Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic's 98th Anniversary  (Read 2691 times)

Hilux5972

Titanic's 98th Anniversary
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:26:20 am »

Tomorrow, April 14th, will mark 98 years since the Titanic had her fatal collision with the iceberg and sank with the loss of 1'523 lives. I dont know about you guys, but i will be awake at 2.20am with a glass of champagne to celebrate the 705 lives that were saved, and also to remember the 1523 that were lost. RIP Titanic. You will be forever in our minds & in our Hearts. Bon Voyage

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Titanic's 98th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:43:21 am »

2 years ago today, 14th April 2008, my wife and I were on board QE2 as she sailed over the exact spot where Titanic lies. A short commemoration was performed by the captain, and a wreath thrown overboard. We were on the homeward leg from New York to Southampton, having joined the ship in Sydney on the return half of its final world cruise. I took the photo below at the time it was announced we were over Titanic.

Peter.

BoatyBoy

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:21:39 am »

Tomorrow, April 14th, will mark 98 years since the Titanic had her fatal collision with the iceberg and sank with the loss of 1'523 lives. I dont know about you guys, but i will be awake at 2.20am with a glass of champagne to celebrate the 705 lives that were saved, and also to remember the 1523 that were lost. RIP Titanic. You will be forever in our minds & in our Hearts. Bon Voyage

May I ask why?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:44:00 am »

Yes...

BoatyBoy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:07:46 am »

Cheers.

Why?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:35:19 am »

Cheers.

Why?

For the same reason that I will be in the pub from 19:00-21:00 on the 25 November remembering the White Ship Disaster of 1120. Doesn't everybody align their drinking sessions to coincide with famous maritime catastrophes associated with the word 'White' ?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:35:47 am »

In my personal opinion, the story of Titanic has held people's imagination ever since it happened because there are so many unanswered questions as to why it happened, there are so many people involved in the tragedy, and so many lives were lost or ruined completely, plus of course it was at the time the greatest maritime disaster to have ever happened.

Plus, of course, the ship was deemed to be unsinkable and was lost on her maiden voyage.

I've been fascinated by the whole story ever since I read a book about it when I was still at school, I've collected several Titanic related items over the years, and built two models of the ship...one a static display and one radio controlled.

The whole Titanic saga still interests me immensely after...what, nearly fifty years now, and probably will do for the remainder of my days.

Rich

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:38 pm »

In my personal opinion, the story of Titanic has held people's imagination ever since it happened because there are so many unanswered questions as to why it happened, there are so many people involved in the tragedy, and so many lives were lost or ruined completely, plus of course it was at the time the greatest maritime disaster to have ever happened.

The Titanic must be one of the most studied sinkings ever - I didn't think there were that many unanswered questions about it, even at the level of the precise composition of the rivets and the behaviour of the hull as it finally sunk. Are there really any major investigations still to take place? I think that there is much more mystery about the sinking of the Hood...

And the Sultana was a disaster of at least comparable (and most probably larger) size back in 1865...

DARLEK1

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:08:37 pm »

Has anyone read the book "Titanic the ship that didn't sink" ? It's very good for the conspiracy theorists and could have been quite possible, I will try and find my copy and stick up the ISBN number for you over the weekend.
 Paul...

tony52

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »

Paul,
Read the book, not sure what to think.
Never the less a sad loss of life.

Not sure as to whether items should be brought to the surface. Does anyone have any thoughts on this sticky subject?

Tony.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:18:59 pm »

Yes, read that but I don't find it convincing. I think it was debunked a while back anyway. There were significant physical differences between Titanic and Olympic, not least the arrangements of the promenade deck windows. It seems very unlikely that major structural alterations could have been carried out in total secrecy given the conditions prevailing at the time, not to mention the very tight timescale necessary to make them.

But people believe what they want to believe, 'twas ever thus! And people with books to sell will say anything....

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.