Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New planked hull build - beginner questions  (Read 8026 times)

andrewa

New planked hull build - beginner questions
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:50:35 am »

Hi All,

I am about to start building a Nimbus MK3 IOM yacht and have a list of questions that are probably answered elsewhere so Ill apologise in advance:

I was going to use beech or mahogany planks for their looks but was told this would lead to a hull too heavy for a competative racing. Somebody then mentioned using balsa planks with a fibreglass tissue layer inside and out so I was going to adopt that construction method. Any comments on this decision welcome.

Question 1: Which glue?

Ive had many suggestions on this subject from esoteric adhesives Ive never heard of to superglue, but nobody ever mentioned white PVA wood glue. Is PVA an option for me or should I be looking for something more exotic?

Question 2: Fibreglass tissue

Where on earth do you get this from? Are there different grades and if so which should I use? Is there a recomended resin/adhesive for applying this to a balsa hull?

Question 3: Plank Cutting

Im sure a straight edge and a modelling knife is sufficient to make good balsa planks but I can imagine a simple attachment for a knife allowing you to make cuts parallel to the edge of the wood would speed things up for the number of planks I will need. Does anybody if such a device is commercially available?

Question 3: Bow reinforcement

The plans I have show all the planks glued to a thin strip of ply at the bow to which the the bow 'bumper' is attached. As Im sure Im going to hit things and hopefully at a good speed so Im wondering if I should add some strengthening here or if the fibreglass coating will be enough?

Im sure Im going to have many many more questions after I actually start work on this but any answers I can get to these questions will at least help me get started.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New planked hull build - beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:37:56 am »

Hi,

I built a nimbus like yours some years ago. I used cedar wood, taper planked and covered with resin and glass tissue. Pictures below.

I fitted a balsa bumper with the intention of turning it into a gin palace yacht, but never got eny further - the hull is now sitting on a shelf.

Cant remember where I got the tissue/resin from, but any good model shop will help you.

The wooden bulkhead is fine, I used 6mm ply. Extra strength comes from the planking, keel and deck.

Ian

PS this hull has also been rubbed down for painting, but never finished, hence the 'rough' finish
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

john j

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:05:26 pm »

When you guys say glass tissue, do you mean tissue that you would use with dope or is it lightweight fibreglass cloth ?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »

I use lightweight f/g cloth, but I think others have used dope type tissue as well, maybe someone else can confirm this?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »

You can get fine f/g tissue and resin from a car auto-body shop,or Halfords,or similar type shops that cater for car enthusiasts,

Wullie

andrewa

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:14:43 am »

Thanks for all the information guys, the tip about Halfords was particularly usefull.

Andy

Bradley

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:25 am »

I think that the answer might be the lightweight fibreglass cloth that the aircraft modellers use for skinning wings, fuselages, etc. :-))
Derek.

wbeedie

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:50:12 pm »

http://www.glasplies.co.uk/  do tissue amongst other things
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.