Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identification.........Yacht Model  (Read 2164 times)

Lochen

Identification.........Yacht Model
« on: January 31, 2010, 08:19:09 pm »

Hi everyone.

At the same time as I was given a 1/12 scale model of an RN Steam Pinnace (subject of thread in 'Steam'), now being restored  :-))

I was given a Yacht by the same chap. This is in pretty good condition and aside from a bit of paint below the waterline and a new fore/back stay and set of shrouds (missing), she will sail.

I took her to the local boating lake today and found out she has 'Braine' steering..................the rest is a mystery. I dipper her in the water just to wet her bum and she sits with about 1.5 inches of freeboard midships

Can anyone identify her please, type (if any), likely age.

Many thanks in anticipation

Length OA 40''
Beam 8''
Lead moulded keel
Build - Plank on frame, although rather interestingly the deck planks are 'drawn on'

Pictures

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Identification.........Yacht Model
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:25:42 pm »

Hi,
I would ask the Model Yachting association. If you need a contact Greame Reeves would be a good start.
good luck
ro88o0

Lochen

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:35:17 pm »

Thanks Ro880

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 06:41:06 pm »

Your best bet is Russell Potts & you can contact him via the Vintage Model Yacht Group website.

http://www.vmyg.org.uk

Have a look through the site & you'll probably find something similar.

Mark.

Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Lochen

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:48:13 pm »

Your best bet is Russell Potts & you can contact him via the Vintage Model Yacht Group website.

http://www.vmyg.org.uk

Have a look through the site & you'll probably find something similar.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, I've done that, what a helpful man Russell is. Appears to be a reduced size Bill Daniels 'Prospero' drawn in 1913 (originally a 60'' model). Build year is yet to be established, anywhere between 1920 (because of the mast slider and Braine gear used) and 1980 (unlikely) due to the design still being around at that time.
It doesnt appear to have a ply deck as first thought but is planked underneath the veneer that has the deck planks drawn on. Russell states that if it is an early model, it probably started life as a gaffer but was converted.

The vintage club is visiting my area in April so Russell and his club members can cast their expert eyes over it. It will remain untouched until then.

Thanks for the help chaps

Barry

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.