Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Off' button?  (Read 11199 times)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
'Off' button?
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:24:45 pm »

I'm curious to know what makes you dive for the 'off' button on the radio. We all have programmes and presenters we can't stand and for myself, as a radio 2 listener ( on all day in the workshop) I can name three occurrancies when I will  simply switch off rather than listen to the guff emanating from the speaker.
1... Johnathan Ross
2... Rap 'music'
3... This makes me fizz just thinking about it.... Elaine Page!!!!
Where the hell did they dig her up from, I have never heard a worse radio presenter, that horrible snorty laugh and disjointed speile she vomits out, I'll be glad when her contract expires. <*< She totally destroys sunday afternoon radio for me, I can't get to the radio quick enough.
I would happily shove wasps up my rear end than endure listening to that woman.  <:(
Guess you've worked out I'm not that keen on her.

craftysod

Re: 'Off' button?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »

I changed from the local crap,and listen to gold in the morning,then change to steve wright in the afternoon,
Cant stand radio 1 ,wogan,ross,rapp crap track music

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:52:39 pm »

The Vine show -drivel  and  Horoscopes on Steve Wright - what a load of unprintables along with the idiots who apparently make life changing decisions on the words of a person who has their birth date and nothing else

Last but not least Jonathon Ross

Thank god for Radio 7 and the listen again feature  Goons, Kenneth Horne, News quiz, Just a minute, Sorry I haven't a clue etc etc.
Don't Assume Check

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:54:11 pm »

Ah, a fellow traveller!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:55:39 pm »

Steve Wright,, hmmm very borderline case, dumbed down radio but rather like the 'ask Elvis' feature as it's quite amusing

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »

I love Radio 2 and have it on in the garage all day however I have to turn it off at 12.00 when that complete idiot Jeremy Vine is on.  I particularly detest the way he deliberately tries to get two parties at each others throats and his over dramatic and patronising manner really winds me up.  

I usually run into the garage to stick a CD on but occassionally, if I'm busy, I think, "Oh Well, it may be OK today".  I rarely get beyond 12.15 before I have to turn him off!!  

I can even put up with Chris Evans and that takes something but not Jeremy Vine.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:35 pm »

Got to agree with you there BB....' Vine the slimy swine'. Chris Evans has come on a fair bit since the early days. He admitted he had been a plonker a few years back and I actually thought his drive home show in the evening was quite well put together but not at all sure he belongs in Wogans spot in the morning... doesn't feel quite right.

Dreadstar

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »

I would much rather the breakfast spot had gone to Johnny Walker,than that carrot topped idiot. <*< <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-(

timsenecal

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 04:20:00 am »

It has been years since i listened to the radio.  too many commercials.  I have my songs loaded on my iPod.  I have iPod connectors everywhere, tv, stereo, workshop, both cars...

andygh

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 07:54:00 am »

Thank god for Radio 7 and the listen again feature  Goons, Kenneth Horne, News quiz, Just a minute, Sorry I haven't a clue etc etc.

Spot on, great stuff and I love the drama and sci-fi too. Shame about the cbeebies spot in the morning though

Radio 2 is generally cobblers these days, I now listen to Absolute80's if I want music radio, but my MP3 collection is vast and I rarely do

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:36:52 am »

Fortunately there is still plenty of Radio and TV in the UK which is free of commercial advertising thanks to the BBC. How long that will last if the Tories win the General Election is the problem.

However, I do find the BBC's too frequent and repetitive advertising of its forthcoming programmes more and more annoying. I also find some of the introductions to programmes over long and unnecessary, for example the silly "beaming in from reporters around the world" followed by the spinning globe prior to BBC TV news squanders time. (It seems as if the "breathless Weather Commentators" have to make up for it!).

Having been critical of the BBC I have to say that when I watch French TV I realise just how good the BBC is!

Roger in France.

PMK

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:49:31 am »

Sheerline, you need to watch your heart rate - especially now you're an oldie. Might I suggest you have a word with Tug Kenny. Buy/beg/scrounge/steal a copy of his Imara build on CD -- not just for viewing his build but also for listening. Check out the sound tracks, play 'em while you work. Pretty much guaranteed to have you feeling more melllow within the first few bars.
A little birdie tells me that you've been getting up to all sorts of capers of late... Chasing dogs/bikes/cars, making barking noises, driving your missus scatty, constantly swearing at the radio/TV/cat/dog/vicar......
Mate, don't let 'them get to you. It's a male menopausal thing, can't be helped. If Kenny's CD doesn't get you all nice and mellow, I know of a nifty-smelling leaf that will ('ave a tote on this, yer 'onour, puff-cough). By all accounts, also good for arthritics and politicians alike.

Hang in there, dude.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:52:34 am »

I'll go along 100% with Sheerline ref the radio. TV? Well......
That irritating little popcorn tune played at the ad intervals in CSI ("sponsored by Kia Soul - a new shape");
Weather-people who pronounce 'mild' as 'marled';
Alan Carr;
Jimmy Carr;
Andee McDowell (well past her sell-by date and doesn't know she's actually not  worth it...);
Anyone who says 'nucular', 'working in partnership with', 'deliver' or who drops consonants in the middle of words to sound cool e.g. "commooner-ee" and "fir-een";
Any and every program with 'celebrity' in its title or in its list of participants;

.............stone me - I haven't even started!!!

FLJ

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:45 am »

Now, now FLJ.....you'll split your stitches, calm down a little!

Your comment about pronunciation caused me to reflect on the change in broadcasting in my life time. When I first started with radio, later with TV and to some extent cinema documentaries "Received English" was an absolute must, with the result that we yokels were made to feel inferior. We were being preached at and patronised.

Today it seems as if regional accents are fervently sought after. In fact I think it has gone so far that some who appear in the broadcasts cause me problems in understanding, sometimes (and no it is not my age!).

I strongly endorse FLJ's comments about "....celebrity....". Most of them I have never heard of and if I get a brief sample of them I am glad that I don't know them. As far as I am concerned, a celebrity is an epithet that only I can apply. As soon as I am told "This is a celebrity" I can only think of "empty vessel".

Roger in France

PMK

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:15:46 am »

... as in: "He's the only living bloke on the planet walking around with a nucular reactor up 'is bum."

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:33:15 am »

Steve Wright is far to Southern bias for my liking,..
"It's dark here now" 
err no Steve, I'm driving with he sun visor down to keep it out mi eyes....

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 10:51:19 am »

Gave up on Radio a while back now.  ;D

Overpaid / overated so called celebrity presenters,, now just listen to CD's......

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 12:16:47 pm »

A lot of stations have the occasional gem, some start very well, but its seems that the trend is to dumb down as quickly as possible taking the shortest possible path between the head of gold to the feet of clay.
My listening is usually confined to Smooth Radio when driving, or Classic if out of range, the one for the traffic reports, the other for Mr Kelly's excruciating pronunciation of classic composer's names.  (It's quite some time since I drove out of Smooth's reception area).  At home, Radio 7 when I remember and I get a chance to wander down memory lane.
When I had finished being a callow youth and started being a callow adult, I really didn't like that upstart Wogan.  Then one day, the televise Miss UK was held in Blackpool, Wogan hosting.  This meant his early morning show was done as an outside broadcast, from the hotel he was staying at.  The guy who usually did outside broadcasts was off sick at the time, and so, as I was doing the rest of his job, I got the lineman liaison job, which meant making sure there was a REALLY good landline, and being there should it stop being a REALLY good landline.  I was sat in the "studio" for the show to be in a good position to run away should the unthinkable happen.  What amazed me was the almost total lack of a script.  Yes there was a list of the tracks to play.  He did have some letters from his listener.  The rest was made up as he went along, with, surprisingly, immaculate timing to interleave with the starts and finishes of the news intervals.  He is going to be a heck of an act to follow.  It could be something to do with the general culture at the time of upbringing.  See the thread in humour about surviving pre '70's. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »

Fortunately there is still plenty of Radio and TV in the UK which is free of commercial advertising thanks to the BBC. How long that will last if the Tories win the General Election is the problem.

Yes, I suspect their policy of incessantly hammering the Tories is not going to win them any friends come the next administration....

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »

'Comedy' on Radio 4.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 01:28:02 pm »

PMK, As I have now turned 61 and a fully paid up grumpy, it is expected of me. I am locked in here from 8:30 till midnight when I'm really busy and I have to say, there are times when I can't find anything on the radio I like. I know you're all going to deride me for the following:

If I need to get going and get my finger out in here, just once in a while I'll stick my cd of 'Duetshe Marschband Musiik' in the machine.
Ah, those Germans, thay did play some stirring stuff even if it was 'Kamerad auf der See' , 'Gegen England' or 'In der Afrika Korps'
Yeh yeh, I can hear you all now, my mate takes the pee out of me too so I'm used to it!!

I actually hated Wogan years ago but grew to like him immensly, I was given his cd of 'Janet and John' for Christmas, it's a real hoot and just listening to those silly beggars laughing their heads off get me laughing too. His morning show will be missed.

FLJ, I know you're holding back there mate but just let it all out and do the breathing excercises as I'm sure it will benefit you. :-))

I can't stand local radio and the adverts drive me bonkers. I once witnessed an oily throw a hammer at a workshop radio on the other side of the workshop because the ads were driving him mad and he couldn't leave the job he was on to switch it off.... it worked.. direct hit!

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »

Yes, I suspect their policy of incessantly hammering the Tories

You must be joking...it's more like a Cameroon love - in

PMK

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 07:56:59 pm »

As I have now turned 61 and a fully paid up grumpy........

61? In that case, you're still a sprog yet.
So if Kenny's CD won't help, and if my herbdicinals won't help, then how about this little cutie?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDOniX8B3M

On the subject of trash on the radio... Have you heard some of the late-night nonsense on 80metres recently?
And if that doesn't make you cringe, I'll bring my geetar round.

FLJ?
It's them nucular seeds they implanted up his bum. Instead of ACTion Man, they're turning him into RadioACTive Man.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »

You must be joking...it's more like a Cameroon love - in

bit late for that now.... :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »

Sarah Bloody Green - What a waste of oxygen that woman is, ditto Johnny Walker, Jeremy Wine & all of the Radio 1 Djs.

Gold for me or Talksport, except when the Cricket's on then it's got to be R4.

A good station if you can get it is Absoloute.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.