Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time  (Read 3524 times)

dusty

Time
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »

Hi
I would like to know why 0750pm appears theirs no such time, its 1950hrs. 0750hrs is morning.
Just a question do not mean to be checky.
Dusty

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Time
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:37 pm »

Where does that appear?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:15:19 pm »

Because 1950 hrs
7 pm is the 19th hour of the 24 hr system hence 1900 hrs.
It is used so anyone cannot get mixed up between am and pm clock settings.
If you were a copper for example,and had to write down evidence from someone at a fast pace,
and wrote down 7 o'clock,this could be questioned 7 in morning or 7 at night.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:15:20 pm »

Here      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  :-))

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:20:44 pm »

Yes but what I think Dusty is refering to is correct you can't have 07:50pm , if you look at the date stamp on Dusty's post you will see it says 07:58:43pm  Its this I Think which is being referred to..

Just worked out you said the samething funtimefrankie but not in so many words.. :}

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:30:46 pm »

Ah.... that all depends on your profile settings on the Forum!

Click - Look and Layout Preferences - Time Format: (select setting you want ... I use 'Army time' )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

craftysod

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »

Oh i see now.

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »

Ah.... that all depends on your profile settings on the Forum!

Click - Look and Layout Preferences - Time Format: (select setting you want ... I use 'Army time' )

Blimey it worked as well   :}

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:20:09 am »

So would 9 o'clock hundred hours be Dad's Army time?  %%
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

PMK

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 06:14:40 am »

...and would Friday, 17:00hrs mean Crackerjack time?

Ah, time.
Alas, time is but just an abstract concept, anyhow.
...not to mention the title of the much-played Floyd track by dope-smoking hickies throughout all the galaxies since time was invented..........

Thanks, Martin. I've often wondered how to lose the leading zero... It never occurred to check the Time Format thingy.

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:32:44 am »

PMK is quite right, an abstract concept and only as important as you make it.

There is an interesting TV programme running about time, a little spoilt by over simplification and a too great a love of swirling graphics and time lapse photography.

When I retired 12 years ago I took off my watch and have not worn one since. Of course, I do have to keep appointments etc. and so I consult a clock occasionally but other than that I am not ruled by time. I eat when I feel hungry and sleep when my body tells me I need to. The daylight hours also tend to regulate my living pattern. It drives my poor wife crazy as she feels the need to check the time every few minutes and insists we do things "at the proper time"!

Most French life is regulated by the 24hr. clock but some older folk use a.m. and p.m. What I find annoying is variations across neighbouring countries. I understand the differences across vast land masses but here in Europe it is a little nonsensical.

Roger in France

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:48:41 am »

What I found ammusing is the in most parts of Germany the equivalent of 'half-six' is 17.30 hrs. As this refers to half before six.

Here in China there is only one timezone. In parts of China it is very dark at 8am still. And business hours in different cities varies, but the clock is the same.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 07:50:29 am »

Time/relevance/importance. Agree totally

'A watched pot never boils ' is an idiom that springs to mind.  O0

PMK

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 07:53:03 am »

"It drives my poor wife crazy..."

Ref daylight/living pattern: I'd lost a good woman because of that particular bloke'y trait. After yonks and yonks of 07:00~18:00 grudgery, my treat nowadays is to enjoy Zzzzz when *I* feel sleepy - not because I have to live by the clock.
Women hate it.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 07:57:31 am »

Come and live in China. Here sleeping is part of the culture and sleeping during the day is seen as healthy and positively encouraged.

I unwind by watching TV, in fact if my mind is racing I will watch a bad film and can nod off very quickly. But this is seen as being lazy.

Many Chinese will even list eating and sleeping as their main hobbies.

PMK

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 08:53:39 am »

The Chines don't like long hair, do they? Otherwise I'd be there like a shot because, in comparison, this country just drives its workforce into the ground. Joe British is brainwashed into believing that it's not cool to take an afternoon siesta.
I'd once left the rat-race behind for a couple years, in favour of the slower, more laid-back lifestyle of a totally new job, some far-flung place in middle of nowhere called Bratten Flemming, down Westward Ho! area. In other words, a million miles removed from the usual. An afternoon siesta was part-and-parcel of the job; you were expected to have a rest/sleep before going back to the grindstone for another couple hrs toil. 'Twas sheer bliss...... Much unlike the otherwise usual work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work then die.

Afternoon sleep? Healthier lifestyle?
I'd say.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 09:19:26 am »

What I found amusing is the in most parts of Germany the equivalent of 'half-six' is 17.30 hrs. As this refers to half before six.
Scandinavia describe time in this way as well. Caused a few missed meetings when I first arrived. then started to describe all time as 17.30, 19.00 etc

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 10:45:11 am »

When I've got a big job on, I usually start around 9am ish and go at it throughout the day with frequent tea breaks and occasional Mayhem moments, dinner is around 6-7pm ish then i doze off in the chair for possibly an hour at times. I usualy wake up cussing, claiming I have loads of work to get through and wishing I hadn't dozed off but I always find I am in total 'wideawake club' after that nap and end up working till around 11 pm each night.
Thats the beauty of being your own boss, you don't generally have to be tied to the clock and work as hard or as little as you feel. You know if you have a bad day on day one, you will probably make up for it on day 2 and there is no-one giving you grief or heavy stress over timekeeping.
The only good thing about working to exact times, as in being an employee, is that your life is a little more structured and you know when you shut the door and go home you can forget work totally until the next day, so despite the seeming advantages of being your own boss and timekeeper, work is always in the back of your mind 24-7 and in my case is only fifteen feet away from my house.

I wouldn't change it for the world since despite the workload and pressures it can bring, the satisfaction of achieving ones goals and making people happy far outweighs the time involved and the seeming lack of structured days. 

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 01:17:38 pm »

The 24 hour clock is by far the most convenient way of keeping track of the time of day/night. Easy when you get used to it.
Two examples, one good, one not so much.
When "Resource" was faily new we were detached to go very far North (in winter) to see how the ship (and personnel!) coped with rather extreme conditions during a period of 24hour night periods. Without the 24 hour clock system the only way a "normal" life could be led was by what was on the menu. Assuming the cooks got it right. After a few weeks of this I recall everyone being a bit dis-orientated.
The second was during the Falklands thing when some bright spark decreed that all operations were to be conducted in GMT although we were physically 5 hours behind GMT. Work it out for yourself. Not a good idea!. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 03:57:19 pm »

An interesting case Bryan
Falklands actually has two time zones for half the year.

The islands officially have 'summer time' and the clocks are swung by 1 hour. But this is only observed in the capital, Port Stanley. The rest of the islands' population don't bother to observe 'Stanley Time'

PMK
Nobody in China cares about long hair anymore. Even some old Chinese dudes have ponytails now.
The kids are more into punk type hair now as well.

dusty

Re-Time
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 04:34:12 pm »

Hi
That went down well in answer to all your replys their are only two, going to bed and getting up the rest as said before do,nt matter have a nice day
Dusty

Roger in France

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 05:58:05 pm »

Sheerline, not everyone can close the workplace door and walk away until the next morning.

Many of us will have had jobs where you are often likely to be called out at any time and where the tasks before you demand your attention even when you are supposed to be off duty. Sometimes decisions are so huge that they prey on your mind day and night.

A fascinating example of the opposite of what I have described was Clement Attlee. Despite the huge burdens of office and the implications of much of what he had to decide he could switch off, completely when at home. He never discussed his job with his wife and he never ever reviewed his decisions once he had made them.

A very much underrated man to whom we all owe a huge debt for what he and his Cabinet achieved.

Roger in France

PMK

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 06:50:56 am »

Punk??!
In that case, I think I'll give it a miss. I'd seen enough of the so-called punk era in this country already - I got no desire for any repetition.
Thanks for the offer, but........

Why not take Dusty instead? He sounds like he could do with getting out a bit more, bless 'im.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 02:50:19 pm »

Roger, yes, I know what you mean, I understand not all jobs are the same. In fact the last two jobs I had required me to be on call 24/7 and there were many occasions when Igot called out at ridiculous hours and sometimes didn't get any proper sleep for a couple of days... in one instance, with an aircraft stuck on the ground waiting for it's fuel management system to be repaired, that was a ghoster and a half, I was seeing double by the time I finished the testing. Our main goal was to get the job done, we worried about rest when it was finished. I thoroughly enjoyed getting stuck into emergencies but at the time, when we would leave off and go home, we could switch off until the phone went off next time. Control was in the hands of others
I'm afraid working for myself doesn't permit me to switch off totally but I'm not complaining, it's my choice... and it beats dulling my brain in front of the tv anyday. :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »

That reminds me of a guy I know who worked for XXXX Gas back in the 70s. He used to earn a fortune when on reserve for emergency cover.

There were guys on emergency cover for repairs (perhaps 10-12 in the district) each with thier own patch. If they were already on call, they called the reserve. There was only ever one reserve in the district. So the guys on emergency cover would get maybe one or two call outs a night. The reserve would often get four or five. He worked long hours that week, but his call out and overtime payments paid for his house in 5 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.