Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Frequency Flags  (Read 7865 times)

Tralee

• Full Mayhemer
Frequency Flags
« on: December 11, 2006, 11:53:29 am »

I have been to my 3 local model shops in Nottinghamshire and tried to purchase a Frequency Flag for 40MHz 40.685 but without success, anybody able to point me in the direction as to where i may obtain one of these

Daryl

Re: Frequency Flags
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:19:46 pm »

Try Howes of Oxford or Hunter Systems or Westbourne Models

Daryl

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 02:04:47 pm »

Tralee
Why flags are not necessary if you have a peg board and your membership is disciplined
cheers
gary rowe
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 02:21:59 pm »

Could be a clause in the insurance policy, the club I belong to has such a cluse in stipulating a requirement of frequency flags. Solution we don't bother as we all book in at frequency control before sailing.

Daryl

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:23:56 pm »

Tralee

I make mine using my computer and seal the paper with sellotape or laminate it (when I can borrow my mate's laminator). I have actually made and laminated a complete set for the 40Mhz range for less than £5.

Gary

It is not always convenient to have a peg board in play (someone has to bring it with them as we sail in an area open to the public. Even with a peg board I think a frequency flag is a good idea.

However, you can't legislate for the guy who thinks he's on 27 green because his flag was green and he didn't think the white numbers were significant  ::)  It happened to me a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

ron parker

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:58:56 pm »

dougal

I had the reverse of your experiance a few years back, when a very big dad was running his son,s speed thing on 27 green and it kept going into reverse, he like your friend? didn,t know anything about 40 megs and when he saw my green flag he was convinced that I was playing about and if I didn,t stop I would be going swimming, and no amount of explanation was going change his mind. it all got very unpleasant and I went away until he had gone but it does bring home the problem of some of these rtr christmas presents. so be careful
                                             ron parker

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 08:05:07 pm »

Does anyone have the colour codes for the complete range. Perhaps we could make our own   8)

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

lildavid

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 10:41:41 pm »

I purchased some large clear key rings(75mm x 35mm)on ebay for about a fiver, made the centers on the computer (green with white numbers) and fitted them together. The MPBA rules state that a flag must be flown in compertition but it doesn't say how big as long as its green with white letters. How many know that 35meg have to fly with orange flags ???

to Tug kenny      which range do you mean ? 27meg or 40meg

Dave

lildavid

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 11:05:17 pm »

Tug-Kenny     send me a personell message and i will forward the compleat 27 and 40 meg chart

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 11:15:35 pm »

Hi Lildavid

Just the 40 megs for me.

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

OMK

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 01:03:15 am »

I have actually made and laminated a complete set for the 40Mhz range for less than £5.

Doug, that's a good idea. Being that you made a complete set I'm presuming you have some quick-release method for when you change freq.
If you don't mind my asking, how do you do this?

Microyacht

Frequency Flags
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 09:55:48 am »

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 04:04:13 pm »

I have actually made and laminated a complete set for the 40Mhz range for less than £5.

Doug, that's a good idea. Being that you made a complete set I'm presuming you have some quick-release method for when you change freq.
If you don't mind my asking, how do you do this?

PMK

I use an old 35mm film canister as an eye protector on the end of my aerial. I tie a small string to the flag and trap the string in the lid of the container. It takes less than a minute to change the crystal and the flag.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

OMK

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 02:02:56 am »

Ah, right. Thanks for that snippet.
Do you mind if I pick your brains some more?...

Is there any specific size that the flags should be? You caught my attention when you said you made yours on the computer. I'd like to do ditto - it's a neat idea. But I'm unsure of the correct size specs. (if any).
Do you have a picture we could see of how yours are?

Thanks, Doug.
Apologies if I'm being a pain.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 09:52:44 am »

I used Photoshop - mine are about 2" x 8"  - I printed on stiff paper then placed two copies back-to-back and laminated. I left a length of about 0.5" of the laminating film at the top. I punched a hole in this and looped a ty-rap through. The loop in the ty-rap threads over the aerial and the tye protectpr stops it dropping off

TtW
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 10:15:11 am »

An easy way is to use 2" green ribbon and get a sheet of iron on printing paper the type they use for t shirts, print the numbers on the sheet then iron on the ribbon.cut a slot on the end use a bit of iron on tape to strengthen it so you can just slid it over your ant . Peter

Wiggy

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 01:58:01 pm »

As Lildavid said about the key rings, I have used this idea now for over 3 years at all events. The complete range of frequencies are on http://www.mpba.org.uk/technical/ukrcc.htm.

Wiggy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 05:12:59 pm »

PMK

As far as I know there is no specified size. The commercial ribbon ones I have seen are on 1" ribbon with appropriate size numbers. Mine are about 6" long and 2.5" wide (that's the laminated size) the actual flag is about 5" by 1.875" (seven-eights). I use a vector tool on a non windows platform with numerals set to 113pt. I can get 3 flags from an A4 sheet.  I print the numbers twice on a green background, fold in the middle and laminate. As I laminate I only use ordinary paper.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

OMK

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 09:45:34 pm »

Okay, I'm hearing you. Thanks a million for that. Now I've got something to go on.
I'm considering the iron-on method. I quite like the sound of that idea. But the laminated plain paper would seem to be my favourite choice. My niece has a laminater, so that's half the battle won.
Thanks again for sharing the know-how.
BTW, seven-eighths?... vector tool?
Now you've REALLY caught my attention.
I figger I've already pestered you too much, so daren't ask about THAT (dare I?).

Thanks to Wiggy, HS93, Wombat, et-all for all the valid info, also.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 10:08:05 pm »

PMK

seven-eights was meant to mean 7/8 imperial as in .875 decimal. A vector tool uses equations to record what has been drawn as oppsed to a bitmap tool which uses the pixel pattern eg jpegs (usual format for digital photographs). The end result is the same ie a picture.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 08:53:18 am »

Could you translate those measurements into metric Doug as I am trying desperatly to get the hang of this metric stuff :o :o :o
                                                                                                         cheers
                                                                                                             Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 09:30:40 am »

Roughly

1" = 25mm
    6"= 152mm
2 1/2"= 63mm
   5" = 127mm
1 7/8" =47mm

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 11:36:06 am »

Thanks for replying for me Richard however, you shouldn't let Bob sucker you. He thinks metric is a practical joke by the London police  ;D ;D

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 11:52:16 am »

Sorry I assumed Bob was one of those that didn't know his pounds from his kilowatts.

Sorry I answered for you . To much time on my hands.

Richard :-[
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 12:55:10 pm »

But I do have a utility mark  ::) :o getting back to the thread I have used my local car parts shop , he does sheets of vinal sticker on to which he will put any graphic just told him the style of letter and size and he printed a sheet of nothing but numerals .
                                                                                         Cheers
                                                                                              Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.