Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound unit HELP PLEASE!!  (Read 2990 times)

d-jnana

• Full Mayhemer
sound unit HELP PLEASE!!
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:36:35 pm »

Hi guys, sorry and girls (there must be some female  model boat builders). The question I have is this.
I need a good sound unit to produce the sound of a pair of Gardener 6LX diesels. These are low revving, grunty, origionally built for buses and flat out at about 1800 RPM. The installation is a 48 inch (1/12th) Solent class lifeboat.
Can anybody please recommend a good sound unit producing the right diesel rumble? These engines have a very distinctive noise at flat chat, and tick over at as little as 450 rpm (depending on usage).

Glyn Cleaver

Re: sound unit HELP PLEASE!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:58:51 pm »

Hi There, have a look at this web page and ask the question. They may be able to help you.
http://www.jjc-electronics.com/Propenginesounds.html
Cheers Glyn  :D

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 09:01:18 pm »

I would give Jim a ring at JJC.

He is always improving his range of "Sounds Amazing" products so if he doesn't have one at this moment he may have one in the pipeline.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

d-jnana

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:04:09 pm »

Thanks guys, Good starting point.

Hey bunkerbarge, I'm not sure of the spelling but my favourite line from Cargos was always

"Quinquireme of Ninerva"

Though the verse you quote from is my favourite verse. It surely needs to imortalised in a diorama.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:30:00 pm »

Great poem, Cargoes. It's the clever use of alliteration which gives it its punch - "Salt caked Smoke Stack".

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:46:31 am »

"Cargoes" was a favourite poem of my Dad and so consequently also my Mum.

My Dad's first trip to sea in the early fifties was for 18 months and then he had to find a vessel coming back to the UK so I can relate to his life in the words. One of the main reasons why I chose to make the Ben Ain by Mountfleet models was that he could well have come across this ship in his travels out of Manchester so it has a special relevence to me.

Now I work as a Chief Engineer on a large Cruise ship out of Florida but I think it is tremendously important to remember my roots in the British Merchant Navy.  I wouldn't be here if my Dad hadn't dragged me off to college in Liverpool in 1975 and asked his old freinds at Manchester Liners to feed me for four years!!

Try saying "Cargoes" out loud sometime, maybe when you are on your own!  It is a very difficult poem to articulate properly but well worth the effort.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 05:15:58 pm »

On a point of information, Niniveh is where the quinquireme's from. (Ending a sentence with a preposition? What am I a doing of.)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:27:46 am »

Hey Bunker,

Was it Riversdale college you went to? I was there from '72 to' 74, had a great time.

A few of my classmates were in Manny liners as well.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 09:13:19 am »

Hey Bunker,

Was it Riversdale college you went to? I was there from '72 to' 74, had a great time.

A few of my classmates were in Manny liners as well.

Ian

Just missed you Ian, I was there from '75 to '79.  In the days when we had a Merchant Navy, Manchester liners had 13 ships and you could drive down the dock road in Liverpool and name the different companies by the bows sticking over the dock wall.

Best four years of my life.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 04:01:18 pm »

I had a great time there, stayed in Kinsman House for the first year, frequented the pub up the road (kinsman I think) even though I was only 16!!

Second year I had a flat in island road, shared with 2 Manny liners eng apprentices.

I was with BP, they had over 100 ships at that time, down to about 35 when I hung up the sea boots in 1982.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 05:10:06 pm »

Back to the thread?
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 07:38:38 pm »

I think the original question was answered so there isn't much to get back to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.