Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone sail multihulls?  (Read 26374 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: anyone sail multihulls?
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:55 am »

hi mate going to watch the vid when its loaded if i were you id put mast buoyancy on the mast to stop her going right over that way the wind will eventually right her again.
just watched the smaller vid wow mate she looks nice and sails well great job now im going to watch the longer one thanks for sharing mate great video.dont forget the mast buoyancy it will save a lot of wading lol.also i notice the decks are flat? if thats the case id maybe think of adding some roundness at the bows at least. to let the floats shed water faster if they dip under this should help stop her pitch poling .just round some foam and epoxy it to the bow sections and epoxy coat them and that should do the trick just an idea but she looks really nice .doesnt look like mines gonna get built any time soon just had a lot to fork out on other things so shes on the back burner for now unfortunately.well done on the build shes looks great on the water and pretty fast too.

ofat1

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2007, 01:51:34 pm »

Hi, just note to say Hi and let you view a couple of pics of my Tri, she was bought over the net as a Lets give it a go, having never saild Tris before, but being told what an art it is!. Sheis not large and unforgiving, but with a fin added to her rudder to keep her leeward outrigger from dipping its toes so often she sails butt clenchingly fine withnot as many visits with the waders!

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2007, 04:31:43 pm »

Just found this site for a very fast Tri with foils....

http://www.hydroptere.com/index.php4?lang=EN

Now that has to be a wild ride .....

Stavros

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:12 pm »

well looking forward to seeing the new boat that welsh Druid had built going today but alas no as someone had forgotten the joining spars at home on his work bench hadn't you Don!!!!!!!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21:33 am »

ive seen that tri on the net before she looks pretty how does she sail?,the size is the main problem normally the smaller ones dont handle too well from what ive seen.the one you have there are the outrigers higher than the main hull or level at the bottom? most tris now have the outrigers set slightly out of the water when the main hull is level to create a rocker effect.looks nice for a trf boat though.
Don how did you manage to forget the spars for the boat lol!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2007, 11:25:22 am »

Just found this site for a very fast Tri with foils....

http://www.hydroptere.com/index.php4?lang=EN

Now that has to be a wild ride .....
thats one fast tri thanks for posting i still like this vid though it has to be the coolest ever!!put it on full screen mode and enjoy it hehe!!
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWINygISxDE&eurl=

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2007, 11:30:35 am »

heres another one of the wakeboarders.and for real butt clenching action watch the second one(yea baby!!)

]]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6JiYwQJ4ho&mode=related&search=

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN7qNMWywSE&mode=related&search=

ofat1

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2007, 07:18:17 pm »

In reply to MartNo1fan
The little tri doesn't handle too well in any gust conditions, prefers constant wind speed, handles enough to give a buzz for a while, but not a serious boat. The outriggers are set slightly raised to give a little rock,but the biggest "good" mod was the fin on the rudder, set @ 7*

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:28 am »

just a lite wind boat then ? are you gonna build a bigger one? if so i have plans of a 4 ft tri.

Stavros

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2007, 04:49:11 pm »

After seeing Welsh Druids trimarang going today I just have got to have one,well wonder if anyone has built one out of 3 marbellhead hulls thinking cap on here Stavros

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2007, 05:10:03 pm »

What ? with three keels and three heavy lead bulbs attached ?  ;D

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2007, 05:12:56 pm »

the thing with tris is a flat deck isnt a great idea as when the float dips under they dont desperse water quick enough resulting in a pitch poll ,far better to use one hull in the centre and build two floats from foam like this one!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2007, 05:16:51 pm »

heres another pic,this one sails in strong winds and the guy who built it says it doesnt ever tip over as the floats are set slightly ahead of the main hull to form a triangle.hes sailed it in 35 mph wind too so it seems to work well.

Stavros

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2007, 10:53:12 pm »

Don even I am not thta silly one bulb 2x hulls martno 1 fan now those piccies have got me thinking,watch this space Don

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2007, 09:40:44 am »

Don even I am not thta silly one bulb 2x hulls martno 1 fan now those piccies have got me thinking,watch this space Don
ill look forward to seeing what you come up with mate,by the way the beams on that boat are flexable so they give a little which stops the boat tipping too ,it doesnt sail on the one hull much he says but it sails very fast ,ive seen a video of it too.he designed it as a fast easy way to try a multi hull.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2007, 10:16:33 am »

Welsh Druid,

When you were travelling well and it was rising to one float the bow seemed to be digging in, on my Cat I have applied a small angled fin for when on one leg and the bow tries to dive this fin acts as an elevator and pushes the nose back up, would a similiar system help your boat in the same way....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2007, 11:00:31 am »

Hi Roy

Like this do you mean ?  I noted that and have increased the volume of the floats above the waterline to see if this has any effect. Unfortunately last Sunday was virtually no wind so could not see if that worked. The Tri ghosts along very nicely though even when the water is glassy calm  :)

Don

Stavros

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2007, 12:13:30 pm »

Well Don  been to shed the Marbletrimarthigny has been born will post photos soon(ssh dont tell that lot up on the lake ;))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2007, 01:13:11 pm »

Stavros dont keep us waiting too long get snapping lol, Don the extra volume will help im sure,id also round the deck off at least at the front 3rd to help her shift water if she does dip under .This should allow her to keep up speed and come through it so to speak ,if you get my drift lol.

Stavros

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2007, 06:16:10 pm »

Right then photos as promised if you all die laughing don't blame me,blame Welsh Druid for this one.Hull and pontoons are in very early development stages final shape to be decided!!!Outriggers are to be built up out of foam then covered with a single layer of grp tissue the outriggers will be designed with a slight upturn at the bow to stop any digging in I HOPE,I don't think the the hull is going to need building up but you will see from the photos that they are at the moment,the jury is out on this one!!Whether it will sail lord only knows but if it does yippee if not well it will be back to the drawing board so to speak.I cant see why not having been studdying my design all day off and on.Mast will be my old 10r and old set of sails from that as well as you will see lads this is all or nothing on this one I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED I will keep you posted so you can all have a good laugh at the heath robinson approach,watch this space so to speak for the next thrilling instalment from the shed ;)And before anyone says it I will keep taking the tablets
3rd photo is of he outrigger resting on the hull

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2007, 06:39:03 pm »

Right then photos as promised if you all die laughing don't blame me,blame Welsh Druid for this one.

I hereby categorically deny ANY responsibility for this one. OK so my Tri impressed everyone at the club with its speed and at least one other as well as Stavros is building a Tri now because of it, but how this  is being built is nothing to do with me.

Thank goodness I am going on holiday for a month just about the time when it may be finished  ;D

Best of luck with it Stavros  ;)

Don B.

Stavros

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2007, 11:21:11 pm »

Well sorry Welsh Druid if you had not built one I dont think i would have had shuch a brainstorm,will have to have a word with the doc about those pills,or should i keep off the wine

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2007, 01:48:23 am »

Hi Roy

Like this do you mean ?  I noted that and have increased the volume of the floats above the waterline to see if this has any effect. Unfortunately last Sunday was virtually no wind so could not see if that worked. The Tri ghosts along very nicely though even when the water is glassy calm  :)

Don

Don,

A similar idea mate but on my yacht they are mounted on the inside of the hull on the bow to prevent diving....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2007, 11:25:59 am »

Roy that sounds like agood idea any chance of some pics of it so we can see exactly what you mean?.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2007, 11:58:31 am »

Roy

I must admit I might not be thinking too clearly this morning but your idea is confusing me a little.

If the plates are mounted at the bow then do they have a positive angle to the flow over them -  thus giving a lifting force ? If so then as the angle decreases due to the bows starting to dive then surely the correcting force will lessen due to the reducing angle of attack ?

If the plate is set at zero  then surely this will give an increasing dive force as the bows go down ?

This assumes of course that the plates are fixed.   I am basing my thinking on my experience with a canard configuration glider. In order to lift the nose the foreplane has to assume a positive angle of attack - the opposite of what will happen with a fixed plate on the bow of a diving hull as it starts to dive.

It just struck me - are they mounted below the waterline (in which case the above comments apply), or they above the waterline and only come into action when they are forced underwater by the bow diving  - in which case I can see how they could then be effective in the early stages of the bow dipping, (but only up to the point when the angle of attack becomes negative).

Don
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.