Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fogged clear plastic  (Read 2404 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Fogged clear plastic
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:35:03 pm »

I have just cut out a set of clear plastic windows (standard stuff, blue film each side for protection) one side I removed the blue film and spray mounted (3M Spray Mount) photocopy paper with the image shape of the window onto the plastic.
Cut and shape, remove blue film, remove paper, clean off residual adhesive with petrol, should be job done, but I have a strange frost like image. Tried thinners, tried soap and water, tried meths all to no avail, any thoughts please.

Colin
Colin

kiwi

Re: Fogged clear plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:21:40 pm »

Hi,
if all else fails, try a coat of Johnsons "KLEER" floor polish. Its a transparent liquid acrylic and used by plastic model aircraft modellers. Is very thin and applied with a brush can give good results.
There is a thread on 'scale models forum' re the use off.
cheers
kiwi

andyn

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:28 pm »

Johnsons Klear only brings a shine to whatever it touches, so you'll end up with very shiney but fogged windows. I find that foam superglue accelerator seems to get rid of glue fog, also Revell Aqua Color airbrush cleaner will get rid of just about anything (including cured paint so be careful).

seralph

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:29:48 pm »

Johnsons "KLEER  ok2
Used this a few times on my parade shoes in my forces days for a while untill a warrant officer noticed it  >>:-( and put a nice groove down the toes of my shoes with his yard stick.  >:-o

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:42:23 am »

Just a thought
The fogging may have been caused by the petrol.
Maybe not.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

andygh

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 01:35:11 am »

Johnsons "KLEER
Used this a few times on my parade shoes in my forces days for a while untill a warrant officer noticed it  Tickoff and put a nice groove down the toes of my shoes with his yard stick.

Hey, me too. We got the painters to spray our toe caps, they were gleaming. When we got out into the sunshine they looked bright blue  :o, seems they paint guns weren't as clean as we thought  {-). SWO wasn't impressed

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:42:38 am »

Colin

It's got to be worth finding out what it was that caused the fogging - for future reference.
I recently found that the vapour from cyano-acrylic glue caused such fogging (although in my case it didn't matter).

Mike

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:39 pm »

Thanks all,
I gave up eventually and started again, this time successfully. I used a white pva (School Glue) and after cutting and shaping, dropped them in a bowl of water, ten minutes and the paper slid off, and then just rubbed the wet glue off with a tissue, perfect and the way I shall use in future.

Colin
Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:41:41 pm »

Chances are that the fogging was caused by the evaporant used in the "Spray Mount" adhesive. For polishing the plastic, if you know what is a solvent for the plastic concerned, you could try solvent polishing.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.