Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: troublesome hemmens twin  (Read 2892 times)

dbninja

troublesome hemmens twin
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:06:46 pm »

All am in need of some help.....

the Hemmens twin-twin is proving troublesome after its twenty year lay-up..  basically it just isn't producing enough steam!

close everything and leave it running it gets to 40psi on the gauge and no more, the safety valve does not blow off, there is no visible steam loss

run one of the engines and it runs really wet and spits water out of the top of the valves and up the steam pipe running up the stack. running the engine quickly depletes the head and the engine soon stops as a result

i am thinking a couple of seals may have perished somewhere?  but where?

this is really frustrating as the thing is still like new

any advice from the collective?

thanks

David

Underpressure

Re: troublesome hemmens twin
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:37:25 pm »

My first thought is that the burners are not producing enough heat. If you are using the original can of gas, this is a likely culprit. Try a brand new can of propane / butane mix gas and see what happens.

I am also a little apprehensive about the gas feed system. On you photos, it appears the pipework is plastic. If the pipe is old and rigid, then you could well have gas leaks.

How hot is the exhaust of the boiler? If you cannot hold your hand over the flue, due to the heat, then that is good; if you can, then you need more heat.

There is also the possibility that the steam pipework is corroded on the inside, this would reduce the amount of steam that it will pass. Might be worth removing some of the pipework to have a look. If you find green corrosion, then you need to strip all the pipework off and remove the corrosion.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Neil

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:56:04 pm »

I think it would be useful to see the boiler as it could well be a challenge with the boiler rather than the engines.  We first need to know that it will raise steam efficiently and maintain the pressure as required  before we start on looking into the engines.  From what you say the boiler doesn't seem to be capable of doing it's job.

To start with I would disconnect the outlet from the boiler, along with any other pipes such as sight glass drains, shut the stop valve off and check everything on the boiler first.  You should be able to raise enough pressure to lift the safety, which should be set somewhere in the region of 80 psi within approximately 5-7 minutes, depending on how full it is.  I can see the valve on the bottom of the condenser is partly open, which if that is from the sight glass drain could loose you some pressure but if it is the condensate drain it shouldn't make any difference.

If it can't do this then start with all the possible problems with the boiler.  Neil has started you off with a couple of ideas but I would also check the gas jets, which can easily block up, position of the jets in the inlet pipe, etc..etc..

Lets prove the boiler is OK first.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bernhard

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:18:03 pm »

hi..try to clean the gas jet like Bunkerbarge sai.....be sure that you have empty the  oil/water tank  ,,few minute's after you have start the engine up...i one time have same  engine ,,and it did  spit water to ,,to engine was hot,,bot it was never a dry running engine,,,

Regards Bernhard

dbninja

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:11:55 pm »

My first thought is that the burners are not producing enough heat. If you are using the original can of gas, this is a likely culprit. Try a brand new can of propane / butane mix gas and see what happens.

I am also a little apprehensive about the gas feed system. On you photos, it appears the pipework is plastic. If the pipe is old and rigid, then you could well have gas leaks.

How hot is the exhaust of the boiler? If you cannot hold your hand over the flue, due to the heat, then that is good; if you can, then you need more heat.

There is also the possibility that the steam pipework is corroded on the inside, this would reduce the amount of steam that it will pass. Might be worth removing some of the pipework to have a look. If you find green corrosion, then you need to strip all the pipework off and remove the corrosion.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Neil

Neil

you might be on to something here...   yes its the original 20+ year old gas cannister....  the one that came with the engine when it was bought new :-))

and yes

i can hold my hand over the flue at about 9inches above... with no discomfort, if i shake the gas cannister it "picks up" on the burner!

there was some blocking of the lower level pipework, i have cleared it all bar one...........  (david thinks out loud!!!)

i havent checked the return to the clack valve.... this is one of the longest lowest pipes on the plant

"here we go again!"

thanks guys
David

Underpressure

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:24:11 pm »

1st job then is to change the gas, I'll bet things pick up a bit after that  :-))

Neil

benjaml1

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:45:53 pm »

Just to add.... I have been doing a bit of silver soldering of late & my trusty 15 year old bottle of MAPP gas finally gave out. I purchased another but this time by Rothenberger & it came today. Had a little task of making a coupling & wondered if I had enough heat...I fired this puppy up & Woaaaaaa..... What a difference !!!  :-))

Neil

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »

Did this boiler/engine set-up ever get resolved?
I can only see criticism, were there any positives in the end? Did the outfit get sold in the end?
It looks very nice to me. Surely if it's a Hemmens, there couldn't be much wrong with it.
I'll bet if it was a Monehan, there would be no criticism. Maybe I'm wrong.

Underpressure

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »

We're not all Hemmens fans, I just choose to post on what I know or have had direct experience of.

As I live a few miles from where Cheddar Models were based, there are not too many Hemmens plants around here and so I have no experiences of them, good or bad.

Pointless post really, I just wanted to say that we don't all knock other peoples stuff.

(Another) Neil

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 07:12:30 pm »

I'm not seeing the criticism you're referring too. No one has made any negative comments about the quality of this lovely steam plant. What I do see members offering helpful suggestions on how to go about trouble shooting some performance issues.

I agree with what has already been suggested here that replacing the old gas with new would definitely be the first step. If trouble still continues after this then the second step would be to remove the gas jet or jets and soak them in a solvent to remove any residue that may have clogged them. Soak them overnight in a solvent such as rubbing alcohol and then blow compressed air backwards through them with a rubber tipped air compressor nozzle so you do not damage the face of the jets. Never attempt to insert anything into the small diameter orifice itself as this will permanently damage the jet. The odorizer that is added to the normally odorless Butane/Propane fuel can cause residue build up in the jets clogging them over time. If you need to replace the jets with new ones either Jerry from Cleavland Steam or Phil from Forrest Classics can supply you with replacements at a very reasonable cost. You might also try Mike Abbott from Maccsteam for the jets also. Be sure to check for gas leaks in the fuel line plumbing before attempting to ignite the burners for the first time. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW Neil, why is my name being brought up here?? What do I have to do with any of this???????
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.