Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Birtley' collier - Information and ideally lines needed...  (Read 1784 times)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
'Birtley' collier - Information and ideally lines needed...
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:35:30 pm »

Hi,

I've been asked to model the Birtley - a 1920s collier of the Burnett Steamship Company, Newcastle-upon-Tyne - by someone whose grandfather used to captain her.

A google shows that there were three Birtleys but gives no lines or even a picture of any of the ships. All were... "built by Wood, Skinner & Co for the Burnett Steamship Co. Ltd. The three BIRTLEYS were all destined to be lost along the East Coast but provided some colourful history along the way. The first BIRTLEY, built in 1900, ran ashore along Flamborough Head in November of 1905 and became a total loss there. The second BIRTLEY, built in 1906, was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat off Filey Bay in 1918 with the loss of all hands. The third BIRTLEY, built in 1923, first ran aground at Whitburn in 1930 but was refloated, then again in 1941, she was driven ashore on the long sands at Tynemouth and her crew rescued by the Tynemouth Lifeboat. She was once more refloated and finally, whilst on passage from London to the Tyne, she sank in the Wash Approaches after detonating a German laid mine."

I'm guessing that the third one is the one I want, but more data about any of them would be interesting. The third Birtley was described as:

"The "Birtley," official number 145,523, is a steel screw steamship built at Bill Quay-on-Tyne, in the year 1923, by Messrs. Wood, Skinner & Co., Ltd., and is of the following dimensions:-length 334.3 ft., breadth 44.6 ft., and depth in hold 21.6 ft. She is schooner-rigged, and fitted with one triple expansion direct acting engine of 337 nominal horse power, constructed by the North Eastern Marine Engineering Company. Limited, of Wallsend-on-Tyne, in the year 1923. She is of 2873.42 gross and 1695.50 net registered tonnage, and owned by the Burnett Steamship Company, Limited, of Milburn House, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, her registered managers being Messrs. John Walter Burnett and Percy Emmerson Nicholson of Newcastle-upon-Tyne."

so even if I can't find the Birtley lines, some data about similar colliers of the same size would probably also be useful.

This ought to tax the libraries of a few of you...!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.