Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping "Stuff".  (Read 3275 times)

Nordsee

Keeping "Stuff".
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:44:07 am »

Am I the only one who cannot throw things away? I have lots of bits that will never be used again, too big, heavy, out dated Technology, you name it, I've got it!I also have two push- pull, linear sevos, bright orange colour, with futaba plugs added, from where I don't remember.I have a Futaba 4 channel set,35AM era 1980s, with the old plugs, so no Servos available any more, lots of switches and speed contollers, Charging leads for Nicads, do you remember them, the ones you connected direct to the car battery for 20 minutes or until the nicads got warm? Shudder!! I have also an OS 20 Four stroke, in its box.Bought about1982 I think. This little engine was and is magic. beautifully designed and engineered, a little Jewel, first time starting, quiet, and trouble free, ran for about 15 minutes on a 4oz tank, I had so much fun with this engine. Quite likely worth a bit to a Collector, but hard to bring myself to sell it! So, tell us what useless bits you are keeping,  old radios for example!! Everyone should look at an 70s Radio outfit and say "Thankyou" that we do not have the problems today! ( No servo reverse,(in a 4 channel set one servo worked in the opposite direction)  No mixers and channel switching.Massive batteries and servos, receivers etc. )

Roger in France

Re: Keeping "Stuff".
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:53:37 am »

Never throw anything away. The day you do is the day before you find you needed it!

My oldest bits I can remember are two long piano hinges from a piano I destroyed 30 years ago and - wait for it - the two candle holders that were on the piano uprights! They have moved house with me 3 times (even moved country) and I can immediately lay my hands on them if I want them. Problem is I can usually remember, "Ah, I've got a bit of so-and-so somewhere, just right for that job." I then spend an hour looking for it!

Roger in France

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:40:53 am »

I too have an old engine, an OS Max glow plug engine of 1970's vintage, also boxed.

I still have the lead acid battery for the glowplug, refillable type. Why ?

I also have a complete McGregor R/C system, Tx, Rx and servos also 1970's vintage.

Loads of other stuff to numerous to mention.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Wasyl

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »

I,ve also got a full Mcgregor R/C system with Tx Rx and the speed controller,all in good working ord,..a mate was having a clearout,and it was earmarked for the bin,so i rescued it,and oh soo many battery chargers,

Wullie

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:54:40 pm »

REP Unitone??   Elmic Conquest??

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:35:54 pm »

The girlfriend?

Rich

Nordsee

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:58:35 pm »

REP Unitone??   Elmic Conquest?? My brother has one of those, I gave it to him about 30 years ago. Super Regen, 27 mhz, and it still works!

Regards  Ian.

andyn

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:27:19 pm »

I keep being given this 'Stuff'...

I have endless bits of cars, that would never fit anything anymore, and certainly wouldn't fit together to make a whole car, piles of engines that will probably never be used (one of which is rather smashed up anyway), the internal workings of a photocopier, a 4ch 27mhz tx with no reciever, old Ripmax pile motors (most likely u/s), endless supplies of carburetors for engines I've never even owned, about 20 wheels (no two the same), the list goes on...

On another note, how many modellers have miles upon miles of pipe lagging? Everyone I speak to seems to have tons of it...

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 07:02:59 pm »

Wev'e all got loads of this stuff fellas, I still have the first digi 27Mhz tx I built back in the 70s, plug it in, it works perfectly. I flew quarter scale aeroplanes with this  and provided I was well away from built up areas, I never had a glitch. Loads of Futaba stufffrom the 70s too.
I even have a 2ch blue case Mc Gregor tx to which I added a third channel so I could fly with throttle control and this was used to fly a 9ft Auster.!
You will normally find that if you get rid of it you will regret it eventually so if it doesn't take up any vital space, why not keep it?
I've got glow engines all over the place and a few old Diesels too. A friend who collects engines came round here one day, we got out the gallon of Diesel fuel I have had for thirty years and spent a whole day firing up every engine we had... it was a great way to spend the day, we had lots of laughs and everything was thoroughly soaked in castor... smelled wonderful too.
I still own the very first engine I ever bought, a second hand Merco 61 twin plug from Avicraft in Bromley. It's a proper engine... twin piston rings! It flew my old Auster around for three years before a wing strut bracket failed one day at around 150ft .... I still have the ruddy undercarriage for that thing but don't really know why.
I never chuck out anything model related and still get given more since others do....... so if you don't want it, I'll have it!!  %%

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 08:14:50 pm »

I am informed by SWMBO that when I "pop off", my grave is to be 12ft deep and all my "stock" is going in on top of me. The epitaph on my tombstone will be "It never did come in handy". (I am forced to the conclusion that I am included!)

Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:49:02 pm »

Yes, maybe. But when rooting through a pile of stuff most of the most valuable things are at the bottom - if maybe a bit smelly....

Colin

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:17:09 pm »

Colin

Thanks for the thought - I'll tell her!

Mike

Davenotdone

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:54:55 am »

Hi! i too have 'stuff'. Being a dad with two boys aged 8 and 10 i am allways being given 'stuff' !!!  I have been given loads of old Hornby ( i have a track running around on a shelf in a spare room, 18ft x 6ft x 18ft x 6ft ), an old Tamiya r/c Grasshopper car, another old r/c Tamiya car, an old Kiell Kraft wooden pilot/police boat and an unfinished Precedent erkasa, rough but basically sound. All this 'stuff' needs to be finished ( you can tell by my logon ) , so many projects, so little time!!! I am allso in the process of finishing a hangar for my 8 year olds Star Wars space ships and am trying to convert and finish two ready to run boats, the Dickie tug and a Police boat. 'The boys' have 7 Airfix kits on the go and one of the teachers at school has just asked my 10 year old to build a space rocket for a class project!!!!! AAAAgggghhh!!!!   too much stuff and too little time!!!!!!! However, the kids a happy and i like them to get there hand busy making things ( or am i just old fashiond??????)   Regards, Dave.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:33 pm »

Im slowly clearing out the spare garage so I can build a train layout for wifey and me. Yesterday I had to chuck out two laser printers, 2 boxes of assorted laser cartridges and cables, 2 table lamps, a portable tv a pc base unit a year old but in need of attention. All in WORKING order.

And Im going to have to be more ruthless to clear some more stuff.  >:-o

dbninja

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »

sorry guys.......   use "the five year rule"

if you haven't used it for five years............      get shut!

and no i have no regrets!

i got seriously ill ten years ago....   really touch n go if i survived the emergancy surgery   let alone the next 10 monthsr!

kind of causes a chap to take stock!

do i really need a set of spark plugs for a 1973 Honda 250????  and all the other crap i had horded for  40 years?

had the biggest garage clearout via ebay and raised a couple of thousand quids..  the rest went to the tip

i am still here 11 years on, and still trying not to collect a load of sh*te that the "long suffering"  will end up giving to the scrap-man

now i only collect.....    really usefull sh*te...  with the excuse..

i'm investing in this for the grandchildren! :-))         the long suffering reminds we we haven't got any yet  :}

db

Nordsee

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 04:54:54 pm »

I must admit I start my clearouts with good intentions, but I discover bits, that I saved for years ago and just cannot throw them away! My son was here and took three very old Billing kits with him for Fleabay, 2 have gone and there are 160 pounds for our holiday, the last is going in sometime this week. It is partly built, dates from 1971!! but has good wood in it, all Mahogony planking and ply for the superstructure. we will see.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.