Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: graupner schottel drives help  (Read 1973 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
graupner schottel drives help
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:18:21 pm »

Ok i have a pair of these ,the big ones , and i plan to fit them in a new tug , dont know what yet.
The problem is which end comes off so i can fit them in a boat , top or bottom ?.
I will probably have to strip them any way to grease them up as they are new and never been in the water.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

towtug

Re: graupner schottel drives help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:14:37 pm »

Basically you have to remove the top so that you can withdraw the bottom. %%
Circlip on top gear and the flat washer underneath to be removed first, then remove the top gear wheel. This gives access to the sintered bronze bush in the lower gear wheel. Remove the bush carefully, usually need to use pliers to grip it >>:-(. This allows removal of the lower gear wheel. The support tube for the drive shaft can now be removed O0. The support tube outer housing can now be mounted in the hull from the inside on a bed of sealant and bolted firmly to the hull. I have used aluminium doubling plates inside the hull on both my builds as the forces on the hull can be quite severe if a working tug.
Before refitting the support tube for the drive shaft is a good time to dismantle the lower gear box and grease it well. Take note of the means of adjusting the clearance will make reassembling and setting it up easier.

Caution, if you have two units do one at a time as the washer/s under the circlip are matched to the unit and not a standard fitting.

If they are new units run them in slowly and note that after several hours running the units will swivel easier, though not on full power, always ease off the power before rotating them

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 05:47:04 pm »

thankyou i did think that might be the way to do it but wanted the word before i began .
I have had the circlip off and the washer but did not go any further as the top cog seemed tight , is it on a pin or something to prevent slip . off to the shed now  :-)) .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

towtug

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »

Depending on the age of the unit, the earlier ones have drive faces and are usually a good fit, the later ones have a pin into the shaft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.