Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making White Primer Darker  (Read 1790 times)

Aidi

Making White Primer Darker
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:49:39 pm »

Howdie,

Apologies for yet another post on painting....    I have got some white primer, however i have now decided that i am going to paint my hull white.   

Before i go out and get some non white primer, is it possible to add a small amount of Humbrol enamel black satin paint in order to give it grey colour?

Rgds
Aidi

The Antipodean

Re: Making White Primer Darker
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:19:08 pm »

If you look around most paint stores they normally have a white primer of some type. I know the auto primer in spray cans comes in white,red oxide and grey, at it does here in Tennessee.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:15:42 pm »

If your painting the hull white use white primer.

Aidi

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

The reason i asked, was having read a previous thread, it suggested not to use a primer the same colour as you were painting... Reason being its easy to miss bits.     I guess just being careful and paying attention will get around that issue!

Rgds
Aidi

ken_nj

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:57:05 am »

On my current project I sprayed the entire boat with gray primer. The bulwark is going to be white. Well, the white satin I was spraying on the bulwark was not covering the gray primer properly. I sanded off the paint down to the fiberglass, sprayed with white primer, sprayed the white satin and all was fine. From now on with the paint these days light color spray paint gets white primer and dark colors get gray primer.

As a test I sprayed scrap materials, one with white primer and one with gray primer. Then I sprayed Navy Blue over each. The Navy Blue looked nice and dark and even on the gray primer. The blue on the white primer was light in color and it did not cover the white very well.

My 2 cents on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.