Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Original Duplex 575 rebuild  (Read 3218 times)

Patrick Henry

Original Duplex 575 rebuild
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:04:17 am »

Just started on the rebuild of an original Duplex 575 yacht, and it won't be too long before I need to get the radio installed. I bought a new GiantCod 2.4ghz set a couple of weeks back with the intention of fitting it into the 575, but after reading of the range issues with these sets, I begin to wonder if I should.

Does anyone use 2.4ghz in an r/c yacht? Is it a good idea to install this radio, or should I stick to 40mhz?

Rich

Flying Sparks

Re: Original Duplex 575 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »

Rich

I fitted a Spektrum AR6100e "Park Fly" receiver in my little Micro Magic, no range issues sor far. I think the range of the radio is much better tahn the range of my eyes! If you are unsure why not fit the receiver and carry out a range check.

Go for it.

Phil.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »

I like that Phil...I can just about see the rx, it's that perishin' small!!!  >:-o

I'll give it a try, it'll also save threading miles of aerial wire out through the deck and twisting it up the standing rigging.

Thanks,

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:24:51 pm »

I bought a new GiantCod 2.4ghz set a couple of weeks back with the intention of fitting it into the 575, but after reading of the range issues with these sets, I begin to wonder if I should.

U33,

Where did you read about range issues with the GiantCod T4Us? I have two which both seem to work fine.

What I suspect may be happening occasionally is a problem which affects all 2.4Ghz systems, that of radio shadows and reflections. 2.4Ghz propagation characteristics suffer from small skip zones and issues of this kind.

Expensive systems use multiple aerials to minimise this problem, but even then I hear reported problems. There is a simple add-on circuit up on the Giant Cod site which lets you multiplex two T4U receivers together and seamlessly take a robust signal from the slave if the primary one fails for any reason: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3050

I'm building a couple - they look like a very good safety feature...

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »

I'm sure I read on here something about range problems on 2.4ghz, DG...but from what you guys are saying I'm going to give it a try and see how I get on with it. The 575 isn't a big yacht, once it's fifty yards from I'd never see it anyway... {:-{

One further question...should the rx aerial wire point vertically or horizontally? There's only a couple of inches of it anyway, but I'd like to get it right first time.

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:49:16 pm »

With 2.4 the ariel is short. Above the waterline is important. So perhaps vertical is better. But I am no expert.

Also, some 2.4 have two ariels.

The range issue is with some of the cheapo 2.4 sets. However some of the 2.4 sets have good range, perhaps over 1km. The difference is with quality of 2.4 set, and this may be down to price.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:45:26 pm »

get on with the build I want to see this old boat of mine!!!  {-)
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Patrick Henry

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »

Go on the Radio Control Scale Model Boats page on Facebook...it's on there.  ok2

Rich

(or just click on the link in my sig...just down there.) v
                                                                            v

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:04:36 pm »

excellant will pm you about the site!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.