Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tito Neri Schottle drive maintenance  (Read 3035 times)

first tug

Tito Neri Schottle drive maintenance
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:18:56 am »

Does anybody know if there is any maintenance that is required on the lower ends of the drives on Graupner drives?

And if so how do they come apart?

towtug

Re: Tito Neri Schottle drive maintenance
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »

Yes they do require maintenance, adjustment of the clearances after lubrication of the gears and the rotating shaft Assembly.
Follow instructions on post after yours. Good luck.

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:19:41 pm »

Hi not sure if you have the plastic gear or the brass
I have had both, be careful what grease you put into the plastic ones (they don't last long with grease) as they are water lubed and cooled.

If you have the large size then you will notice a thru hole in the forward facing cone, pass a strong small steel bar through this and unscrew the cone slightly. Remove the small cir-clip that holds the Kort blade prop onto the shaft and pull the prop off (it is located on flats on the shaft) then remove the cone completely you can now draw out the lower shaft.
To remove the down shaft you have to remove the top sprocket (drive wheel) this is also held by a cir-clip, pull this off and you will fins a short steel pin through the down shaft, slide this out and keep safe, the top bush needs to be drawn out of the body to allow the down shaft to be removed.
The whole unit will drop out of the hull fixing boss once the top drive sprocket / pin and the steering sprocket (square center) are removed.

I found that if these units are filled with chain lube then they are much quieter and last longer (for me the did)

first tug

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:21:19 pm »

Thanks i will read

first tug

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:35:34 pm »

Hi tow tug when you say pass a strong small steel bar through the small hole in the front of the cone am i  unscrewing the cone or am i pushing on a release clip in side to remove the cone? If i am unscrewing when you say unscrew slightly do you mean remove the cone completely or just unscrew to remove the pressure from the shaft?

Ps thank for the info

catengineman

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 05:43:53 pm »

You just need to unscrew it so that it is loose for later on.
1/4 turn is enough I have found.

pick off the cir-clip from the prop shaft then pull the prop off then remove the cone and lower shaft, If your only doing routine maint's then squirt chain lube into the case while you block up the shaft hole with a finger until the case is full then re assemble, grease will be forced out as the parts are fitted.

first tug

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:59:42 pm »

catengineman. If these unit are new should they be ok till i get some hours on then

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:25 pm »

Sorry for the delay in replying work is getting in the way.

I found that when my ones were new they still let a slight amount of water into the hull so I filled them with chain lube and then that stopped

I did a slight mod to mine in that I fitted tubing so I could pump the chain lube in which forced out any water ingress.

On the hull fixed part there is a small pipe spigot which will only lube the swivel I put the ASD at 90* to the normal ahead drive position and drilled through the swivel stock so that any grease would then fill into the drive shaft space. I then fitted some pipe to those pipe spigots to make the whole job easier than stripping the drives down.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.