Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JJC Sound Unit....shorting?  (Read 5731 times)

ruffair

JJC Sound Unit....shorting?
« on: December 16, 2006, 09:52:41 pm »

Hi Guys

I'm trying to wire up a system using an Electronize ESC with a BEC in my single motor tug.  Motor runs fine normally, however when I plug in the JJC sound module everything stops dead.  Anyone have any thoughts?  The sound module is being powered via the receiver Y lead I assume.  Is this the normal set up?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ron

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JJC Sound Unit....shorting?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:59:42 pm »

It should work fine with an electronize esc, i have never had trouble with this combination, however, what are you using to power the receiver side of things? 5 cells definately works better than 4, unless you are using the BEC controllers. If you are on BEC, try a separate supply for the RX side. Also keep power to motors away from the RX side. Run wires for motors one side of the boat, and wires to electronics the other side.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 11:41:33 pm »

Funny you should say that.  I have a tug with an electronize controller with a Hitec receiver using its own battery.

When I plug in the JJC smoke unit the range drops down to a few feet.  I have spoken to Jim and I am going to do some further experimenting when I get home in March but I think there is some interference going on.  I did mount the JJC control unit next to the receiver so there are some possibilites there.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 01:23:58 pm »

Hi Bunkerbarge
I sent my JJC stuff back I told Jim that i was getting interference the rudder was going ape with very good separation of the RX and other stuff anyway Jim said i should put the unit in a plastic bag and rap it up in tin foil that did not sound like an ideal solution and something that i should not have to do so i sent it back and you all know the trouble i had with his smoke unit that also went back.
Sound is now by way of my sons MP3 player and smoke is courtesy of a tried & trusted Hunter unit.
cheers
gary rowe
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

ruffair

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 01:31:30 pm »

I'm using a 12v battery as supply.  I'm just trying things on the bench at the moment.  But as I say evrything is fine up until I plug in the sound module.

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 01:39:14 pm »

Ruffair
Yep if it was made right it would do what it says on the tin.
If it works on the bench today the next time you use it could be 3 months later at the lakeside and all sorts of stuff could go wrong,and your access could be very difficult .
Be afraid very afraid
gary rowe

ruffair

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 02:42:25 pm »

OK, tried it on the bench today and whether it is with the 12v power or a seperate 6v ni-cad supply on the receiver every time the module is plugged in it goes dead. ???

Does anyone know if JJC do repairs to their units?  My e:mail of last week to them is so far unanswered.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 04:02:36 pm »

JJC is very good on repairs, another tip is to use 5 cell (6volt) supply for your radio, some of the sound systems play up at 4 cells (4.8V)
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 09:21:12 pm »

Guys
All the advice on this site is as always excellent so why does JJC not put stuff like this in his instructions,it runs better on 5 cells rather than 4 oh please rap it in tin foil,i will say this for him if you send it back he will swoop or repair it but as you all say its impossible to get in touch with the JJC pimpernel

ruffair

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 09:11:38 am »

Andy

I was using a 5 cell supply.  It doesn't seem to matter what the soiurce is the whole system goes dead when the sound module is plugged in.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:59:13 pm »

May I sugest that the sound module may be short circuit and dragging down your batteries. 

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

OMK

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 02:04:11 am »

Ruffair:

I'm fumbling in the dark since I have little knowledge of the Electronize ESC, and limited knowledge on the JJC sound module also. But from what I've gleaned from the technical howdy-doody, it seems JC has stuck a 15W amplifier on his board. That could be a clue to the problem.
Fifteen watts would draw a fair amount of juice, and I'm guessing that the BEC circuitry inside the ESC just isn't up to the job. Perhaps it's being overloaded and going into thermal shut-down.

Would it help if you try the same lash-up, but with a separate battery supply to the sound module?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 06:12:57 am »

Martin

Please do me a favour and put a notice on the Forum for me...

A DHL delivery van was hijacked/stolen in North Cheshire, south of Warrington (Little Leigh)  this afternoon.  One of the 40 parcels stolen contained sound modules en-route from JJC Electronics to Reade Models.  These were mainly Christmas presents ordered for model boaters all over the UK.

If anybody is offered any sound modules either 'under the counter' or at discounted prices would they please contact me at malcolm.reade@readebusiness.com

Thanks, and all the best fror Christmas.

Regards, Malcolm

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ruffair

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 09:51:59 am »

PMK

Thanks for the thought.  Trouble is if I give the sound module a separate supply it will end up getting powered from both the BEC (via the Y lead) as well as the separate battery.  Not sure about that.  I feel something could blow!

Ron

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 01:58:56 pm »

The amplifier supply is separate from the 'sound' supply which come from the receiver. Although they are both on the same board, for master units, they are separate electrically.

Barrie

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 10:32:21 pm »

Hi  lads i have an electronize fr30 in my tug and a JJC sound unit as well both running from the same 12v supply and connected to the hitec receiver via Y lead and a 4 cell powering the Rx .no probs with cut out only at first with the sound unit been cut out and that was because there were no suppressors on the bow thruster motor ,sorted that and all ok .so just follow the instructions on the box and you wont go far wrong 
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

ruffair

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 07:14:18 pm »

Thanks for the hint about seperate power supplies Barrie.  Connected every thing up status light went on but no sound.  So I then added a slave module and glory of glories; very loud tugboat fog horns (Appropiate given the weather.  No chance of ships hitting the Ruffair houshold tonight!)

So I must assume that I still have a problem with the engine sound side of things.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 07:42:43 pm »

Have you tried connecting the engine sound module direct to the Rx? Then try connecting the motor direct. Don't use the Y lead. See what works - if anything! The results of these tests might point to the problem.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.