Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay springer tug  (Read 4901 times)

chris holley

Ebay springer tug
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:33:32 pm »

Just bought a tug last weekend from ebay, the guy had built it from plans. Single drive motor runs with 2x 6v batts, run it once an was slow i no there not fast but it was slow. Sorry have no idea what motor it is but looks like a 540 stock motor ???. I might up grade it any one no what i should but in it i normal run fast elecric so there no good but something torque an fast maybe?

also any idea the scale its 18inc long-8inc wide-14inc tall?

thanks chris

des321

Re: Ebay springer tug
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:03 pm »

I just built a Springer to the same dimensions using a 540 motor and it moves very nicely through the water. Its not meant to be fast.
If yours is really slow perhaps its the prop that needs looking at. I use a 4 blade brass 40mm prop.
You can find loads of info. on this site for Springers.
Good luck

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:51:08 pm »

So much info you'll be reading for weeks, then you'll want another one-----and another-----and--------  O0
Steamed up all the time

chris holley

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:27:47 pm »

well i very much doubt i will want one after to days performance, it stopped to 2 hours to float back to the side lost count how many times i thought she would go down

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:19 am »

Chris , show us some pictures of your purchase. Insides as well, prop etc.
..well can you land on this?

chris holley

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:34:30 am »

ok here are some pics,

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:56:55 am »

That looks like a tidy Springer. Try another prop, that looks like a racing two blader ( coarse pitch.)   A brass (worth the money) three blade of 40mm max dia. might transform performance. Make sure the rotation suits your set-up ie right hand or left hand pitch. Check speed controller is programmed correctly and you can get full throttle.  Move batteries back till waterline is half inch up at the bow. Consider making a regulation sized rudder , square brass sheet soldered into slot on rudder post where the rivets are, (they can be filed out easily) . Take rudder out to solder square blade to post. Add foam insulation/floatation to all spare space, bow, stern. Dont ask why >:-o !!!!!
..well can you land on this?

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 07:45:18 pm »

I agree with the prop, that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, but a nice brass jobbie, try prop shop, Simon is really good to talk to, he has probably got a prop specifically for springers. and also fit anothe pivot point on the bottom of the rudder and fit a skeg from the keelson to the bottom of the rudder, it will make it a lot less vulnerable. Skeg 2nd photo down, in this post
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22158.0

Prop Shop home page.
http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/index.php?section=home
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.