Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thick Heads, thin Ice,  (Read 6188 times)

bikemec

Re: Thick Heads, thin Ice,
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 10:22:57 pm »

BBc News report an pic of the car can be found here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8454242.stm

Wasyl

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »

There are No Grey area,s If I decide to take a  holiday in any of the Alpine resorts,wether it be in Germany,France,Italy,or Austria, and whilst there i decide to do an extreme sport,the simple fact is,In these countries I must have Insurance,The system works for these countries,so why can,t it work for us,
Its the same when I go on holiday,there is certain criteria that have to be adhered to,My wife and I don,t fly,we drive everywhere, and before we set off on any continental driving holiday we make sure we know what requirements are needed for each country that we visit,For the past 15 years we make our base in Germany,there its mandatory to have a Warning trangle,first aid kit,spare fuel,spare light bulbs,travel insurance,say for instance we have a puncture in Germany,and I don,t have a warning triangle..its an on the spot fine,
On one occasion approx 5 years ago I was in Switzerland when it was a really hot summer,average temp over 35deg c, and i was staying in a hostel in Grundewald, when i became unwell,..heat exhaustion as it turned out,i went o the local health centre and on showing my Health Card i was treated,FOC,
whilst i was there two guys were brought,they had been climbing,  one with a broken wrist and the other with a broken ankle.,
they too were from the UK,the got basic treatment FOC but were told they,d have to pay to have,an x-ray,have the bones set,and casts fitted and that they should claim on there travel insurance,on their return to UK, one said he did,nt have insurance,He was told,"that is not our problem,you will have to pay,if you have no money you will need to contact the British Consulate,to get a surety,
Yet here we read in the paper every winter about people getting lost,or injured in the Highlands when they have been inadequetly dressed i.e.trainers on, no waterproofs no compass,etc etc,and they can end up costing our rescue services thousands of pounds,
But having said about driving in Germany,there is one Service that is free in Germany,free if you are not a German,and that is calling for the assistance,of the ADAC,the German AA,if you brake down and are at a service station or rest stop,you can phone ADAC and they will respond even although you are not a member,and if they can fix your car/motorcycle and get you on your way,its FOC,..I wonder if our AA.or RAC would do the same for a forieign national???

Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:40 am »

Hi Wullie, the grey areas I refer to are only pertaining to UK residents, not to foriegn visitors. There is absolutly no reason on earth why we should pay for foreigners to have free NHS treatment other than the basics and on this I totally agree with you.
The grey aeras I refer to are things like eg: little Johny or his dad trying to do some daft jump on a bike, or perhaps some bloke mending his house using a dodgy ladder not fit for purpose or perhaps someone working under his car without sutable chocks to prevent it falling on him. It could be argued that these folk have put themselves in harms way deliberately so are we going to have an inquest each time somone injures themselves? It could all get incredibly difficult and messy and also very expensive. Just imagine the army of beaurorcrats and pen pushers needed to back it all up.
Having said that, I do believe those who actively indulge in extreme sports should carry insurance and it should be mandatory but then again, the sport may need to be carried out within certain club rules and membership if insurance is going to pay out on injury.
You can begin to see how messy it could all get. This is why I argue that the socially unnaceptable practice of deliberate self harm like drink and drugs and other areas of anti-socially incurred injury should be penalised to help pay for those who wish to improve their mind body skills by indulging in 'healthy' activities, whilst at the same time taking steps to prevent injury and damage to themselves.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 09:11:05 pm »

Sheerline summarises my views very well.

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

Your views might be summarised very well Colin,but they still don,t answer the question,of ..why the countries of mainland Europe can administer their laws on extreme sports Insurance and payment for hospital care,out with extreme sports,for UK tourists and other Nationals,yet we can,t,I,m of the opinion that the powers that be,here could,nt run a bath without flooding the guy down below,and we will continue to be the soft touch in Europe,
A prime example, was an artice in the paper yesterday,which reported that a foreign national from Poland was awarded the highest payout ever given to an individual,£7,000,000,+ for injuries he received whilst being a passenger in a car that crashed ,that, was being driven by an un-insured driver,now I do realise the man was entitled to some level of compensation,as he is paralysed,but i question the amount he was given,when our troops who are injured in an illegal war, are maimed for life, receive a pittance by comparison,and then there,s the case of the chicken farmer who got £42,000 because his chickens got frightened by jets that flew over their coop,and also the guy who,s horses bolted when startled by a Red Arrows flying over their fields,he got in excess of £100,000,yet a soldier who lost two limbs gets less than £10,000,..these are the Grey Area,s that should be looked at,...Sorry for going off track a little,

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 09:11:41 am »

Sorry for going off track a little,

Yes, done to death I think! You won't put the world to rights on a Model Boat Forum. Have you considered standing as an MP - there's an election coming up I believe. But then of course there are those who say there are too many Scots lording it over the poor downtrodden English in Westminster already - and look what they've done to the Country!  :}

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 10:47:22 am »

Yes ,it make a change does,nt it,..your lucky ,you,ve only been under the mantle of a  Scot for for a couple of years,unlike us Scots who were downtrodden by you English,for centuries,..ok we had a little respite after Bannockburn,when Bruce showed Edward how it was done,but after the Union of the Crowns,we were treated like second class citizens,whilst the English lorded it over us,
I doubt if you were bleating when Maggie hit us with the council tax a whole year before  you got it,...but oh how the English Bleated when it did hit them, {-)

Oops how easy t is to be drawn off topic,
 {-)

Wullie

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 01:45:16 pm »

You might find that the occassional post about model boat related subjects would be easier to keep on track.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 02:23:13 pm »

Yes, done to death I think! You won't put the world to rights on a Model Boat Forum. Have you considered standing as an MP - there's an election coming up I believe. But then of course there are those who say there are too many Scots lording it over the poor downtrodden English in Westminster already - and look what they've done to the Country!  :}

Colin
Wullie as an MP, I dont think so. No one else would get a word in edgeways.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Wasyl

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 02:34:40 pm »

You might find that the occassional post about model boat related subjects would be easier to keep on track.
...where am I...oh i,m in CHit-Chat...almost anything goes,as i recall, {:-{ %% {-)

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 02:42:28 pm »

Wullie as an MP, I dont think so. No one else would get a word in edgeways.
I,ll have you know, that i,m quite an attentive listener when when it suits me,.as for being Mr talkalot, i,ve only got 11hours 20mins under my belt,..not a lot compared to some, {-)

Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »

I think it's good that we have this section for chit chat, I think too, wandering off topic is ok ,(I'm guilty as hell) as it does expand  the conversations. Provided the  nation bashing banter is kept light and no-one gets too heavy we can all have a good giggle and there have been some posts on here which have had me rocking with laughter at times. 

Wasyl

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 05:47:27 pm »

Well said,..I totally agree, :-)) :-))

Wullie,

omra85

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »

I have to agree, I only race "model" offshore boats, have never been in the Navy, (Royal or Merchant), don't have time or inclination to build a scale boat, know very little about modelling with wood, ABS, polystyrene or paper!
Lets face it, if it wasn't for "Chit, chat", I'd have nothing to talk about ...  %) %)

Cheers
Danny  %% {-)

PS Sorry if this is off topic and there's no 'ice' content in this post - but there is a vague reference to "thick head"  {-) {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 08:16:24 pm »

<*< <*<

omra85

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 08:20:59 pm »

... but there is a vague reference to "thick head"  {-) {-)

I was taking about me not YOU, Dicky  {-) {-) {-)

but if the cap fits .. :P :P :P

Cheers
Danny

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »

It was you getting militant I was on about Danny

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.