Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum, returnng to model boats  (Read 1237 times)

lesmond

New to the forum, returnng to model boats
« on: January 31, 2010, 04:22:01 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and still poking around looking at previous posts.

I'm 42, from Belfast, and am coming back to model boats after an absence of a few years due to work commitments. (I'm still very busy, thankfully, and need to do something other than work all the time). I haven't been to the local pond for about four years or so. As well as boats, I like to fiddle with On30 & Gn15 railways. I'm also about to convert a Bakelite GEC radio (not working) into a media centre PC, because I can (a recurring theme).

I've built & part built a few boats, the first was the Yellow Peril, which is a toy boat I played with in the bath as a kid, fitted with a 2 channel radio, Meccano running gear and a reverser made out of relays. No pretence at any kind of a model, but it worked well, cost almost nothing (another recurring theme!) and sailed really well.

I converted a Maplins (can't remember the name) speedboat with a bigger motor, propeller and a fairly brutal on / off "speed" control The motor is water cooled using a scoop made from the cooling pipe off a dead fridge. It runs at ludicrous speed for about 4 minutes, and has a big Wiley Coyote head fitted to the drivers body with a woodscrew. This one is known as the Acme Powerboat.

I've also an HMS Sheffield & an American harbour tug built from Model Boats plans. The tug has sound and lights, and needs a coat of pain and generally finished off. the cruiser hull is painted, and I've sailed it, but the decks and superstructure need finished off.  There's a dynamic diving submarine too, bought from a fellow sailer, but I haven't touched it as yet.

That's me, such as it is. I never have enough time, and still work a lot, so please forgive me in advance if I'm late in posting or replying.

All the best for now.

Les

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: New to the forum, returnng to model boats
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:37:08 pm »

Welcome to our global nut house Les.

Anything you need to know just ask and you will receive numerous different answers.

Nice place to go mad anyway. They are still trying to find a cure.

Mayhem is an addiction you know.  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:49:26 pm »

DD ----Have you been talking to yourself in the mirror again?

Welcome to the mad house Les ......You'll find the most helpfull bunch of people you've ever met here  :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:36 am »

Welcome aboard Les
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

lesmond

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »

Thanks for the warm welcome - next job is to tidy up my "workshop" and see what is where...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.