Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graham VR1A in situ  (Read 2479 times)

mogogear

Graham VR1A in situ
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:05:42 pm »

Does any one have one of these engines in their boat ? Maybe willing to share a video or some close up pictures? I have small open launch I think this would be ideal for and want to check out it's real life application. BTW- The TRV1A is too big for my hull and my boiler is not large enough.....

Before I go and build one- I would like to know form anyone first hand - how it performs- any reversing difficulties, and servo issues with the reversing lever etc..power etc..Though I am not overly concerned with power- this is a small , lightweight launch

Thank you very much for input, opinions,  feedback, pictures etc!! :-))

Bernhard

Re: Graham VR1A in situ
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:38:25 pm »

hi....i have one......only have it in the water a few times.......work ok,,,,,,,

regards Bernhard                      working her                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03G8oXZ2OEM

mogogear

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:02:56 pm »

Thanks Bernhard ---I thought you did - but got lost in all your videos to find it...So you just keep it at a nice steady throttle and reverse when you need to avoid something-- kind of scale speed F and R and grab her when she comes in to port!!

My new / old hull is much smaller than yours, and a horizontal boiler would keep her steadier--As usual -What I have doesn't fit my current project..Oh well- I normally don't let that stop me too long :embarrassed:

That just means there is more buying or selling or swapping to be done!

Thanks again Bernhard-- if there are more owners out there feel free to chime in

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:50 am »

Mo, I have the Graham single in a 920mm open launch built in ply from the Model Boats mag plans called Ritalea. It pushes this along easily and consumes very little steam. The prop is about 56mm from memory but I can check if you want. The boiler is a 6" by 3" home built horizontal centre flue and 30psi is enough to run well. At 40psi she fair flys along. I have a Bruce Engineering throttle setup but have not tried to operate the reverse because I was worried the engine would stop but now I know it can be done I might try it sometime. Having said that only one of my steam boats has reverse working and I rarely use it. Hope this helps, Ian.

mogogear

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:09 pm »

Thanks Ian

Do you have any videos of yours underway?? I always like to see others boats!!

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:51:03 am »

Sorry but that sort of technology (and more importantly the skill to use it) has not spread to my place yet. I will try and attach a photo during construction and will get a photo of the completed boat on the water sometime soon. I always seem to be too busy working things to remember to take photos at the lake. Cheers, Ian.

mogogear

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:19 pm »

All good--The difficulty of running a R/C radio and filming is very real to me as well... hard to do either very well at the same time %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.