Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Revell Type VII  (Read 12154 times)

Bunkerbarge

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,370
  • Location: Halifax, UK
Re: Another Revell Type VII
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »

All the running gear was purchased from a vendor in the UK by the name of SHG models here:

http://www.shgmodels.com/acatalog/

The motors are servo motors, the shafts are 2mm threaded shafts and the tubes are 4mm tubes.  I decided to have my motors below the tower so I used 12" shafts and 10" tubes.  The couplings as supplied were of a plastic UV joint type but they tended to vibrate too much so I repleced them with the Robbe rubber tube type couplings which have worked perfectly ever since.  The brass props also came from SHG and are left and right handed, threaded 2mm
Logged
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,370
  • Location: Halifax, UK
Re: Another Revell Type VII
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 03:06:58 pm »

Here's a few more recent shots of it out with the Corvette again and on another occassion when it was out with another example of the same model along with a very nicely done RC 1/72nd plastic S-boat.  The insides of that make the Corvette look quite big!!
Logged
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,370
  • Location: Halifax, UK
Re: Another Revell Type VII
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 09:51:22 am »

As with so many of these things just when you think you've finished with it you come up with another modification or improvement.  One thing that became apparent after a few hours of use was the fact that the shafts running in the "A" frames was not as good a fit as I would have preferred and were getting a bit worn, causing vibration.  A good blob of grease helped but I kicked myself for not fitting a proper brass bush in them as I had intended at one point, then decided it wasn't neccessary.

Then a member here who is making the same kit and fitted bushes to the "A" frames very kindly offered to make a couple for me and sent me two beautifully turned down brass bushes.  Unfortunately I had to dismantle the back ends to enable me to drill out the "A" frames but I was able to do it without damaging anything and all the pieces were easily glued back together afterwards.  The bushes were epoxied in place after drilling out to a nice clearance size to ensure that the shafts self centred and run smoothly in the bushes.

Anyway just a couple of shots of the process and since these the model has been run again and proved to be considerably smoother.  The model will now last a lot longer and run so much more smoothly than it ever did.

All I have to do now is apply a spot of paint and look for the next modificatin!!
Logged
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up