Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What was your first mota?  (Read 12867 times)

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
Re: What was your first mota?
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 06:49:31 pm »

mine waas a red 750 Special. One of Colin Chapmans first. It used a 1930s Austin 750cc engine, modified with a lightened flywheel, double valve springs and a cambridge alloy head.
The exhaust was straight through, with chicken wire inside to prevent the cops poking a stick up it and saying I hadn't got a proper silencer.
Over 80, the headlamps had a tendancy to fall off!! and if you put the clutch in too quickly the halfshafts snapped!!!   Great fun!!
This was back in 1956

Ken

Big Ada

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 08:15:06 pm »

A Green Ford popular for £110,6volt electrics, you could see squat in the dark with the headlights on full beam!.

Len.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »

And you could see bu**er all in the rain with your foot on the throttle Martin!!
A mate of mine had one, the steering column was so stiff we used to put it on full lock, tweak the idle screw up , get out and sit in the park whilst the car drove itself  in circles around us..... great fun.... then we grew up <:(

Wasyl

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 09:08:24 pm »

My first,real car was a Ford Anglia,which i bought for £10 way back in 69,then i got a Morris Minor 1000 for £28,but before these two,I went halfies with a mate and we bought a Messerschmitt 3 wheeler that had a Sachs 350 cc engine,it cost an arm and a leg, in 66,...£30,i wish i had it now,..then over the next 30 odd years i hade various cars 8 of which were Ovlovs, {-)and in between i had my motorcycles,my favourite being my GSX1100s Katana,whic i had bored out to 1170 using a Cosworth big bore kit,with..a billet clutch from Straightline Racing in the Wirral,..it produced a 128 bhp at 8000revs and was good for 145mph,..it was great in a straight line,but it was a pain in the corners,which was down to   its high centre of gravity,19in x,4.00,front wheel 18 x 4.10 back,,but thats the way they were in the early 80,s,

Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »

Although not a 'first car' as the thread goes, my second car was a 6 cyl 59 PA Cresta. I loved the thing, it was the model with the three back windows, twin clocks on the dash and the big oval rear lights. Lovely shade of bluey grey with a cream roof, stainless steel hubcaps and trim and a set of whitewalls to finish it off. It was beautifully trimmed with pleated red leather seats and red carpets. I loved the American styling. I couldn't afford to buy one now, they are like gold dust if in one piece and anything standing on its wheels is usually a restored car as they could rust quicker than a bean can in a vat of acid.

dbninja

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »

ok
disregarding the plethora of old BSA Bantams, C15s, Francis Barnetts,tiger cubs and anything with two wheels i could lay my hands on pre driving license

my first "legal"  road vehicle was STD 871 G   my red Puch Maxi moped {-) yes truely the laughing stock of all my fizzie and ss50 riding mates!!!  i was the age to cop for the daft moped and 250cc bike laws at 16 and 17yr old..   the ridicule did not last forever and i was soon the proud owner of my first "brand new"  machine..  KEK 769 P a loverly green Honda CB250 G5

my first road legal car..

1016 TJ the t-Rusty Ford Anglia 1200 Super Deluxe in a very fetching Maroon and grey (and Rust)  bought for a whole £15 :}   and yes!  the gaffar tape still held the n/s headlight in place in the rain!    when my feet went through the floor  it was quickly replaced   with  DUX 865 C   my dark blue  Singer Chamois!......    thats a Hillman Imp with extra chrome bits to help it rust..... :}

oh yes...  i remember registration numbers (but cant remember the kids birthdays)

db

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:07 pm »

Oh I wish I had some of the cars that have mentioned now. We have got rid of fortunes between us. Sad isn't it?
Good old classics that make really good money now.
Alan

dbninja

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2010, 10:49:42 pm »

Oh I wish I had some of the cars that have mentioned now. We have got rid of fortunes between us. Sad isn't it?
Good old classics that make really good money now.
Alan

especially the guy that had the JAP engined Morgan 3 wheeler........ bought for buttons!      they are worth a fortune!

db

Wasyl

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »

And that Karmen Ghia,and the plethora of C11G,s Puch,s old Trumpets,etc etc,
and more recently the scrappage scheme has seen an end to countless rare old classics,..a garage in Dundee got a Jensen Interceptor traded in on the scrappage,and a Jowet,..and there was one guy who tried to trade in a pre Audi car,an Auto Union from 1937 and the only reason he could,nt was because it did,nt have an MOT,

Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2010, 11:10:05 pm »

What a heart breaking story Wullie... bloody car scrappage scheme!! Those who 'trade in' classics should be shot at dawn.
I don't see many of todays cars being kept on the road like these old machines, the electronics will become defunkt and in the future there will be a collectors market for working electronics to fit them, they will become like gold dust.

Wasyl

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:01 pm »

You,re right there,about today,s cars,..an old car can be brought back to life,but the one,s of today are all run by PC like components,i.e.ECU,s memory chips for fuel, spark,advance retard,everything is governed through the ECU,when that goes bang,..its usually dealer only,..then arms and legs,
as to these old classics being traded in on the scrappage scheme,i bet it would make our eyes water if we knew,the makes and  how many were traded in,..and more importanly,how many never saw the scrap yard, {:-{

Wullie

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:38 pm »

You probably wouldn't believe me if I listed some of the cars I've had. But it's the ones I declined to buy that cause real pain.  A Jaguar D Type for £895 (in1962)? A GT40 for £2750 (in 1970)? But they were just obsolete racers at the time, and you had to be even dafter than me to buy them, especially as the cops were starting to get funny about the lack of silencers, handbrakes, and other useless weight penalties.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Wasyl

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010, 11:54:51 pm »

I can believe it,because in the early 70,s up until around 77/78 it was still possible to get your hands on,cars that are now termed as classdics, or that little bit unique, or sporty,
In 1974 I bought an MGC Roadster,that had a straight six engine with twin Strombergs,and wire wheels,for £300,then i picked up a TR4 for £240,and in 76 i bought a VW Micro Bus ,the 13 window model,i paid £175 for it,but it was rotten with rust and needed £300 spent on it to get it through an MOT,so i got rid of it,..One sold on ebay last year for over £14,000,....then in 1977 i treated myself to a Brand new Triumph Bonneville T140 750cc for the humongous price of £799,by 79 the price had jumped to over £1300,
hindsight is a great thing,..if only,

Wullie

BrianCartwright

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38:15 am »

Thanks dbninja,the old grey matter ain't what it used to be.I lost the plot when you got to Schnuerle ported rotory disc induction,all greek to me.

Sheerline,you forgot the best one of all.A JAMES CAPTAIN.197cc.two stroke which I bought on my 18th.birthday brand new for £197 and covered some mileage until I turned 20 and bought a FORD POPULAR,my first car.

Wasyl

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2010, 09:47:56 am »

A,... The James Captain, with the Villiers engine if my memory serves me well,...this engine was also used in the early 3 wheeled Bond,...pre Bond Bug days,..the engine was mounted over the front wheel,and to start it you had to lift the long bonnet,stick your foot in,and kickstart it,..and a unique factor of this car was that it could about turn in its own length,as the front wheel could be turned to almost 90deg to the body,making a U turn quite scary,

Wullie

omra85

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47:25 am »

The good old Villiers 2T (and 4T)was used in loads of bikes at that time.
My mate had a Greeves with one and I used to race him round the streets of Grimsby on my Ariel Leader (that was a bike ahead of its time)

My two "hindsights" were
I saw an Ariel square four in the paper for £18 (1966?) and went to see it. It was immaculate. I offered £12 which was all I had, he said £15 but I walked away  <:(
Later in 1975 I had a Daimler 250V8 (same shape as the Mk2 Jag). Had a pub in a city with no parking, so I put it through the auction - £66  <:(

Hey Wullie, was your Messerschmitt the one where you started the engine backwards for reverse  O0 O0  My cousin had one - 60mph possible in reverse!  I had a go and frightened the life out of myself at 20mph backwards %) {-) {-)

Danny

Patrick Henry

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2010, 12:04:17 pm »

Just think of all the classic cars that ended up as stock cars..MG Magnettes, Wolsey 15/50s, 16/60s, 6/90s, Rileys...the big Rovers and Jag Mk 10s, Mk1 Granadas..

Frightening thought.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:25 pm »

First car I really lusted over, but couldn't buy, was a Ford Granada MKI Coupe. Orange with a tan Vinyl roof.
A big beast for a two door.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2010, 12:42:01 pm »

I once saw one of those, TT, that had had  all the front panels of a MkII Granada grafted on. In Silloth of all places. Looked really good.

Speaking of MGCs, Wullie, I had one, believe it or not, a convertible with auto. The factory, apparently, doesn't admit to making any, but it certainly wasn't a lash-up.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2010, 01:07:19 pm »

Wullie, that Bond minicar you mentioned, my mate bought one and the previous owner had been all round Britain in the thing with his family. My mate bought it from him, it was a strange machine and we rode it around for a bit.  In the depths of a bitter snow filled winters night, just outside Lesmahago on the A74, we struck a frozen packed snow drift at the side of the road. The stupid back wheels which stuck out each side caught a jagged chunck of frozen snow which caused the vehicle to be spun sideways into the path of oncoming vehicles. A pothole in the road caught the offside wheel and catapulted the car into a roll . It was the convertible model and came down on its roof.
The last thing I remember was seeing my mate holding onto the wheel with the road going sideways past his face.. then silence! I came round sitting in the middle of the road, my mate was still in the drivers seat, the car having righted itself and swearing profusely that his glasses were missing. Glass and debris everywhere, we cleared the road, threw it all back into the car, bump started it and drove it back home through Motherwell with no top or windscreen, the steering wheel resembled that of an airfraft control wheel as it had a massive depression in it since it had protruded  above the bonnet line and had contacted the road. When we got home, we had ice around the collar of our coats, it must have been -10 deg that night.
We had completely escaped injury, my mate only complaining  that he had a scratch on his finger.

I tell you, some of the things we did as youngsters.... it's a wonder I'm here to write this

The car was subsequently sold to a mad motorcyclist round the corner, he was always in plaster as he kept falling of his bikes. He rebuilt the car and used it for a short time then it disappeared. He appeared again one day, covered in plaster and when we asked him
where the car was, he said he had innadvertantly driven it over a cliff in a quarry!!!

R.I.P. Bond minicar

Wasyl

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:57 pm »

A...Granada,s i lusted over a 2.0 twin cam,...when petrol was a damn sight cheaper,then one day whilst passing a local garage,in 2000, i spotted one on the Bargain basement lot,..It was a,1987 Ghia,Auto, model,5 door hatch,top of the range,electric everything,leather interior,electric seats front and rear, trip comp,wood dash and door checks,alloys,it was 13 years old and minted with only 38,000 miles guaranteed,the price on the window was £999,Whilst i was drooling the salesman came over,asked if i was interested,I,d actually made my mind up before he appeared, and after a brief discussion,about it,he told me it had only one owner from new,and that it ran like a swiss watch,i asked how long the MOT had to run, and he said it only had 2 months left,..and 1 months tax,on hearing this i hesitated,a bit,..He said if I took it as is, he,d give it to me for £600,On hearing this,I said I,d take it,..now you might think this odd,but up to This point i had,nt heard it running,..I was so over awed by the luxurious interior,and its over all condition,..suffice to say i went ahead and bought it,paid for it there and then,I was given the documents and a folder full of receipts for  work done over the years,
He gave me the keys and i got in and started her for the first time,She started off the key without hesitation,..and did indeed run like a Swiss watch,I was over the moon,and drove out of the lot,I drove approx 10 miles,then heard a Beep,Beep continuous sound, and stopped immediately wondering what was wrong,a red light was flashing on the dash,my initial reaction was Panic,..until i saw that it was the on board computer telling me i needed fuel and that i had enough left for approx 10 miles,Phew,panic over,I drove to the nearest petrol station,and put 5 gal in,whilst there i thought i,d better check the oil and water levels,On opening the bonnet, and looking at the engine,..I nearly had a heart attack,..this was not a 2.0,twin cam,..it was a monster V6 2.9,..that would,nt pass a petrol Station,in town without going beep,beep,..my initial shock turned to a grin,as i realised what a powerful motor i had,and,although it drank petrol whilst driving around town,it was surprisingly quite good on the motorway,where 350 miles was achievable on a full tank,...£55,..but in town it would,nt do more than 200 miles,A month later I took it to my local MOT station,for an MOT,whilst i was waiting for it to be done,I heard the mechanic say to his mate,"here come and have a look at this"his mate went over and they were looking at something underneath,my curiosity got the better of me and i went over,and asked if there was anything wrong,The mechanic said,No,far from it,..its like a new car under here,and he pointed out the newish stainless exhaust,the new brake pipes,new discs etc,etc,..It passed the MOT test,and off i went,as happy as the proverbial pig in....when i got home i looked at the name on the logbook and was able to get the persons number from directory enquires,I phone the previous owner,explained that i,had bought their car,and asked him about it,.It turned out that the car had only ever been used at weekends, and sat in their centrally heated garage,whenever it was,nt in use,and that no expense had been spared over the 13 years that they had it,I asked about the mileage and was told that it had 37,800m on it when they traded it in,I thanked the guy,and sat back grinning like a cheshire cat,..I kept the car for nearly 3 years,until petrol prices started to rise, then i got rid of it,..i swapped it for a 1.7 Volvo 480 es,
big mistake,.....but thats another story,

Wasyl

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2010, 01:32:45 pm »

I once saw one of those, TT, that had had  all the front panels of a MkII Granada grafted on. In Silloth of all places. Looked really good.

Speaking of MGCs, Wullie, I had one, believe it or not, a convertible with auto. The factory, apparently, doesn't admit to making any, but it certainly wasn't a lash-up.
Mines was,nt a lash up either,and it too was a convertable,they were initially meant for the European market,i.e.Left hooker,so its quite possible that they were left hookers that had been converted back,mine was bright orange and thethere was a bulge in the bonnet just above the Strombergs,

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:41 pm »

The good old Villiers 2T (and 4T)was used in loads of bikes at that time.
My mate had a Greeves with one and I used to race him round the streets of Grimsby on my Ariel Leader (that was a bike ahead of its time)

My two "hindsights" were
I saw an Ariel square four in the paper for £18 (1966?) and went to see it. It was immaculate. I offered £12 which was all I had, he said £15 but I walked away  <:(
Later in 1975 I had a Daimler 250V8 (same shape as the Mk2 Jag). Had a pub in a city with no parking, so I put it through the auction - £66  <:(

Hey Wullie, was your Messerschmitt the one where you started the engine backwards for reverse  O0 O0  My cousin had one - 60mph possible in reverse!  I had a go and frightened the life out of myself at 20mph backwards %) {-) {-)

Danny
The Me,that we had,did,nt have the reverse gear,it had been removed,so that it could be driven on a motorcycle licence,it had handlebarsl like what an old bicycle had,and the gear shift was on the side,,and it was very stable with having the two wheels at the front,and it was light enough to lift up if we ever got stuck in the middle,of two cars

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 01:54:55 pm »

Talking about old Motorcycles,..4 years ago i went to the Ukraine to visit my Aunt and Uncle,to cut a long story short,....in their shed they had an old motorcycle and sidecar,my initial thought was,it must be a Ural or a Dneipr,or possibly a Cossack, how wrong i was,It turned out to be an old German army Zundapp 350cc,still with its original WH number plate,and a faded Balkan Kreuze on the sidecar,...and the mount where an MG 42 would have been,... <:( <:(

Wullie

The Antipodean

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2010, 02:51:38 pm »

Speaking of wasting a good thing, a few years back, around 20 I guess, I got into Demolition Derby at the local speedway North of Wellington.
First car I picked up was a 1959 Humber 80, in pretty good condition for $20, actually drove it home and then tore it apart to make it safe for the race. It lasted 2 laps due to popping a throttle linkage apart. Found out recently that these things are worth gold downunder.

Next to get the demolition touch from me was a 1963 Vauxhall Victor FB, bought for $40 and I drove that one home too. That one was much tougher mechanically and lasted quite a few laps, until the umpires decided the big heavy car was not allowed to win and crushed me into the wall. New Zealand stockcars, being 900hp, 2 1/2 tonne bumper cars, don't take much in the way of an excuse when they are pulverising great classic steel.

I have pictures of the Victor as a wreck being offloaded at the landfill somewhere.

I have seen millions of dollars in classics destroyed at Demo Derbies, from mint condition Hillman Imps through to a couple of classic Rollers and Mercs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.