Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone sail multihulls?  (Read 26375 times)

Eddy Matthews

Re: anyone sail multihulls?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 08:53:50 pm »

eddy ive never sailed one so not sure but from what i have seen and read they are way faster than a mono hull.im sure andy can tell us in more detail,one thing i supose mono hulls have over them is they dont tip over as easy but im just guessing .heres a link to a discusion about it check it out http://http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=2920&highlight=10R+sterne+viper

Thanks for that - Seems like the general concensus is that multi-hulls are faster than mono's in anything over a very light breeze.... Maybe it's time I actually got round to building one?

Eddy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 10:30:01 pm »

eddy if you want i can send you the plans for the nightmare i have all the frames and side and top views even has the servo positions in the hull etc.i also have four sheets with exact measurements for everything pluss plans of the sails 2 suits i think. ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 10:32:41 pm »

Too deep for chest waders ??
not too deep but knowing my luck ill trip over some bloody shopping trolley from tescos lol.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 09:42:16 am »

I thought that was all part of the fun of it, the Tesco trolley, the abandoned stolen bike the lurking Asda carrier bag waiting to turn into an instant sea anchor. Part of modern living  ;D ;D

MikeK

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 10:46:56 am »

hi mate ive been searching the net and i found this thread on another site about the irons issue and seems if the boat is designed and built well its not that much of an issue.apparently angling the cross beams up slightly makes the boat tack better read this and see what peter birch has to say.http://http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=2543

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 11:48:40 am »

i forgot to add this its a cpl of videos of a small multi hull looks like he needs a wing on his rudder oops!!!http://http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m233/clipper_007/?action=view&current=Capsize.flv

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 11:52:51 am »

Hi there,
Looks like an interesting site for all things sailing. I've bookmarked it for future reading, thanks.
If what the Australian gent says is correct then the 'V' configuration of the floats to centre hull certainly solves the irons problem I mentioned. When I watched that multi it seemed that it was that due to the lack of weight it came almost to an immediate standstill as soon as it lost ideal driving winds, but the Aussy gentleman reckons that he could tack as easily as a mono and he certainly seemed to know what he was on about.
Look forward to reading your progress whenever you get to build it.
Regards

MikeK
PS just read your latest - off to look at videos. At this rate you'll have me planning a new project as well  :D :D

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 11:58:03 am »

glad you liked the links apparently the guy is well respected and does know what hes doing.if you fancy the plans i have pm me your email and ill send them all ,theyre in pdf mainly just need to click the correct ones as he attached some in other formats too.im sure you can sort them out and they print well on a 4 paper and arent hard to peice together although you need quite a few sheets of a4 lol!!

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 01:43:19 pm »

Martin
I'd say apart from the fact he has no wing, the top of his main has a lot of 'twist', this is causing the top of the mast to be pushed over the float, making the boat 'trip.' If his kicker was a bit tighter it would flatten and depower the top of the rig.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 02:53:50 pm »

andy i did notice that also but im no expert so wasnt sure that was the cause .the boat also looked quite small maybe a metre long at a guess.pluss it was pretty windy ,what kind of wind would you sail these boats in what i mean is can you sail them in the same conditions youd sail say a IOM?.obviously you would need sails to suit the conditions.i was considering what rigs to make as i live on the coast the light wind rig wouldnt get much use so i was thinking of a second rig and a storm rig for when it blows .also on the plans i notice the mast is angled back towards the transome quite a bit,also have you heard of what i said before angling the cross beams up a bit so the floats are lifted higher than the main hulls water line so they dont both sit in the water when the boat is under way.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 05:04:46 pm »

Martin,
Yes you need to angle the beams up to keep the floats clear of the water.
I had four suits of sails for mine, because I do get a lot of time off when its windy, so I sailed it more in strong winds than light, I used to find if it capsized in a good blow, more often than not it would right it self, it would have drag caused by the rigs, so the floats would blow to leeward and up she would come, they will sail in as much wind as a 1metre, just so long as you aren't overcanvassed. They are very exciting, it amazes me how on the grass or side of the pond they will blow away and self destruct, you struggle to hold them, and once on the water they are so much safer. Allways carry large screwdriver and pin the mast to the ground when they are ashore.
You tend to rake the mast back some to stop the lee float from being driven under the water, when the mast is raked it is suppose to provide some lift. These boats don't seem so affected by weather helm as a monohull, i guess the drag from ther lee float keeps things balanced.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2006, 05:46:09 pm »

Thanks for the offer of the plans, Martin,  but I am in the middle of a long, slow 'what the hell - I'll do it tomorrow' build of a planked A Class yacht so if you don't mind I will build a multi by proxy by watching your progress  ;D ;D

Regards

MikeK

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2006, 06:44:58 pm »

Martin,
Yes you need to angle the beams up to keep the floats clear of the water.

Andy

The plans for the Snapdragon show a waterline with all three hulls  immmersed at the same time. Granted the outriggers are not by very much. Is this because it was designed before the "rocker" effect was seen to be useful ?  If there would be an advantage to have the outriggers higher I would not be able to use the straight tubular beams as shown and will have to fabricate different ones.  Comments welcome please.

Don B.

BTW - I see you are skipper of the "Mair" - do you service the buoys around Cardigan Bay ? If so I will have seen you moored off the St. Tudwals islands - I look out at them from my house.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2006, 09:44:47 pm »

thanks for the input ANDY much appreciated  no doubt when i do start the build there will be more questions for you ,i hope you dont mind  ;).DON i think if you think about it you can still use the straight beams all thats needed is to raise the centre attach point on the main hull to give you the 6% or so height difference on the floats.on the plans for my boat the floats sit level with the cwl of the main hull so raising the centre attach point slightly on yours should raise the floats to the desired height i would think?.Andy i take it that when the boat is sitting level the floats are just above the water? how much by would you say?or are they just barely touching the water?.
martin

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 06:40:04 pm »

heres the coolest video ever hope you all enjoy it!!http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWINygISxDE&eurl=

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 07:06:11 pm »

Brilliant video, it must be one of the greatest highs to be sailing flat out on a big multi.

MikeK

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 08:07:33 am »

This has been one of the most interesting threads I have had the pleasure of reading and posting replies. All of the video links have been superb.
Andy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 05:54:56 pm »

This has been one of the most interesting threads I have had the pleasure of reading and posting replies. All of the video links have been superb.
Andy
Andy im glad ive kept you amused lol hers another two videos of some rc multis that ernst zemmen sent me.i beleive the white one is the ghost train that was modified some to put more volume in the floats i beleive not sure if this was done before or after the vid but she seems to scoot along nicely .i also added some pics of the ghost train after alterations to floats at the bow.enjoy after all its nearly christmas lol

]]http://www.modellbauvideos.de/index.php?id=64

]]http://www.modellbauvideos.de/index.php?id=44

http://http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/artikel_06/art_06-079/art_079-01.html

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2006, 10:15:04 am »

Excellent videos - I noticed that one of the Trimarans had what looks like a foam flotation (?) block at the top of the mast - presumably to stop a complete inverted  capsize.  Anybody know how effective these are and if they are really necessary ?

I just roughly assembled the three hulls for my Snapdragon with the beams in place. Wow - these things really are big - no longer than some of my other boats but its the beam that makes them seem to fill the room.  Which brings another problem - in order to get the flotation level right to ensure the floats are just higher than the main hull before I fix the beams to main the hull it needs to be in the water, I normally test my boats in the bath - but I haven't got a 4 foot wide bath  :D

Don B.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 10:47:55 am »

kids paddling pool ? lol,glad you liked the vids i beleive the floatation does work or so i understand time will tell lol .it needs to swing on a pin i beleive but im not sure how that works ,this allows it to move in the wind and it is a good wind indicator ive been told.i think they are foam covered with glass or epoxy .back to getting your hulls to correct level if you work out where your cwl is on the main hull sit the boat level then just put the floats so the bottom of them sits slightly higher than the cwl, should work in theory.just measure up from the floor or table or use a straight edge set level touching the main hull.and measure up from there to get the floats to the correct height.not sure how much higher but you could experiment and see what works best.maybe andy can help with this one?.
ps any pics of you boat for us? please  ;)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2006, 05:23:14 pm »

I make a jig to sit the 3 hulls in and fit the crossbeams in the jig, this keeps every thing square. The method if using straight carbon tube is to fix this in position on top of the main hull, the floats, the beams can go through the sides of the floats, this is very srtrong, usually you resin thicker tubes in the floats, so the beams will slide into this. you can rig a boat in 10 minutes at the lake, better tham bolting every thing.

my tri in France.

Mine and a friend of mine in France, both boats sponsored by windpowersails.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2006, 05:38:50 pm »

andy you dont think were gonna let you off that easy do you? details lol pics of it and a few tips on how to do it would be great.for your help id like to share this video with you lol
http://http://www.thedailysail.com/ism/articles.nsf/Photo/D984342CE7CB5CF3802571BF001905DB

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2006, 05:25:14 pm »

ps any pics of you boat for us? please  ;)

OK  early progress photos. Main hull planked and glassed - yet to be sanded and fitted out. Outer hulls - white foam (to be left in) covered in fibreglass, beam supports fixed on and beams shown in place. Outer hulls will not be decked but covered in coloured stick-on vinyl for lightness. (BTW you can see I am limited for building space  :( )

Don B.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2006, 05:47:37 pm »

I would set that up so that the floats are higher than the main hull, this will make the sails set better in light winds, and you will go faster because only the main hull and one float would be in the water. It will also tack better, its easier to do it now than after completion
Andy

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2006, 06:49:44 pm »

Thanks Andy, only the floats are connected at the moment - the relationship to the main hull has to be established  - I will certainly do as you suggest.  BTW - did you see my earlier posting which included a question about you and the Mair ?

Don B.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.