Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoms Techniplus 2 channel radio 27Mhz Range problem  (Read 16302 times)

seralph

Acoms Techniplus 2 channel radio 27Mhz Range problem
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:00:34 pm »

Hi I am a complete novice when it comes to R/C so please be gentle with me

My problem is that I have a radio controlled bait boat for fishing which takes bait and rig out in a lake.

I bought it had it for 6 months never been used at all went to france used boat for 2 days then it stopped working
on my return to uk took it back to the guy that built it and he repaired it I tried it out and it seemed to work ok (He fitted new motor)
A year later I returned to france only to find that it only works for about 10 yards then it goes out of control and does whatever it likes.

It has Acoms Techniplus 2 channel radio 27Mhz fitted I have checked aeriel is ok, tried someone elses handset, swapped crystals, made sure batteries are fully charged and I am now at a loss as to what to do.

I dont have any confidence in taking it back to person who built it.

If I were to change radio gear completly what system would you suggest I use.

Or can you point me in direction of problem

Regards Steve

kenthompson

Re: Acoms Techniplus 2 channel radio 27Mhz Range problem
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:44:59 pm »

Hi Seralph
 It may seem daft , but have you got the  crystal s  in the correct place? IE. receiver crystal in the receiver, and the transmitter crystal in the transmitter???,
If you go to change the set, I think most of us are going over to 2.4 .there are a couple of cheep ons on the market, try the internet .
£35.00 and £85 .00, depends on your chose of make?
Not much more I can add mate,,good luck,
Ken..

knoby

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:52:53 pm »

Hi Steve, welcome to mayhem.
Reading your question, it appears the only thing thats changed is the motor,& since then you have had the problem. I think the new motor is causing interference to the radio signal, while the boat is near the transmitter the signal is strong enough to overcome it, but as the boat moves further away, the interference becomes too much for the radio signal. this isn't an uncommon problem & can be quiet easy to fix if you can solder ( or know someone who can. Try fitting some capacitors to the motor, these help eliminate the sparks from the motor, which can cause the interference.

Go to the home page & use the search to look for this thread: SUPPRESION CAPACITORS ADVICE  this should give you the information needed to fit the required capacitors.
Its not guaranteed to fix it, but its cheap & easy to do & usually solves the problem

Also make sure your receiver Ariel is outside of your boat & vertical to ensure it has the best chance of receiving a clear signal.

Cheers Glenn

seralph

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:06 pm »

Hi
Ken Thanks for reply crystals defo in right (tried ones out of a friends boat and tried mine in his)

Glen good thoughts there thankyou I will try that

Regards Steve

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:11:43 pm »

Also check for loose batteries and or corroded battery tabs.... also check the aerial isn't loose.
But usually motor interference is the most common cause as Glenn says along with metal to metal fittings.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14:30 am »

You need to do a 'range check' first.

With the motor not running, switch on the radio and make sure the transmitter aerial is collapsed. Move the rudder stick while slowly walking away from the boat. See how far tou can get away from the boat before the servos start 'twitching' and you have no control. Even with an Acoms, you should get 20 - 25 meters away.

Now try the same with the aerial fully extended. (You may need some help with this one!). Walk away from the boat and see how far you can get without the servos twitching. You should be able to get 75 - 80 (or more) meters away before the servos start twitching. If you only get to the same distance as above ie 25 meters the reciever is probably damaged. If everything is ok try the next step.

Now try with transmitter aerial extended and the motor running. See how far you can get away from the boat before the servos start twitching. If the servos start twitching around 25 meters or less, the motor is causing interference and needs suppressors fitting.

seralph

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:18:32 am »

Range check without motor running nice one (why didnt I think of that) %)
You say with aeriel up 80 meters or more I assume the more to be not much more I was after 200 yards plus
If I want this sort of range would I be better changing radio gear and if so what for

I have put batterys on charge ro try this tange test as boat hasnt been touched since last july when it broke down in france

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:23:52 am »

Steve
At the risk of upsetting the ACOMS Faithful (again), this radio is a budget one and was designed primarily for R/C cars, which don't require a long range. If you want more range then you'll need to go upmarket a bit for a radio which was intended more for model aircraft. There are any number out there, and all have their devotees.
The cheap Chinese 2.4GHz radios are popular, although there are a few quality issues with some of the sets and, of course, after-sales support is generally nil. Above that there's the Spektrum 2.4GHz sets (still a few quirks but they do have a UK distributor with a good customer ethos) and then the 'proper' ones i.e. Futaba, Hitec, JR, Sanwa etc. Like most things, you tend to get what you pay for.
If there are no problems with the availability of frequencies where you sail then I would still advocate a 40MHz FM radio as the best current option. I use Hitec myself.
FLJ

seralph

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

Hi
Thanks for reply

What sort of range will I be looking at
If I go for something like yours (40MHz FM radio as the best current option. I use Hitec myself)
I would need 2 channel but may look at 3 and have bait dropper on seperate servo

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 04:49:49 pm »

Range?

Easy 400m, which is further than most people could see a non sail model, in order to see what direction it is pointing.
Further than most of us can cast a fishing hook anyway.

800m also easily feasible with a good line of sight and perhaps some elevation from a bridge or bund (levee).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 04:51:44 pm »

Unless it's a tiny model - or your eyesight is lousy - then if you can see it you can control it. 1/4 mile ground range is typical.
I advise you not to waste your money on a 2 channel set, even if you can find a 40MHz FM in 2-channel format. 3 channel sets tend to be 'steerwheel and trigger throttle' for cars, so go for at least a 4 channel with two dual-axis sticks, and buy just the Tx, Rx and one servo.
FLJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

seralph

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 08:24:27 pm »

I advise you not to waste your money on a 2 channel set, even if you can find a 40MHz FM in 2-channel format. 3 channel sets tend to be 'steerwheel and trigger throttle' for cars, so go for at least a 4 channel with two dual-axis sticks, and buy just the Tx, Rx and one servo.
FLJ

I take that to mean the servos I already have will work with the 40mhz then thats good

Right a look around for a decent 40mhz set it is then

seralph

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 08:56:15 pm »

Oh But now Martins links have me looking at 2.4

knoby

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 10:53:19 pm »

there's no doubt that a good quality 2.4 or 40 mhz set will improve the range, but if your motor is causing the interference, it will still effect the new set, although maybe to a lesser extent. so its worth going through the range checks with the motor stopped & running as others have suggested, to find out if the motor is the cause of your current trouble. If you can solve the problem it will optimise your set up if you decide to go for a new radio system
cheers Glenn

seralph

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 11:41:26 pm »

Yes I am going to do that glenn

But thought while I am at it I am going to overhaul the boat fully it defo isnt going to break down if france this year and if it does I will of built it so will have spares and tools to fix it.

Looked at motor tonight and it hasnt got any of those suppressors on so that is first job (Maplins tommorrow)

I thought I would get a new radio set so either 2.4 or 40 aint decided yet

Thought I would get a spare speed controller and the little square thing that gets hot (whatever that is)
now mine has got this sort fitted

Now judging by the availability on ebay I take it these are old hat so what should I be replacing it with

God this is a minefield

Regards Steve

seralph

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:10 am »

That picture was a bit small

colin-d

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 09:55:11 am »

wow that belongs in a museum...  {-)  {-)  {-)

i think you would be better off visiting the Intermodelbau in Dortmund, theres a lot of Radios and ESC to be picked up on the cheep side.

theres normally Buses organised from the UK

but if not, you have a few Shows in the UK as well, were the required parts can be obtained.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 11:59:53 am »

Yes I am going to do that glenn

But thought while I am at it I am going to overhaul the boat fully it defo isnt going to break down if france this year and if it does I will of built it so will have spares and tools to fix it.

Looked at motor tonight and it hasnt got any of those suppressors on so that is first job (Maplins tommorrow)

I thought I would get a new radio set so either 2.4 or 40 aint decided yet

Thought I would get a spare speed controller and the little square thing that gets hot (whatever that is)
now mine has got this sort fitted

Now judging by the availability on ebay I take it these are old hat so what should I be replacing it with

God this is a minefield

Regards Steve
Yes.  Replace the mechanical device with an electronic one.  If they grow a layer of muck on the wiper area, that can generate lots of interference as well.  Doing that, you wind up with a spare servo, but spares never come amiss.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

seralph

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 05:47:20 pm »

Ok Then it is oviously built with bits from the arc
So Lets start getting a shopping list together

Want to try and sort it for around £100 if I can so what shall I buy
Decided on the 40mhz

Radio system 40mhz (What Type?)
Electronic Speed controller (What Type?) (do they all work with all systems?)

Will servos I have work with new radio system ?
What is the little square thing thats gets hot with a cage round it?
Do I need that in?
Can it be replaced with something better?
Is £100 a realistic figure to sort it ?
Is there anything else I need on shopping list ?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 06:04:41 pm »

I've sent you a PM.
FLJ

seralph

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 06:50:54 pm »

FLJ
I have had a look at motor and it just says

HRS550s-8819F
DC7.2v/G

Does this help

Regards Steve

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 07:44:00 pm »

Googled this and found a reference to an electric flight motor. Seems to draw around 8A on load, judging by the duration and battery capacity that the guy quotes. Belt-and-braces says a 15A - 20A speed controller should do the job on 7.2 - 8.4 volts. Sling out that square thing that gets hot NOW!

Similar gen on the main battery and a servo would be very helpful - we're pretty good on here but we know we ain't telepathic!

FLJ

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »

Don't throw it away. Put it on ebay- a Tamiya car collector will pay a couple of quid for that, which you can put towards a decent electronic speed controller.

seralph

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »

Servos
Acoms ic AS12 Servo   (Already been told they are poo so will be changed)

Main Battery
537-5438
6v 10ah/20hr
Valve Regulated Sealed Lead Acid

Standby use 6.75v / 6.9v
Cycle use 7.2v / 7.5v
initial current  less than 3a

Hope this helps
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.