Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaport Tug to freelance steam outline  (Read 6611 times)

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
Seaport Tug to freelance steam outline
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:26:22 pm »

Have converted the Seaport Tug to a freelance steam outline based on a model steam powered tug I saw on the Net. Radio is now 2.4 GHz and motor control by a Viper ESC.  Still work to be done, some details to be added and model to be painted. Still in rather patchy grey primer.

The outline looks a little top heavy but fairly pleased by slightly quirky appearance. Enormous ventilators are as a result of using ping pong balls cut in half. After a sinking in its original guise last year I have filled all available interior space with the rest of the pack.

Have sailed the model once at Lomond Shores, Balloch, Scotland with the preserved paddler Maid of the Loch as a backdrop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5hDAsj3is

The model can be put back to something approaching its original state by simply switching superstrucures.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Seaport Tug to freelance steam outline
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:57:25 am »

A nice quirky conversion Mole. I thought it was a vintage US Navy harbor tug because of they grey colour.  I`d decided that was going to be the theme of my conversion but probably in WWII Russian grey livery , lend lease or something. I havent got too far along the route so far but here are a couple of pics.
..well can you land on this?

Davenotdone

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:11:34 pm »

Very nice models!!! I to am converting one of these tugs...............but i had a problem! I put in a new prop shaft and a 45m brass prop ( kept the original motor ) and proceeded to burn the motor out!!! Before running yours just check the motor has ' breathing slots ' . The plastic engine mount and the heatsink ( thin plate ) both need slots cutting out of them to give the motor ventilation. I now realise i was trying to spin too big a prop with the original motor. Could you please tell me the size of the original prop please ( i sold mine when i converted ) as i will replace my prop with the original size. Regards, Dave.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »

Thanks, there was an answer to the prop size on one of the threads here, I think it is titled "Prop Size"    IMHO 45 mm is too big for the standard motor yes. I`ll be fitting a Springer set-up. 540 motor 35mm direct to see how it goes. Water cooling coil and open mount slots of course.
..well can you land on this?

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:22:50 pm »

A nice quirky conversion Mole. I thought it was a vintage US Navy harbor tug because of they grey colour.  I`d decided that was going to be the theme of my conversion but probably in WWII Russian grey livery , lend lease or something. I havent got too far along the route so far but here are a couple of pics.

Like your conversion, be sure to keep updated.

Very nice models!!! I to am converting one of these tugs...............but i had a problem! I put in a new prop shaft and a 45m brass prop ( kept the original motor ) and proceeded to burn the motor out!!! Before running yours just check the motor has ' breathing slots ' . The plastic engine mount and the heatsink ( thin plate ) both need slots cutting out of them to give the motor ventilation. I now realise i was trying to spin too big a prop with the original motor. Could you please tell me the size of the original prop please ( i sold mine when i converted ) as i will replace my prop with the original size. Regards, Dave.

The original is 45mm diameter plastic, perhaps something to do with weight and possibly pitch? . I have kept the Kort nozzle. Out of keeping with vintage of tug but the manoeuvrability it affords is too big a plus for me to ignore as we often sail in a fairly narrow waterway.

Andy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 04:09:18 pm »

Dave I have just measured my prop which is original and it is a 40mm 3 blade.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Davenotdone

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:53:15 pm »

Thanks for the info on prop size,  i will probably change my brass 4 blade  45mm prop to a  3 blade 40mm plastic one as originally fitted. I suppose a brass one takes more power out of the motor and battery to turn  or am i just being fussy? Regards, Dave.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 04:59:38 pm »

Brass wold be OK as long as its 3 bladed and 40mm. :-))

Davenotdone

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 05:41:47 pm »

Hi! thanks for that, i will go for a brass one, by the way do you use a 6v 4.5 amp battery or a 6v 5amp battery? Is it ok to run my receiver on the 6v SLA battery using the  BEC  or would you advise to run the receiver seperatley? Regards, Dave.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »

Hi Dave I run mine on a 6V 5amp SLA and a seperate supply [4AA batteries] for Rx.

You can use a 6V 4.5amp if you want.

You can run the Rx of the Bec if you like.

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:00 pm »

Sorry guys. just re-measured my prop, this time with my reading glasses on, and it is of course 40mm. <:(

Nice Tug DickyD, like that. O0

Davenotdone

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:19 am »

High! Just wondering how people run the receiver aerial. Do you have it running vertically outside the boat or horizontally  around the inside of the hull?? Regards, Dave. 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:03 am »

Either, it doesn't matter.

Davenotdone

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 09:01:47 am »

Cheers!  thanks for that, i have,nt given up at getting my Dickie tug running once and for all!!!! Regards, Dave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.