Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1960s royal navy grey  (Read 3747 times)

pugwash

1960s royal navy grey
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:49:59 am »

getting to the serious part now preparing to commence painting - last time I used a Halfords ford ceramic blue - it wasnt to bad a match but surprisingly
it was a bit tooo blue - now my local branch doesnt even stock it.
I am about to buy an airbrush and would like to stick with acrylic paint rather than cellulose any suggestions where to get the paint and what
would be the most authentic warship grey - For you experts it is a destroyer not a capital ship - not sure whether they had a different colour
as I always served on small ships
I gather Mr stavros is probably the person to advise me as the best type of paint to use - I am going to buy a bog standard airbrush starter kit
from Expotools unless someone tells me otherwise

thanks Pugwash

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1960s royal navy grey
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:32:08 pm »

BS 381c/676 light weatherwork grey. www.johnrhaynes.com

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09:19 am »

John,  Ive had a look on your website and cant find any reference to paint. please enlighten my stupidity -
is the BS number relating to british standard and if it does where do you  order it

pugwash

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:48:57 am »

When I was building a type 21 and 42 for the NMM I had compucolour make me a litre of this paint in an eggshell finish . Compucolour is now called Precision Paints and come out of Cheltenham. They will make you the paint to the British Standard [ BS ] Or you could use a near match , Humbrol 127
I use an eggshell [ satin ] as the dead look of matt doesn't work well on a model
These paints are enamel and I use this type with a Badger 200 airbrush . Never let me down in over 30 years of full-time building

snowwolflair

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:14 am »

Fleetscale now do an RN grey which looks correct on a model :-))

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:55:43 pm »

Thanks very much for the paint suppliers I will give them a try tomorrow and see how i get on

- will also look at  that humbrol colour

Pugwash
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.