Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morrisons Fuel Query  (Read 6753 times)

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
Morrisons Fuel Query
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:50:54 am »

...Good Morning Guys...

Over the last year or so I have had several instances of a loss of power on my car engine due to dirty diesel  fuel...This happens when accelerating, especially at motorway speeds...
I buy most of my fuel at our local Morrisons Supermarket...I was talking about this in the pub on Monday Night and one or two people had remarked that they wouldn,t buy fuel from Morrisons as they have also had similar problems and said that there is a lot of dirt in their fuel...

Has anyone  here had ,or heard of similar problems with Morrisons Fuel...

...Best Regards...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: Morrisons Fuel Query
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:02 am »

don't use Morrisons for fuel , and dont know if this realtes to them or any other company but i was told that 20% of your fuel (diesel) could be water :o .
daz
Oh i have a petrol car  :-)
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:16:01 am »

That's interesting.  I used this 'store' a few weeks ago to re fuel, shortly afterwards the car developed a missfire, which has now cleared. Refueling at my usual garage now. I believe all these fuels are supplied by main dealers....I must say the fuel was the lowest priced in the area...mick

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:20 am »

That all sounds a bit iffy but I have encountered the same thing with one or two producers of cheap heating oil. Fill up the tank and a month later the boiler has sooted up with customers complaining bitterly. It would appear there is a certain amount of fuel blending going on these days  and re-cycled fluids such as recovered fuel oils and cooking oils can be added and blended with the standard fuel. These fuels are often sold at a much cheaper price because of this but are somewhat variable in performance. I am not saying that Morrisons are doing this but in this world you don't get 'owt for nowt' so I wonder if this fuel blending goes on in the automotive power game too.

I would always stick with proper fuel outlets although having said that, I always used to  experience problems with cheap 'Jet' petrol, my cars used to misfire and 'pink' terribly. So bad in one case I thought I was going to bust some of my piston rings on my way up country. As soon as I filled up with Esso, the problem vanished.... I've never used 'Jet' since.
I would stick with the 'pukka' outlets, it could cost you more than you save otherwise.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:40 am »

Supermarket fuels usually all come from a local depot, so that all the cheap brands will often come from the same distribution point. I worked at the gulf oil depot in the Black Country a few years back. It was amazing the number of small oil companies and supermarkets that would fill up there.

Something else springs to mind.
ref the diesel problem, it might also be due to slashing.
Diesel gets slushy in sub zero temperatures. Anti-sludging agents are added (we used to add kero in our vehicles).
The big companies like Shell, BP, Esso will probably have more sophisticated anti sludging agents in their fuels.

So perhaps during the extreme cold snaps, it may be worth shifting away from supermarket diesel. When it gets warmer things may change.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:28:42 am »

In OZ....approx 60% of all dosmestic petrol consumed is via the two supermarket chains [Coles = Shell & Woollworths = Caltex] discount deal........I believe the fuel is sourced from PETRONUS which is owned by the Indonesian Government

The balance petrol is from the Middle East or and local production....the only issue  >>:-(  <*< we find is the occasional engine "knocking" via an O2 sensor in the exhaust as a result of incomplete combustion via a low RON number for the fuel if it was purchased from a backyard ----- No Name  %% supplier .........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 12:04:14 pm »

In my area all the supermarket tankers fill up at Lindsey Oil Refinery
owned by Total
However the local Shell garage tracks at usually 1p below the supermarkets
and if their petrol is good enough for a certain Mr Schumacher I think it
will be good enough for me!

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

brianc

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 12:23:18 pm »

I fill up my works vehicels at Morrisons all the time (we were told to, as they have some sort of deal with them)
Average about 1200 miles a week.....Never encountered a problem........YET! %)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »

Never had a problem with uncle Kens fluids but these are worth a look :- http://online.arval.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=fuelPricing.Network&NW=fuel

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:46:33 pm »

I have been using Morrison's petrol in all my cars (1933 - 2008) since the local store opened about 12 years ago. Never had a problem.

Rick

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 02:02:18 pm »

I invariably fill up with diesel (the wife with petrol) at local Morrisons. Never had a problem.

Barry M

PS Was it not the (withdrawn) Formula Shell which was alleged to burn out valve seats on certain vehicles some years ago?

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »

...Good Afternoon Guys...

I have changed the fuel filter & Flushed the system with Diesel System Cleaner...I also filled the filter with Cleaner before fitting it...

Test Drive Complete and Full Power Resumed...Thats The Good Bit...

Whilst doing a wee bit of maintainance on my Beloved Ford Galaxy I found that since my rear window washer stopped working about 6 months ago I have been filling the passenger footwell with water...
The hose had parted on the side bulkhead under the glove compartment...

What A Mess I found when i lifted the carpet...I think I will need a really strong air Freshener for a while...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 02:28:32 pm »

...sure it wasnt a dead curry  %) ?   Jist a joke Norry me pal O0 O0 O0 O0
..well can you land on this?

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 03:03:50 pm »

I use Morrisons petrol and diesel (in different vehicles) almost exclusively, The diesel doing 1000 miles a week .....with no problems

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 04:06:35 pm »

My dad, aways swore by National Benzole......would drive for miles to find a garage selling it... :-))

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 05:14:38 pm »

In OZ....approx 60% of all dosmestic petrol consumed is via the two supermarket chains [Coles = Shell & Woollworths = Caltex] discount deal........I believe the fuel is sourced from PETRONUS which is owned by the Indonesian Government

They'll not like that...Petronas is Malaysian

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 05:34:21 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I spoke to a mate of mine this afternoon and he said he reckons the problem is in Our Local Branch,s Underground Fuel Tank...Where the fuel is stored...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »

I'm a bit nervous about this thread, company names, accusation etc...... it might suddenly dissapear or become heavily moderated.

Martin - Admin

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Wasyl

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 08:43:46 pm »

Spoil sport! {-)....or Panic merchant!

Wullie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 09:06:42 pm »

Grasshopper said......"They'll not like that...Petronas is Malaysian" ....... :-)) tanks for the correction  :embarrassed: - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 09:33:02 pm »

You may be right Martin , from what i can gather the fuel in different regions comes from the nearest refinary and which ever retailer wants fuel they will recieve theirs from the nearest depo . whether its Mxxxxxxs Txxxo or Axxa (cunning disguise of real names  :-)) )
they all get it from the same source in their area, but i could be wrong   %) .
daz

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 09:48:01 pm »

...Good Morning Guys...

Over the last year or so I have had several instances of a loss of power on my car engine due to dirty diesel  fuel...This happens when accelerating, especially at motorway speeds...
I buy most of my fuel at our local Morrisons Supermarket...I was talking about this in the pub on Monday Night and one or two people had remarked that they wouldn,t buy fuel from Morrisons as they have also had similar problems and said that there is a lot of dirt in their fuel...

Has anyone  here had ,or heard of similar problems with Morrisons Fuel...

I've had this issue from one Texaco station locally. I dont buy diesel from that station any more. The car used to 'falter' under acceleration. I dont for one minute buy the 'Morrissons' arguement as I run 3 cars, two diesel and one petrol mostly on their fuel which I get from the same site. If you have poor running on one type of fuel I'd generally suspect a station's tanks arent properly filtered for dirt and or water,

Years ago, many garages used to say dont buy supermarket petrol for the simple reason it was taking sales off them. It happens all the time when the motor trade has competition. Who cannot forget the same thing when exhausts and tyres first started being sold by quick fit cut price retailer?

In any event, the fuel sold by the supermarkets is refinded at BP Shell etc refineries. Its only if you're buying Shell V Power (or whatever its called) will it be different and even then, that's only the additives.

Some people claim to get more mpg with the branded fuel. When I did my own trial, I actually got less. I decided its down to how you drive with the branded fuel and personal prejudices.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:08 pm »

I tried running my Mazda on the so called good stuff from Shell but i found out that the economy  dropped nearly 5mpg so i switched back to the normal stuff , been on it ever since with no probs. I have also run on supermarket fuel in my area with no probs.
daz

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 11:05:08 pm »

Hi there, as a worn out oil man, can I put forward a few facts that might clear up some of the confusion as to what is happening here.
Yes the basic fuel can come from one refinery and supply a number of different brands BUT all fuels are NOT the same. There is a lot of quite sophisticated equipment at terminals which injects the individual companies additive packages into the base fuel.
From the descriptions given I'd say that the problem is that the tank at Norrys Mxxxxxxxs is affected by something called cladisporium resinae, which, essentially is a microbic infection. These wee bugs can happily live in the diesel and produce the black sludgy stuff which blocks filters and is generally a pain in the axxe. There is a chemical treatment which will clear it up but until the affected storage tank is treated it will keep coming back.
Oh, and the statement that "your fuel can contain 20% water" is just nonsense - if the stuff was 20% water the engine wouldn't start in the first place.
Hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.