Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current drawn by car fan motors - info required  (Read 9310 times)

FullLeatherJacket

Current drawn by car fan motors - info required
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:12:45 am »

Chaps (and any chapesses)
I'm thinking about bringing out a 10A version of our P98, specifically for the MMB900 motor and similar running on 12v. It strikes me that this also might be an excellent option when applied to those car-fan motors much beloved of some of the bretheren, but I have no information about what sort of current they draw under load. Does anyone out there have this sort of data? The more the merrier, please!
FLJ

nick_75au

Re: Current drawn by car fan motors - info required
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:56:37 am »

Hi FLJ,
Car heater fan, unknown make, 2.5 amps unloaded, 14.5 amps stalled about 5 amps at 75% of unloaded RPM at 11.7 volts

Nick

The Antipodean

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »

Unknown make? Know any parts stores that carry those?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:35:00 pm »

Obviously this could vary widely between models, but the ones that have a well dispersed fuse distribution generally are fed by a 10A fuse.  Trouble is, these tend to be second hand by the time we get hold of them, being got from a scrapyard, so figures for new motors might not work for all.  A second hand motor might have come from a quite elderly car (thinking back to a Vauxhall Viscount I once had that had a pair of field wound motors.)
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »

Thanks, Doc. Still trying to find out the most 'popular' types - did someone once mention Astra blower motors? Come on, chaps - don't be shy.
FLJ

sentry

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 02:03:49 pm »

Hi Dave,
Am pretty new to model boat making but think Brian at MMM used to sell these type of motors for tugs a few years back So may be able to help you with the info.
                         Regards, Sentry.

Andy K

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:38:56 am »

The best motors are not the blower motors but the radiator fans motors. The blower motors get lots of use during the life of the car but by contrast the fan motors get very little use. They only come into play when the water temperature rises due to the vehicle being stood still and then they are only on for a short time. The blower motors (especially in my wifes car) get a lot more use cooling the car in summer and heating it up in winter.

Andy K

jabba

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:16:38 pm »

hi there.
i have 2 mmb 900 motors,in a pusher tug which with a 60mm prop,on 12v pulls around 9amp,under load.
thats each motor,
i would only use a minimum of 20 amp esc on each motor,or you may fry the esc.but thats me playing safe.
i have a couple of friends using car heater motors in there tugs,i will try and do a amp check on there's for you.
i also use these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330400694202&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
i have 4 of these which pull around 5amp on the same setup as above.so your new 10amp esc would be perfect,
will definateley buy one of your new 10 amp esc's.

good luck with the new esc.

jabba.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:35 pm »

Car radiator fan motors are, in my experience, considerably 'hotter' than heater blower motors (no pun intended), so I would advise caution unless you need that amount of power, else you may end up with a current hog in your boat. Even though the blower motors get more use, they usually have many years left of life in them as they're quite heavily engineered.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:17:05 pm »

And then, of course, there are window winder motors....just when the oil on the troubled water starts to work, someone comes along with a match....

nick_75au

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 03:21:41 am »

I have a pancake radiator fan motor that under its own load draws 7.5 amps, its a 10 inch model from a 1994 Ford Laser 1.6 litre car, No no load test sorry.

Nick

The Antipodean

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 06:56:44 pm »

The nasty beast of a GM fan motor I have here for one of my boats draws 6.83A unloaded, not prepared to test it loaded as it is USD$22.50 for replacement fuses.
Did find out while I was replacing the fuse from the first attempt I can get 12V  7AH gel cells for USD$14 each from the same place.

nick_75au

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 06:23:36 am »

What sort of fuse cost's $22, wow.
Nick

andyn

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »

My Ford motor draws around and amp and a half.

Go down your local cheapy store for fuses, I got 10 fuses, two pairs of each different rating for £1.

The Antipodean

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »

What sort of fuse cost's $22, wow.
Nick

The kind of fuse that goes in a $400 Fluke Multimeter that is a loaner from a friend.  They use the 11A Buss fuses that are rated at 11A/1000V and the replacements are actually a crossmatch to a cheaper brand.
Harsh lesson in electronics and I would like to thank FLJ for the advice he gives, not only is he a very knowledgable chap, he is very generous with that knowledge.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 09:45:56 pm »

The down and dirty method of determining current without a meter is to get one of the multi packs of car type fuses (49P in a Poundstretcher), start at the lowest value and gradually work up.  When you get to te value that doesn't blow, you know the current the motor wants at that voltage.

The long Build

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 01:17:14 pm »

The F.I.L recently was running a boat with a car fan motor and it kept blowing the 10amp fuse, However someone suggested at the pond if it keeps blowing the fuse put in a higher 1 so he did a 15amp  %%  <:( ( I was not there and would so have advised against it, as it must have been blowing for a reason !!) This then resulted in a catastyrophic failure on the Mtronics 15 ESC. (Anybody want some carbon .)

I now have the motor and when testing it with out load on the 10 setting on the Meter it is only showing about 0.4 , when trying to stop the motor by hand it registers 0.9 ish so why should this blow the fuse ?.  Am I reading it wrong and it is actually 9 amps ?.

Larry

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 02:46:48 pm »

i have just done a test on a smiths type car  blower motor ( bought brand new from model motors direct some many years ago) - ratings are off load 1.2 amps, on load 6.8 amps, stall current is  peaking around the 18 amps mark......... %%
all in all its just another brick in the wall......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.