Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GULF OF ADEN  (Read 2230 times)

Roger in France

GULF OF ADEN
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:55:37 am »

Fascinating broadcast Tuesday a.m. about the British ship's Captain who repulsed pirates attempting to board his ship in the Gulf.

He had prepared huge bulks of timber to drop overboard which would have holed the small boarding vessels had they not veered off. The guy came across as both courageous and modest. He also spoke highly of his all Russian crew. The latter were in contact with a Russian Naval ship nearby which later captured the pirates and sank the attack boats and the pirate mother ship (no niceties there about courts and laws of the sea then!).

I just wondered if we have any seafarers with tales to tell about transitting the Gulf?

Roger in France

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: GULF OF ADEN
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:33:00 pm »

Not the Gulf, but off Lagos in the late 70's.

I was on a tanker anchored awaiting a discharge berth, we had been there a few weeks. The next ship to us was I think a Scandinavian flag cargo ship.

In the early hours of one morning, she upped anchor and sailed off, to return only an hour or so later, which was a little odd, as when you needed to make water you sailed out for a day or so.

The 3O got on the radio to ask if everything was ok and got the answer:

We were boarded by pirates, now we have no pirates!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:38:19 am »

I read in the paper yesterday, that an Electronics Comp,have developed a laser system that can be supplied to ships sailing in this area,and that these lasers can be shone into the eyes of Somali pirates,and they will suffer horrendous headaches and disorientation,which weill force them to abandon the hijack,....cost,£25,000 each, {:-{

Wullie

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:46 am »

it's available on listen again, it was very interesting I don't think I would have had the captains restaint in not drooping them on the boats, a few bob is to be made with a gadget to defeat the ladders.

Peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:14:40 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.