Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sydney ferry South Steyne  (Read 4111 times)

south steyne

Sydney ferry South Steyne
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:03 am »

Hi everyone thought you might be interested in my current build, it is a 1/48th scale working live steam model of Sydney Manly ferry South Steyne which makes her almost 5 feet long.
I had no real plans so took many photographs she is plank on frame with g r p overlay inside and out also she is a bit deeper in draught and broader in the beam to allow for ballast and stability.
Boiler is a 4”dia x 8” copper gas fired return tube design, also scratch built except for the silver soldering, done by one more skilled than me.
Engine is a twin cylinder slide valve which I built from scrap bits ½ inch x ¾ in stroke.
I have about 90% completed and have tried the hull on the water and after about six goes getting better its got a bow wave now, live steam is a challenge as it can work great at home but a totally different story on the water.
I have two model boats both scratch built and the originals both were built in bonnie Scotland where I spent my younger days in Edinburgh and on coming to Aus spent many a happy afternoon on the South Steyne on her Sunday ocean cruises to the Hawkesbury River .
Cheers
John

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sydney ferry South Steyne
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:34 pm »

Very nice, south steyne

Thanks for showing us.  Steyne-powered too :}

andrew

south steyne

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:42:03 am »

Thanks Andrew I will post more pix as I go
John

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:14:24 am »

Great model, John  :-)) I look forward to seeing some more shots of her.

Here's a photo I took of the full size one on my last trip to Sydney, in November 2009.

Peter.

MichaelK

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:54:28 am »

Brilliant!,
I used to come home from work on that ferry.
Mick
 ;)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13:30 pm »

South Steyne has some local history to our area. It was refitted in 1987 at the Riley's Hill slipway, in the Richmond River, upstream from Ballina, and became something of a local attraction in its time here. Quite a crowd gathered at the mouth of the river to watch her cross the bar.

Peter.

south steyne

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:40:40 am »

Thanks for the info Peter my build is from the period late sixties , she has quite a few changes done since then  mostly i think on the promenade decks which have been filled in so I preferred the earlier version , will post some new pics on progress soon
cheers
John

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:31 am »

I remember her well from her working days in Sydney, having travelled on her a number of times when I lived there, and later, too. There's been quite a bit of alteration from her original condition to her current form as a floating restaurant and function centre as well, John. It will be good to see some more pics of your model.

For those who don't know, South Steyne was built by Robb's of Leith, Scotland in 1938, with a steam engine built by Harland and Wolff of Belfast. She left the UK on 7th July 1938 and sailed the 22000km to Sydney under her own steam, arriving on 19th September 1938.

She made the crossing from Circular Quay, in the Sydney CBD, to Manly over 100,000 times, carrying more than 92 million passengers during her 36 years of service. Quite an impressive record.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 09:21:35 am »

Just a few images of South Steyne..........the first snap is amazing for anyone [that/who]...... has never sailed on Sydney harbour....... :-)) {-) {-) {-)...we don't get sea sick on our way to work......... %% Derek

PS...... I am not sure on the gramatical bit here ..... :embarrassed: ....but as proud people. {-) {-) {-) we are always prepared to learn from others with a higher interlect..... :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

south steyne

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:31:50 am »

What a great shot and that looks like a great book you have there what is it called?
cheers
John :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:46:14 am »

John.....we will have to catch up one day .....considering we are both in Wollongong & both with a model steam engined vessel.........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

south steyne

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 11:00:20 am »

Thanks guys for the great photos and infoI keep learning more about this old girl every day so heres a few more pix still a ways to go yet but she runs.
Managed to snag a copy of the book on the bay derek should bre a good read.
Cheers
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.