Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone sail multihulls?  (Read 26376 times)

Stavros

Re: anyone sail multihulls?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2006, 11:27:07 pm »

At this rate Don you will need a transit van to transport it !!!!
Merry Xmas

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2006, 11:33:27 pm »

You can make the beams enter the floats just below deck level, this will lift the floats, or space the beams up a bit where they cross the main hull, doing this will give you the chance to fit different spacers. Keep the beams straight they will be stronger. It doesn't harm to have the floats angled out slightly at the bottom, so they sit upright when the boat sits on the main hull and the one float.
We do get up your way sometimes in Mair, we usually overnight at Porth Dinllaen.
Look at these photos
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/artikel_06/art_06-079/art_079-01.html
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2006, 11:21:01 am »

Andy is that a modified ghost train? were those raised bits at the bow to add volume to the hulls?.how does she sail now compaired to before,the reason i ask is a freind is building the ghost train too .check out this thread on rcu it might also interest Don
PS I SEEN THOSE PICS BEFORE!!

http://http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5101037/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2006, 10:25:52 pm »

I think it is a modified Ghost Train, I really don't think the floats need that. But I did find the floats I bought in France improved the boat, there was a lot more rocker in them. It tacked better. Certainly I did not lose anything. If I had the time I would build another like it. Shame I sold it really.
Andy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2006, 11:23:19 pm »

the reason i asked is i was told there had been a big discusion on a german site about the lack of volume in the floats of the ghost train and i think thats where the pics are from?.i cant wait to build mine (nightmare vII) in the spring,i was thinking of just building the b rig to start with a 170 cm mast as i doubt id ever use the a rig anyway .i may also do the c rig and start sailing it with that first till im used to how she handles.how much higher would you lift the floats in comparison with the cwl on the main hull how high would you say the bottom of the floats need to be .1 inch maybe or more?.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2006, 09:55:16 pm »

The second rig at 1.7m is fine, its not that much smaller than the full rig, you will probably get more use out of it. The floats need to be about 12mm above the waterline when the boat is sat in the water, this is at max beam for a mini40 of 1.250m, you can load the hulls up and tape things together to do a trial float test, but it is very important to have a float clear of the water when at rest, it will perform so much better.
Andy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2006, 10:41:43 pm »

Thanks for that Andy ill be sure to do that i appreciate your help mate .

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2007, 05:39:20 pm »

hi guys hope everyone had a great xmas and new year? .anyone get anything nice for xmas ?.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2007, 08:01:43 pm »

Sails for multihulls at www.windpowersails.8m.com

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2007, 07:40:06 pm »

The Snapdragon.

Almost finished - just the sails to make now  :)

Don B.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2007, 07:58:52 pm »

Thats looking good. Be nice to see it on the water. Sails available at www.windpowersails.8m.com
Andy

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2007, 08:04:25 pm »

Seriously, if you are going to make your own sails, even if you make them from one panel, make the luff (Where the main joins the mast) sorry to explain like this, but don't know your knowledge of sailing. Any way the luff needs to be curved, so that about 2/3rds up the sail is max curve, and this measurement needs to be upto 10mm, no more, this will put curve in the sail panel, and also when you tighten down on the kicking strap you won't get a crease from the tack to the mast. giving the panels shape also helps, but I can't explain here how to do it.
Andy

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2007, 11:10:56 pm »

Thanks Andy I appreciate the advice.   I have made  a few sets of sails for various boats so I have a fair idea of what I am going to do with this one (sorry if that sounds arrogant - it isnt meant too) but advice is always welcome.

I have been into yacht sailing ( full size) for quite a few years. Amongst several types of dinghies which I owned , I built my own OK single hander and sailed it in the  OK Class World Champs back in the 60's.  Learnt a lot about aerodynamics during my 15 years of gliding and then later owned a 32 ft ketch which I sailed as far North as the Scottish Isles and South to Brittany and Spain. So I guess I picked up a lot of theory on the way. Added to which a good friend has a sail loft in Pwllheli where I pick up tips  ;)   

Thanks for your interest.
Don   

Stavros

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2007, 11:17:12 pm »

Looks good Don when we have Bubbly on the banks of the lake.Make sure this time it is on a sunday will you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2007, 11:53:51 pm »

Welsh Druid
Cheers you should have something tidy when all done. plenty of experience anyway, I was brought up sailing, later going to sea as a career, involved in yacht deliveries, I just make model yacht sails in my spare time now. Still working though as a skipper at sea.
Andy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2007, 09:30:56 am »

hi Don looking good mate cant wait to see her on the water dont forget to get some pics and video of her when she gets wet!!.from the pics she looks like she has a flat deck on all hulls is that right? i was told a flat deck makes it harder for them do desperse water if one float goes under? slowing the boat down a lot also if that happens not having sailed on i dont know but its what i was told.that rounded decks are the best way to go maybe andy can clear this up?.dont think im knockin your build mate she looks nice ,im making the sails myseld also as i have lots of ripstop lying arround and i have a few sites with how to do it etc i uses.thanks for the tip on the luff for flat sails andy thats a good idea ill try that one for my current boat.i cant be bothered to make panelled ones for her but may do for the multi i know how to do it by making a camber board to put the shape in just cand be bothered when it comes to it.i made flat ones for my current boat and they work fine for fun but then i dont race so im not worried.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2007, 01:07:07 pm »

Seriously, if you are going to make your own sails, even if you make them from one panel, make the luff (Where the main joins the mast) sorry to explain like this, but don't know your knowledge of sailing. Any way the luff needs to be curved, so that about 2/3rds up the sail is max curve, and this measurement needs to be upto 10mm, no more, this will put curve in the sail panel, and also when you tighten down on the kicking strap you won't get a crease from the tack to the mast. giving the panels shape also helps, but I can't explain here how to do it.
Andy

Sorry to sound dumb but is this a convex curve of the luff or concave?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2007, 01:35:10 pm »

Tiger
Its convex  You might find this link useful 

http://www.sailsetc.com/downloads/Sailmaking_Notes.pdf

Don

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2007, 03:19:43 pm »

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2007, 04:34:09 pm »

ok boys and girls seeing as you enjoyed the last videos i posted i thought you may like thes too hope you enjoy them .ok they arent rc boats but they are multis and well they are just so good !!

]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4BCSKTbB98&mode=related&search=

]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8A-Mx2yKw&mode=related&search=

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Sq-N0n_PI&mode=related&search=

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2007, 07:01:16 pm »

The Snapdragon has sailed  :D

It went superbly apart from when I kept getting into irons - helmsman fault not the boat.

Then an almighty gust sent it off at a wild speed followed by the lee hull digging in and a pitchpole.

With no rescue boat and no-one with waders the retrieve was interesting :D

Don B.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2007, 07:39:23 pm »

Great video Don - lovely boat,lovely lake and lovely music. You could almost sense the clenched buttocks everytime Snapdragon lifted the onto the lee float alone  ;D ;D

MikeK

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2007, 09:02:27 pm »

Looks very good Welsh Druid, impressive turn of speed, just be careful of bearing away under power, this is when pitch poles can occur. Bet you are pleased with the end result.
Andy

Stavros

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2007, 11:13:11 pm »

cracking video Don wish I was there will you have it repaired by weds or will it be sun Stav

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2007, 09:18:34 am »

Stavros

Its fixed already - the only damage was one of the diamond stays on the mast had come adrift - caused by the mast hitting the bottom of the lake as we dragged it ashore.  Fixed it in less than ten minutes. The weather forecast is showing rain and 23 mph wind for Wed.  so not too sure about then  :(

Don
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.