Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan Covers  (Read 3344 times)

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
Caravan Covers
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »

Please can any of you caravaners out there help me? I have just purchased a new (to me) caravan and have been offered a caravan cover. What are your thoughts on these, good or bad? Any useful comments about the covers would be appreciated.
Alan

swordfish fairey

Re: Caravan Covers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »

Very good Alan, but make sure you have a moisture trap in the caravan if you are going to leave it covered for a while.Also make sure that the cover is "Breathable" not just a plastic one that may give you problems We have had our caravan covered for 5 years worth of winters without any condensation problems. We use a moisture trap bought from Aldi and one pack lasts around 4-5 months.  Hope this helps......Smudge..... :-))

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:33:44 pm »

Thanks Smudge, I have until this winter had a dehumidifier in my caravans running 24/7 and draining out of the shower tray, but the unit burnt out last spring and I did not get a replacement. What to do next? new dehumidifier or cover or both?
Alan

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:25:48 pm »

Yes, I agree. You must have very substantial air circulation both inside the 'van and under the cover.

The other point that is important is to ensure that the cover does not move or flap as otherwise you will have rub marks on the 'van.

I must tell you however, that I rejected the use of covers for all my 'vans. If I could not rent undercover storage on an adjacent farm (roof over and three sides, the last side open to the air) I gave the 'van a good coat of polish and left it exposed. Also, avoid proximity to trees. I would also put some mouse poison in the 'van. Drain down the refrigerator and the heating system, make sure any storage tanks are drained and leave all drain taps open and unplugged. Rinse all drains with a strong disinfectant as a final measure.

Roger in France

chugbug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:30 pm »

:-))Hi Alan,we leave several bowls of salt in our van over winter and they work a treat,cheap and easy to replace,
                                                                                                                                                             Dave Gibson.

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 04:48:35 pm »

Not sure I can agree with leaving salt exposed in a 'van for long periods because it can possibly produce a corrosive atmosphere as temperature and humidity fluctuate.

Roger in France

chugbug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 04:54:06 pm »

It has worked for ten years in our van with no detrimental effect.Tip was given to me by an old caravaner.
                                                                                                                                                   Dave Gibson.                                                                                           

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 05:03:17 pm »

I would also put some mouse poison in the 'van.

Roger in France

Don't you end up with the dear departed hidden away in some remote corner?

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:43 pm »

Thanks guys, I am reading all of your replies with great interest. Roger, you have the best solution, but I have not found an open fronted roofed shelter during the ten years I have had a caravan.
I do not have a problem with trees nearby, so no worries there. The polishing of the van before winter is a well worth doing. I will have to check if the cover offered to me is the breathable type.
Please keep your replies coming, it may also help others.
Alan

Patternmaker

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 06:04:03 pm »

I have used a caravan cover for many years, providing you cover sharp edges such as ends of awning rails with foam strips usually supplied with
the cover, good quality covers will last many years. I wash and polish the caravan before fitting the cover.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:01 pm »

I use a cover on my caravan all the time, as I have to leave it out in the open. The main reason for the cover is protection from hail during the storm season. Obviously, the climate here is quite different from that in the UK, the temperatures are much higher in summer, and our winters are considerably milder. The biggest problem we have with covers is ultra violet light damage to the material, which eventually will cause it to disintegrate. I have had my cover for 6 years now, and it's just starting to show signs of deterioration but, hopefully, it will last a while longer. As Patternmaker pointed out, it is important to cover any sharp edges which, if left unprotected, will rub through the material.

Peter.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:51 pm »

I use dishwasher salt in the van over the winter months, I have a container in the toilet, main area, and under the sink (with a big note to remind me where I have put them all) It does keep the damp out. I don't have a cover but wish I had, and after 4 years of owning my van I'm getting fed up with a major wash and brush up (on the van  :-)) after the winter months in storage in the open (anyone know of storage in the surrey /sussex area as mine's stored 80 miles away)  :-))
Steamed up all the time

DARLEK1

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 11:23:14 pm »

I just want to kill the inventer of them caravan thingys, always holding up traffic and causing accidents, they should be BANNED!
 If you live in a house, why have a mobile one? Just get a room or a Tent?
 Paul... :-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 05:55:26 am »

Don't come to Australia then Paul, there are tens of thousands of caravans on the roads, and over 50 manufacturers of "RVs", as the Americans call them. In the winter, it seems that half the population of Victoria (well, those that are retired) migrate north to Queensland to escape the cold. They, and other caravanners of similar age, are called the "Grey Nomads", and I'm one of them, even though I don't live in Victoria  :-)

I don't like tents, and rooms are too unsociable. My caravan has many of the comforts of home, including cold beer in the fridge when I stop after a hard day's travel and, no, I don't hold the traffic up, I am capable of travelling at or near the speed limit even when towing my van.

It's a great life, and I wouldn't want to do anything else when we travel.

Two photos of my outfit, one in travelling mode, and the other set up in a caravan park.

Peter.

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 08:21:07 am »

I just want to kill the inventer of them caravan thingys, always holding up traffic and causing accidents, they should be BANNED!
 If you live in a house, why have a mobile one? Just get a room or a Tent?
 Paul... :-)

The percentage of accidents on UK roads that are caused by caravans is very small Paul.

I have never used a cover, I use Fenwicks cleaner and the bobby dazzler polish giving the caravan and good wash ever time it goes any in to winter storage, with moisture traps placed in the van when in storage. Never had any problems.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 01:33:34 pm »

When I started this thread I asked for sensible comments, this was to try and avoid the stupidity of people like DARKEK1. Would the rest of you please continue in the way all other messages have been posted as I am finding them useful.
Thanks
Alan

DARLEK1

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »

Relax dude, I was only messing, thats why I stuck a smiley on the end of it.
Paul... %)

omra85

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 05:02:17 pm »

Quote from my "speech" at my recent retirement do -

"I have bought a caravan and a Chelsea Tractor which is capable of maintaining a constant 20 miles per hour all day.
We will explore the highways and byeways of England, where I will be able to make many new friends as drivers wave to me when they eventually overtake".

Went down well (also the other bit about the coach groups at major attractions ...)

You get a cameraderie on sites that you would never get in any hotel.

BTW  I don't use a cover, which is why I spend 2 days cleaning it every Spring (hmmmm...)

Danny

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 09:25:22 pm »

"Happy Slappy Smiley Shed Draggers" my brother calls us  O0

Oh----- wonder if I can fit a lathe in  :}
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.