Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identification help sought  (Read 2141 times)

prgill

Identification help sought
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:39:19 pm »

Hi,
I rescued this hull from a junkyard yesterday, which I think is that of a tugboat.

It is black GRP, with rivetting detail on the outside, five flood water gunnels either side at deck level, plus a hawser hole bow and stern.   The bow is elevated at the very front and is reverted maybe 15 degrees from the bow point, which is not very clear in the picture attached.

The l.o.a. is exactly 1 000mm and the beam is 295 mm, which includes an already attached pine strip.

Obviously I would like to identify the vessel whilst the model manufacturer would be a bonus.

Cheers,

Peter Gill

Mikasa

• Shipmate
Re: Identification help sought
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 01:36:35 pm »

Hi I would certainley say that it is a steam tug at 1/32 scale it also looks like an empire tug. Hope this is of help. Brian

Scottie

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:55:21 pm »

Hi Peter,

Just thought I'd welcome you aboard.

Sorry, I can't help with identifying the hull.

Scottie

prgill

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:56:34 am »

Brian & Scottie,
Many thanks.   I looked at the Empire tug, which is pretty close, although it is obviously not the hull concerned, being a differnt loa.   I found another, the River Queen, although is also seems to be known as the Queen - a steam towing launch.   

If I am unsuccessful with identifying the hull, I will probably build it into something like the Queen. 

I think I would want to power it with a steam engine.

I am not unfamiliar with modelling - between my twin sons and I we have six aircraft (three power, three gliders) and two serious cars (T Max & Rustler) and therefore have a host of radio gear, but steam is brand new territory.

I haven't got a clue what size/capacity engine to look for and would welcome any suggestions.

Cheers

Peter

Scottie

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 06:11:26 pm »

I haven't got a clue what size/capacity engine to look for and would welcome any suggestions.

Cheers

Peter

You'll probably be better off asking this question in the 'All Steamed Ip' section of the forum.

Scottie

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 06:59:02 pm »

Hi,

I would think a twin oscillating engine would provide more than enough power for this, but you need to remember, the engine is only as powerful as the steaming capacity of the boiler.

Also, unless you are familiar with steam, there are some basic safety issues to be aware of. I have gone through these in the all steamed up section of the forum, probably most of your questions will find an answer there, if not, ask away.

If you look under my builds, at the steam drifter build, you will see my engine and boiler, it will give you an indication of size.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.