Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First timer  (Read 1705 times)

Steam Head

First timer
« on: December 20, 2009, 01:51:13 pm »

Well, here goes, this is a first for me. I hope I don't make too much of an idiot of myself.:embarrassed:

I'm going to need a lot of help from the knowledgeable, but for starters, I suppose I should tell you what I'm into. Almost exclusively STEAM, did you get that by my handle?  :} I like most things modelling, and as I said, especially if it's steam powered. Boating wise, I'm particularly interested in Tugs, and Stern Wheelers. I'm not much interested in Fast Electric, but, hey, whatever floats you boat, eh? (Sorry.)
Having been laid up for quite a while, and not allowed to lift, I have had to abandon my Traction Engines, and other stationary engines and boilers etc., for the time being, and, as I can't "just sit there", I bought a couple of electric Hovercraft Kits, and they kept me off the streets for a while.

I'm about to embark on building the Imara, talk about jumping in the deep end? %)  I know the best part of not much about electronics, but I got the Hovercraft wired OK, which was very encouraging. I recently bought some sound effects kits from the local electronics store (Jaycar), and successfully completed those, so, maybe there's hope.  :-))  I'm not bad with a gas torch, and medium on a lathe, and mill, have a good eye for detail, and have the Patience of Job, as the saying goes, but can't stand waiting.

So that's about who I am, model wise, and way on the wrong side of 50 years..

Pleased to meet you guys, and thanks for having me on board.

Steam Head.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: First timer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 02:44:44 pm »

Steam Head, I am not into steam, would rather have an electric shock than get burnt, however welcome to Mayhem.   I didn`t really want them to hear, but the members are a great lot.   By the way, I can give you about two score years.  Once again,  Welcome.  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »

Welcome aboard
There are plenty of steamies on here
Is Imara going to be steam or sparkie?
You will always find an answer to your
questions on Mayhem

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Steam Head

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:45:36 am »

Hi fellas, I really appreciate the kind words.

I'll try to answer in order, but, until I get used to the software, and the way things work around here, I may muck up, if I do, please pardon me, don't "Keel Haul" me.

Firstly, Chronologically, I'm 66 in Feb, in my outlook, mind etc.,I'm 25, an old Hippy. Wow, wasn't 1969 a great year?

Secondly, I have only one burn, and that wasn't so bad, but it was on the under side of the arm, so the scar remains.

The steam side of things I have under control, it's the pesky little things that race up and down inside wires that have me somewhat mystified.

Yep, the Imara will be steam, hopefully twin boilers, twin engines and all, as it's a twin prop set-up. That should look pretty good I reckon, and be both practical and powerful, (without getting up and planing). I'm undecided the exact set-up as yet, but, I have quite a few options sitting around looking for a hull. For example, I have 2 Stuart 3500 boilers in as new condition, and a pigeon pair of Stuart Compound Engines, contra rotating at the moment, complete with oilers and feed-water pumps, and all the stuff. I have a couple of identical Hemmens boilers too, they would also fit nicely. Maybe my Scotch Return, and a couple of PM-R V Twins. I reckon that would work really well. As stated, I don't want to plane after all, just tick along. I have a bit of a swag of Steam engines I have collected over the years, so maybe one or more of those.

I have tried countless combinations in the bare hull, but still the exact one eludes me. Maybe I should have a different one each time I steam her up, but wait ..... I'm a bit ahead of myself here. :embarrassed:

I'll keep you posted on all phases of completion. %%

Regards, and compliments of the Season to all.

Steam Head.

Steam Head

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:55:51 am »

Season's Greetings to all.

Steam.

:-)) ok2 ;) :-) :D O0 {-) :kiss:

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 09:06:47 am »

Welcome aboard Steam head. As has been said, a lot of steamies on here.

There does seem to be a resurgence of interest in steam generally.
Ah if only I had more money.

I am not into electrics either, being into scale/historic sail. I could be tempted over to the dark side (coal bunker) though.  %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 07:23:58 pm »

Come over and join us TigerTiger...................(I'm sure I nearly had you when you were last over in the UK, next time eh !) 

And of course welcome Steam Head where information on model boats is greater than on wikepedia

(am I allowed to get away with that statement)   ok2
Steamed up all the time

Steam Head

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:43:21 am »

Thanks for the welcome.

I get lost on fora (I think that's the plural  :embarrassed:), so that's why I haven't replied earlier.

This forum is massive isn't it. Plus, It's been over 40°C here on many occasions since Christmas, and close to it on many more days. That keeps me out of the study, and away from the computer.  {:-{ <:(

Best wishes.
Steam Head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.