Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Marine models Tug  (Read 8818 times)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Mobile Marine models Tug
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:08 am »

I am building a topic on my Mobile Marine Models tug, based on the Nangee hull, if i mention it on another forum or thread in this forum I have questions to answer so it is just as easy to make a thread about it and then quote the link.
The hull is the Nangee 28 inches by 9  1/8 inches beam, powered by a Bosch electric motor driving a 70mm four bladed screw in a 75mm kort nozzle. The battery pack is two 12volt 3amp/hr batteries in series giving 6 amp/hr.
I started this build about 5 years ago, it is completed, but you allways add bits, or weather a bit so most models remain ongoing.

The boat is single screw, so that I can get a decent battery capacity in her, the single screw probabbly isn't a lot less powerful than twin screw, because I would have had to fit two smaller props and nozzles, and I wouldn't be able to fit two batteries because the motors are quite heavy, but very efficient.

Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mobile Marine models Tug
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:26:17 am »

The steering gear and prop shaft and nozzle were fitted first followed by the aft deck and then fore deck, there is a step up amidships, which made the deck easy to fit in two parts..

I have since fitted a shorter prop shaft and moved the engine aft about 3 inches. I like to use the available displacemnt in my hulls for features or battery capacity, lead ballast is a waste of space and carrying capacity, unless you have a very large hull, the hull needed weight aft. and i needed space forward.

The accomadation and wheelhouse followed.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:08:46 pm »

Vents were cut in the aft bulkhead of the accomadtion block because I wanted to fit a speaker behind for the engine sound system

the wheelhouse was fitted out with 'furniture' control panels, plotter echo sounder and charts.

the foredeck showing winch for both towing and the anchor.

I did trials before completing the boat, the tug in the background is also mine

The crane on the cranebarge was bought for less than a tenner in a toy shop, it was part of a mobile crane

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:16:46 pm »

The stern gear, all very sturdy

I allways fit a skeg under the rudder or korts on my boats, just to save them in a knochk, they are in a vulnerable position.

Another view alongside the barge

A close up of the wheelhouse interior, I have since fitted a 'skipper' in here

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »

The aft deck showiing the crane, oil drumsand various other pafinallia of towing and tugs.

Close up of the crane, this is the only time i kept a check on how long to build something, it was about 4hours to build this

Two barges, it is easier for transport like this, they can be rigged for pushing, pulling, towing alongside and hip tows each one has three house bricks for ballast, ideally for tug towing I could do with a third, but one day I may get around to building a 'ship'.

I also fitted a JJC smoke generator, which could be programmed for exhaust smoke as from a diesel engine or with steam as for a steam engine, but it stopped working for some reason, anybody know how to fix them?

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 05:35:57 pm »

A comment on the power supply: 2 x 12v 3Ahr in series will give you 24v at 3Ahr.   Did you mean in parallel?  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:42:51 pm »

Here are a few pictures of the boat 5 years old, and you could say completed, I haven't done anything new for about 12 months.

You can just see the 'engineer' in the bottom right of the next photo.

The 'skipper' in the wheelhouse

sailorboy61

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 05:18:54 pm »

"I allways fit a skeg under the rudder or korts on my boats, just to save them in a knochk, they are in a vulnerable position".

I was wondering whether a skeg was needed or not, this seems like a good reason that hadn't occurred to me!

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:30:44 pm »

A skeg isn't needed, but it really does save the boat, it only takes a slide in the car or for you to catch the bottom of the rudder or the kort and its either a bent rudder shaft or possible hole in the boat if it all rips out.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.