Saturday,at the cinema they have it in 2D and 3D,needless to say, i,ll watch it in 3D,I,ve read all the write ups and seen small snipits, and whilst i have to agree that i like what i,ve read,and seen,I fear that again it shows what this kind of film is all about,and the parallels that will be drawn from this film will mirror what America has been doing for decades,..What America wants,America takes,The format of this film,..new land rich in minerals,we must have,..they could,nt make a film that showed that this is what they do,so its dressed up as a Sci-FI,
It reminds me of a film that Hollywood wanted to make in the late 60,s/early 70.s,about the Massacre at Mai Lai in Vietnam,but the American,government would,nt allow it,so they made a similar film,..Soldier Blue.

Wullie

Admhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:59 pm »

It's interesting to see some of the comments from people and groups around the world about the parallels and resemblances to US history, even racism. Some people see it as a typical American view point/storyline.

The problem is, James Cameron is a Canadian. He picked this story and ran with it ( I think he even came up with the idea, but can't remember). He was given carte blanche to do what he wanted because of his earlier movie successes and the studios knew he could make money.

He made a mega flick that has made money and is popular in the US, the biggest market. He doesn't have any interest in a pro or anti US themed movie, or history lessons. He obviously was influenced by other popular movies and story lines. It's simply entertainment.

It is a great movie, the 3D effects are awesome and he will go on to make even more blockbusters.

And as a Canadian, he Rocks!!  :-))

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:18:10 pm »

...we saw it over the holidays, but sadly 2d as paignton is apparently a backwater, great speech to rally the troops, but it is a double-edged sword which is open to interpretation, not to stroll down the alley of political correctness. The pc game is preety good as well with many levels and detail as to the planet of Pandora, with descriptions of floral and fauna, and some pretty cool weapons, you even get to fly the big Ikrans, only about half way through, I'll let you know how it goes.

Robert

DARLEK1

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 12:24:28 am »

Make that ten times as of tonight!
 Paul..

Wasyl

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 01:44:45 am »

You,ve got too much money,...or else a very good copy %% {-)

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 03:25:07 am »

As for history.
It is not fair to single out the USA.
The British Empire was no different. Nor is any other dominant culture/empire in history.
Greeks, Romans, Vikings, Normans, Russians under Stalin, etc. It also happens at a lower level within nations, and right down to the school playground.

Those who have the power (political, economic, technological, military, physical, etc.) will exploit it to their own benefit. This often means taking what they want from those who don't have as much power. Sometimes this leads to capitulation, othertimes a fight. It's human nature sadly  <:(
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 03:48:52 am »

As for history.
It is not fair to single out the USA.
The British Empire was no different. Nor is any other dominant culture/empire in history.
Greeks, Romans, Vikings, Normans, Russians under Stalin, etc. It also happens at a lower level within nations, and right down to the school playground.

Those who have the power (political, economic, technological, military, physical, etc.) will exploit it to their own benefit. This often means taking what they want from those who don't have as much power. Sometimes this leads to capitulation, othertimes a fight. It's human nature sadly  <:(

Its fair to single out one nation that professes to be built on equality for all and attempt genocide on one race that they consider , in the 1800's at least, to be no better than animals. You can certainly quote other civilizations that have done similar, but I don't think their constitutions were built on a perceived equality for all that was only practiced for one racial group. Even when the Brits were empire building I don't think they went that far. They considered indigenous peoples where ever they were to be non nations and therefore up for grabs to be under the control of the "empire. In most cases those indigenous peoples were made part of the empire and not attempted to be wiped out.

John

Dreadstar

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:39:45 am »

With the exception of the original Tasmanians,who were wiped out completely,no,in general the Engilsh didn't go that far.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 01:39:22 pm »

Off to see it tonight

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 03:09:46 pm »

Its fair to single out one nation that professes to be built on equality for all and attempt genocide on one race that they consider , in the 1800's at least, to be no better than animals. You can certainly quote other civilizations that have done similar, but I don't think their constitutions were built on a perceived equality for all that was only practiced for one racial group. Even when the Brits were empire building I don't think they went that far. They considered indigenous peoples where ever they were to be non nations and therefore up for grabs to be under the control of the "empire. In most cases those indigenous peoples were made part of the empire and not attempted to be wiped out.

John
Apart from British and the Boers. Burning the farms and the invention of concentration camps.

Spanish with a bounty on the ears of South American Indians in the 19th century, in Argentina. In the name of GOD, not liberty etc.

The holocaust.

Rwanda. Tootsi Vs Hootu

Uncle Bod (Robert Mwgabe) in Zimbabwe. Shona Vs. other tribes.

Serbs Vs. the rest in the Balkans.

Iraq. Sunni Muslims Vs Shiites.

Tibet. Han chinese Vs locals

These are off the top of my head without even without any research.

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 03:13:38 pm »

Apart from British and the Boers. Burning the farms and the invention of concentration camps.

Spanish with a bounty on the ears of South American Indians in the 19th century, in Argentina. In the name of GOD, not liberty etc.

The holocaust.

Rwanda. Tootsi Vs Hootu

Uncle Bod (Robert Mwgabe) in Zimbabwe. Shona Vs. other tribes.

Serbs Vs. the rest in the Balkans.

Iraq. Sunni Muslims Vs Shiites.

Tibet. Han chinese Vs locals

These are off the top of my head without even without any research.

Power corrupts. Aboslute power corrupts Absolutleuey. There is no moral high ground here. Even Canada has its skeletons, fom WW2

Wasyl

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 11:15:43 pm »

Hi guys, My wife and I went to see it tonight,in 3D,...what can I say,...first,I eat my words, from my first post,...after watching that movie,I don,t care if Parallels are being drawn,for me and Avril,that was the best value for £18 we,ve had in a long time,and i will be going to see it again,if only to see those Pterodactyl like creatures,..they were Awsome,..in fact the whole movie was great,as was the sound track,... roll on part 2/3  :-)) :-)) :-)

Wullie

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 12:13:41 am »

The thing is, as I mentioned before, the US professed and still does, it was based on equality, freedom and democracy. All the while these values were trodden into the ground for various groups they didn't want (in this case the indigenous peoples of North America). This occurred even under a so called peaceful existence. All those other aspects of genocide you mentioned (and others you didn't) weren't based from a country that bases itself as the world leader in humanity, democracy and equality.

Nuff said. this thread is about a movie and not politics.

john 

DARLEK1

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 12:23:01 am »

Please don't let this thread end up being  a fart yet again, I just posted to say the film is mind blowing, what happened in the past happend in the past, THIS IS A MOVIE wich IS AWESOME and that is all.
 IT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING APART FROM TELLING US HOW WE SHOULD BEHAIVE WITH OUR OWN LITTLE WORLDS.

Human is human, we are mother Earth's WORST CREATION!

It says to me take care of what you have got or otherwise lose it in a nasty way.

Paul...

ggeorge

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 12:41:32 am »

My wife saw the movie when it first came out and totally enjoyed it. We had the opportunity to see it again in 3D and IMAX on Thusday and seeing it in this medium was a whole new experience which I highly recommend it. So enjoy the movie it is just a movie and good entertainment.

DARLEK1

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 12:43:45 am »

Nice one George!
 Paul... :-)

PMK

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 02:29:13 am »

Nuff said. this thread is about a movie and not politics.

True, true. But you did make a good point regarding the indigenous peoples of N. America, nonetheless.
I'm with you. I mean, look what they did to the Sioux, for starters.

Just out of curiosity, how come we Brits are always having trouble trying to disguinguish any difference between the Canadian and the American accents? Canadians tend get a tad miffed if you mistake their accent as American, and Americans tend to get a tad miffed of you mistake their accent as Canadian. How did you both get to have similar-sounding accents in the beginning anyhow? What happened?

Is our (British) learnings from schooldays correct, is it true that a few remaining Sioux ended up in Canadian territory?

Admhawk

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 03:31:03 am »

A bit off topic, but I'll dive in.  %%

Some Sioux came to Canada and there are still some in the US.

Canada and the US are the two closest countries, culturally, that I can think of. We still maintain our ties to Britain via the Queen and our oaths and some traditions, but with Radio and TV and consumer goods and an open border, almost everybody I know has a relative on both sides. Before this stupid war on terror, we could cross at will without showing ID. Half of Hollywood is Canadian and half of the Canadian corporations are US owned. There are Canadians in the US military and we have joint air defence in the North.

The US has dozens of accents across the land and Canada has a few as well. There are a few phrases and word pronunciations that are fairly distinctive to Canada. Eh and aboot being two of the more well known ones. While the typical American uses Uh and in the south it's more like abowt with the ow stressed.

In general, the farther south one goes, the more of a drawl is introduced. A lot of Americans speak very similar to Canadians, but the distinction between these is more of attitude. Americans typically speak with more authority and aggressiveness. This causes the 'accent' to be more noticeable because of the attitude than  actual pronunciation. Canadians are more laid back, less confrontational, this again is often noticed and the accent detected partly because of the attitude.

Education has a lot to do with accents as well. I think we all notice (in the UK/US and Canada at least) that a lot of youth these days don't seem to get a decent education, so they all sound like gang members and dullards. But that's just an opinion. :o

Canadian TV has at least half American channels, and more. This alone has a huge effect on what we hear and how we talk.  O0

Of course non of this explains the Newfies or Texans.  %)

When I travel in the US, and I go down a lot, most of my friends sound normal to me, but they all hear my accent. I think they sound normal to me because of the TV and movies I watch.

Kind of rambling, does it make sense? Eh?  %% O0

The long Build

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 10:48:09 am »

True, true. But you did make a good point regarding the indigenous peoples of N. America, nonetheless.
I'm with you. I mean, look what they did to the Sioux, for starters.

Just out of curiosity, how come we Brits are always having trouble trying to disguinguish any difference between the Canadian and the American accents? Canadians tend get a tad miffed if you mistake their accent as American, and Americans tend to get a tad miffed of you mistake their accent as Canadian. How did you both get to have similar-sounding accents in the beginning anyhow? What happened?

Is our (British) learnings from schooldays correct, is it true that a few remaining Sioux ended up in Canadian territory?

Not seen te film yet , but sounds like it could be good , as regards accents I was born in the states , lived there on off 5years  30 Years in the Uk, went back to The States and a customs officer asked me what part of Australia did I come from !!!!    %%

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:18 am »

WOW, brilliant, stunning, best 3D I have ever seen, great story, great special effects. casting.........a must see film.

Just one thing. take something to clean lenses mine were a little smeared, I cleaned them before film and OK

Timo2

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 11:53:07 pm »

Has  to be seen in  3D     :-))

Great film

must see

Timo2

P.S.   even me at 63 it was great  O0 O0 O0

Wasyl

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 02:27:02 am »

I,m 60 this year going on 12,and saw it yesterday and will see it many more time,that you can be sure of,

its definetly the "Dogs Danglers"

Wullie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.