Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New project - a restoration/conversion  (Read 38706 times)

Lochen

New project - a restoration/conversion
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:48:29 pm »

Here we go then, a continuation of my other thread but Im now looking for advice/ideas. There are a few pics below of what Im starting with. She was, from what Ive been told, probably built from magazine plans some 20/25 years ago as a 50' Naval Steam Pinnace like the one that HMS Hood carried.
The superstructure is thin sheet metal and I would guess that all the parts were kit form and bolted to the structure, its a bit cheap and 'tinny' but would restore to probably a very high standard with me taking some time and care over it. The aft cabin would probably have to be rebuilt from wood to properly emulate the admirals launch status and because its the least authentic looking part of the boat.

The hull is soundly built from plank on frames with the exception of the stern which needs rebuilding and refitting. She is 50 inches long.

I intend to fit her with a steam plant and full RC and replace the current electric propulsion system. She was never fitted with any RC equipment and was powered (apparantly) with a car battery.

My choices then..................................

Refurbish her to what she is supposed to be (but hide a beautiful steam plant under the midships superstructure) OR convert her to something else while she is in her current state and the opportuunity presents itself. Wherein lies my request for ideas and advice......................given her hull shape has anyone got any ideas as to what she could be made into? I rally really dont want to hide what will be a miracle of modern miniture engineering (the steam plant) under that cabin top.

Underpressure

Re: New project - a restoration/conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »

I really really dont want to hide what will be a miracle of modern miniture engineering (the steam plant) under that cabin top.

I would  :-))

Nice model and what a find. Cheddar models used to have a Pinnace of very similar dimensions in their demo fleet. As I recall she had a V4 Pegasus engine installed at one time and possibly a Gemini or Proteus later.

My choice would be to restore and probably fit a Monahan or Anton plant, but then I am not an open launch fan.

Neil

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:25:30 pm »

this may have been it.

peter

Lochen

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:37:59 pm »

Ah.....now then, that puts a slightly different slant on things, what a beautiful looking model!  :-))

A full restoration would be my simpler route and I can almost feel the buzz when lifting the cabin top to reveal the plant. How did you know I want a Monohan plant in her?  ;)

Underpressure

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:38:15 pm »

Outstanding Peter, you always have the photos. Yes, that may well have been the one.

Any shots of the plant  {-)

I can almost feel the buzz when lifting the cabin top to reveal the plant. How did you know I want a Monohan plant in her?

Ahhh, I can see you understand one of the pleasures of a steam powered working boat.

As to the Monahan. I would have to say it is the natural choice.

Neil

Lochen

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »

Outstanding Peter, you always have the photos. Yes, that may well have been the one.

Any shots of the plant  {-)

Please?  :}

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »

My option, though I love open launches, is to restore her to what she should be, just like the shiny photo in HS93 post above. And take THAT  gun off!!!!
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:41:45 pm »

One advantage of the pinnace build is that it will be more legitimate to open up the throttle whereas an open launch should be operated in a more sedate fashion.

kno3

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 10:39:49 pm »

Why take the gun off? It's supposed to be there.

I think the pinnace can be made into a really beautiful model with the superstructures on. There are plenty of other open launch kits/deigns to use if you want to steam plant to show.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:54:21 pm »

In reality a gun, a 3-pounder, could be mounted on the standard 50' steam pinnace to turn it into a "picket boat", but I'm sure this was very rare.

I don't know whether what you have there is a good model of a 3-pounder.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Lochen

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 11:53:35 pm »

Thanks Andy, I think I agree with you. Looking at the photo above, there are some fairly significant differences to the one I have. Then again I've found plenty of pictures of the real thing and each one is diffferent in some detail or other (hatch positions and funnel predominently). Mine also had a mast fitted onto the transom and port n starboard nav light masts, which others dont appear to have. The way the handrail stanchions are mounted is different on mine too. I haven't yet seen a picture of either a model or the real thing with a gun mounted.

I shall retain some of my ones fittings (particularly the nav lights, they're so neat, made of brass and the tops and fronts open on hinges to reveal the bulbs) but copy some of the differences from others Ive seen.

I guess the differences give me a set of options for the refit in case anything breaks on strip down.

Is it ok with everybody to ask advice via this thread? I'm fairly new to this and will need ask a lot of questions. I will post re fit updates and pictures of progress if that is ok too?

In anticipation of you all being ok with this, my first question.................the superstructure is currently badly painted with household gloss paint. Whats the best way of removing it?
It all seems to be made of soldered 'tin'

Thanks everyone

Barry

kno3

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:20:59 am »

I've used gel paint stripper with good results.

Lochen

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:22 pm »

Paint all off, gel paint stripper did it  :-))

As I thought, the superstructure is made of tin (tin plated steel sheet) quite thin, maybe 20 or 22 gauge and soldered together in sections (Im not sure if this was done in the factory or wether the builder would have done it).

Would anyone recommend sheathing the metalwork with fibreglass before re-finishing, or just fill sand and paint? The old paint wasn't particularly well adhered and I dont know of a paint that will stck well to tin plate.

Thanks
Barry

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 11:48:22 am »

Maybe rattle tin paint from Halfords, they have some good primers also. I normally stand mine in warm water and heat both the room and the item I am spraying, this cuts out any chance of 'blooming', which does polish out with 'T' cut anyway, everything being warm, the paint dries quicker and also there is less chance of dust adhering to the paint. Alternatively prime and brush paint.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 03:06:42 pm »

Look for an etch primer for metal Lochen, if you skin it with liquid plastic it will break orft in bits. Have a look for finishing systems used by the toy steam train fraternity.

Regards  Ian.

Edit. One that cropped up is one called "U-Pol", paint it on and do a low temp. stove and then use a high build paint primer, sand and smooth and then finish coats.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Lochen

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 09:51:10 pm »

Well, half way through priming with the foc'sl done and the aft cabin structure. The main engine room cabin top will have to wait until I can effect some minor repairs to soldered joints as some have cracked. There are also some solder 'spatters' which need 'wiping'.

I used U Pol, acid etch primer first then high built. Its really easy to work with and fills imperfections very well.

Next jobs are rubbing down, filling and another coat, followed by a further flatting then topcoat. Im just stripping the fittings of old paint. When they're coated with new paint I'll reassemble the superstructures.

A few pictures. Ill post the 'improved' article tomorrow when I get some daylight for piccys.

Underpressure

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 10:15:01 pm »

That's quite some construction there.

The model must have some age to it, as I don't thank anyone has worked is soldered tin plate for a long time. I think it's great that you are giving the model a new lease of life.

Please keep us posted.

Neil

Lochen

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:32 pm »

Thanks Neil  :-))

Picture quality isnt great.

Im thinking about strip veneer planking the aft cabin structure wiith mahogany, it was originally painted gloss white! Only above the deckline though.

The funnel top is brass, (hence the masking) it was painted black!

Underpressure

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 08:43:08 am »

Oh yes, that's looking better.

I must confess, I prefer restoring models than I do building from scratch. There are different challenges involved and I enjoy seeing how another modeller worked. Of course this sometimes means some real knotty problems to overcome, but I enjoy the whole process of bringing a model back to life.

Neil

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 08:51:27 am »

I see they have pockets so the windows can be glazed by sliding the glass in.

peter

kno3

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 12:08:43 pm »

That looks really good. It's going to be a great model.

Lochen

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »

Quick update on progress (which is painfully slow as Im only working on it every other weekend, along with getting the model yacht into sailing shape).

Just started planking the aft cabin above the deckline. Its unfinished (just ran out of veneers) and unsanded. Above the window pockets will be planked after the new glass is put in. The cabin will eventually also be veneer plank lined.

It feels like its going well......................... O0

benjaml1

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:07 pm »

Very nice   :-))

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 12:08:04 am »

Wow! That's looking nice! What a difference then from before the restoration. Keep up the great work!

Lochen

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 01:23:16 am »

Thanks chaps.

Hey Nick.....................hoping she'll be worthy of one of your stem plants eventually  :-))

Barry
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.