Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sanding Between Coats of Satin  (Read 2774 times)

Aidi

Sanding Between Coats of Satin
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »

I am running the risk of becoming annoying with all my posts if i am not careful!  But, i so want to get this build as good as i possibly can so please bear with me...

I have applied the first coat of Humbrol Enamel Satin to my hull, and now wondering if i am required to sand this coat down before applying the next coat?

From what i have read, and mostly with regards to spraying others are using 800 to 1200 grit paper to sand or using steel wool.   

My situation does not allow me to spray, so i am painting by hand.   The post by Stavros and slewis have proved helpful, but again are geared towards spraying and not hand painting.   I really am unsure if the same applys for hand painting

Sorry for the string of questions i have been asking, but hopefully the answers will not only help me, but other beginners in the future.

Best Rgds
Aidi

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sanding Between Coats of Satin
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »

Try wet/dry sandpaper - 400 grit isn't bad - that will take any brush marks off and give you a dull finish for the next coat.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:38:42 pm »

Aidi

What do you want to achieve for finish? This is not a dumb question.

For my model I will be painting with a scale 6" brush to create a brushed effect. But my model is 1:10 scale wooden working boat.This will leave brush marks. But they will be in keeping with the original prototype boat. This may be relevant for your build also, but it may not.

If however you are building at a larger scale, especially on a steel hull (prototype) that may have been spray painted, a smooth finsih is needed.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Aidi

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:07 pm »

The model is the Billing Mary Ann Trawler.

As you eluded to, i am not after a "perfect" finish, as this would not be in keeping with what the full size boat would be like.   

Being that i am hand painting, i would expect there to be brush marks.  The first coat i have applied looks great if i am honest.  its a nice texture which as above is in keeping with what a real one would look like.     

With just one coat on its looks ok, but I am thinking a gentle rub down and a second coat will achieve the finish i am looking for and in keeping with authenticity.   

I know i have pretty much answered my own question here...   What i didnt want to do is sand it down to apply another coat if i could just apply another coat directly on top.

So do I:

Paint directly on top of the first coat?
Sand down and apply another coat?
Do i sand wet or dry?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »

If the existing coat looks good but you still want to put another one on I would sand very lightly wet. You dont want to go through the first coat into the colour, just remove any minor surface imperfections.

Colin

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:08:12 pm »

If you are going to sand it down, I would suggest wet with 1200 wet/dry - and a drop of fairy liquid in the water.

Now, you will appreciate this will give a smooth finish, and I think you need this before the second coat, because as well as flatting down, sanding provides a key for the next coat, ensuring proper adhesion.

You could then go over with your brush and get the finish you require.

After sanding, wash well with warm soapy water and allow to air dry, and avoid touching the area you wish to paint.

Ian

if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Aidi

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »

As always excellent words of advice.    :-)

Many thanks for time taken to reply, i hope that as my skills increase i will be in a position to offer advice to others..   

Best Rgds
Aidi

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:04 pm »

I should have added:

After washing with warm soapy water, rinse with fresh warm water then allow to air dry.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.